WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
That's worth fixing. Pre caliber 5 on the dial suggests this will have an eta 2824-2 which is a bonus since they are using sw200-1 now. Easy repair and easy to just replace the movement. This is assuming it is authentic, there were a lot of fakes on these. Opening the back will confirm authenticity so if you can do it safely and get a pic you can confirm the movement. But to be honest it looks legit.
It was sent off for authentication directly after purchase and sent back confirmed. Fingers crossed it won’t be a hard fix.

·
Registered
16,955 Posts
It was sent off for authentication directly after purchase and sent back confirmed. Fingers crossed it won’t be a hard fix.
?

How does this work?

Surely they would have checked the movement as part of the authentication process?

I’m curious as to why whoever did this wouldn’t have noted it wasn’t running…

SoOoO many watches SoOoO little time...

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
I don't know if you'll read this but ..............

If you live in or near a city of any significant size there should be a watch repair service near you. You need to kinda qualify these places and the people that say, "Hi can I help you" because not all of them really know what they are doing. A check up to see what has you jammed is in order and unless you have proper tools trying to open that watch isn't a good ides, beside what would you be looking for?

I won't bother telling you probable causes for the watch not working but will tell you that you can buy a eta 2824-2 Top grade movement for $300 and a Certified movement for $425 if you shop.

I have a 2015 Aquaracer Cal 5 that I got new. It gave me trouble throughout the three year warranty period and was repaired three times by Tag Heuer. The fourth time it stopped on me it was out of warranty and I bought a certified / COSC 2824 eta movement and installed it. That was 13 months ago and since then the only time I had to set the time was at daylight savings changes.

It was necessary to regulate the watch after the new motor was installed but once done I have a great watch. Incidentally Tag covered part of my expense with the movement change.

No my watch doesn't have the Tag branded SW200 movement in it but I have it in repaired form just because I can. The watch works perfectly and I won't ever sell so it's a happy outcome for me.

Shop and use your head.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Seller thought it was dead battery, didn’t realize it was an auto that wasn’t working. Just have it serviced. You are basically breaking even at that point.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Watch Analog watch White Light Product Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive wheel system Alloy wheel Analog watch Gadget Camera accessory Audio equipment Auto part White Light Automotive tire Rim Font
I’m not a watchmaker by any means but the rotor seems to be damaged. And there is a screw missing in the movement. The rotor will not make a full rotation either way. It gets stuck a quarter of the way around. I didn’t go in depth with investigation as I wouldn’t be able to repair it myself. But I HAVE seen a gasket come out after replacing the case back that was keeping a rotor from free spinning. So I did just want to check and make sure it wasn’t something simple.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I don't know if you'll read this but ..............

If you live in or near a city of any significant size there should be a watch repair service near you. You need to kinda qualify these places and the people that say, "Hi can I help you" because not all of them really know what they are doing. A check up to see what has you jammed is in order and unless you have proper tools trying to open that watch isn't a good ides, beside what would you be looking for?

I won't bother telling you probable causes for the watch not working but will tell you that you can buy a eta 2824-2 Top grade movement for $300 and a Certified movement for $425 if you shop.

I have a 2015 Aquaracer Cal 5 that I got new. It gave me trouble throughout the three year warranty period and was repaired three times by Tag Heuer. The fourth time it stopped on me it was out of warranty and I bought a certified / COSC 2824 eta movement and installed it. That was 13 months ago and since then the only time I had to set the time was at daylight savings changes.

It was necessary to regulate the watch after the new motor was installed but once done I have a great watch. Incidentally Tag covered part of my expense with the movement change.

No my watch doesn't have the Tag branded SW200 movement in it but I have it in repaired form just because I can. The watch works perfectly and I won't ever sell so it's a happy outcome for me.

Shop and use your head.
Hopefully this won’t be a tough repair. Possibly just a rotor replacement, best case scenario?

·
Registered
954 Posts
Hopefully this won’t be a tough repair. Possibly just a rotor replacement, best case scenario?
A watch that age will definitely need a full service (a full/complete service is recommended every 4 - 6 years for most mechanical watches). The movement appears to be a Sellita SW200 which is a clone of the ETA 2824. It's a ubiquitous movement so any decent watchmaker should be able to service the movement. You'll also want the gaskets replaced and water resistance tested prior to exposing the watch to water. That should be included in a full service.

If you don't have a decent watchmaker, you might need to send it to TAG Heuer Customer Service. Look up the cost of a complete service for your country (in Canada it's $365 which isn't that bad). Considering what you spent on the watch, the overall investment shouldn't be too bad. You will end up with a beautiful watch in the end.

If you elect to only fix parts of the watch just to get it working, you're asking for trouble unless you don't care about accuracy, power reserve, water resistance, etc. If it were me, I'd just get a service completed and then enjoy the watch.

Good luck!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
A watch that age will definitely need a full service (a full/complete service is recommended every 4 - 6 years for most mechanical watches). The movement appears to be a Sellita SW200 which is a clone of the ETA 2824. It's a ubiquitous movement so any decent watchmaker should be able to service the movement. You'll also want the gaskets replaced and water resistance tested prior to exposing the watch to water. That should be included in a full service.

If you don't have a decent watchmaker, you might need to send it to TAG Heuer Customer Service. Look up the cost of a complete service for your country (in Canada it's $365 which isn't that bad). Considering what you spent on the watch, the overall investment shouldn't be too bad. You will end up with a beautiful watch in the end.

If you elect to only fix parts of the watch just to get it working, you're asking for trouble unless you don't care about accuracy, power reserve, water resistance, etc. If it were me, I'd just get a service completed and then enjoy the watch.

Good luck!
So they’ll get the watch going during a full service? Or charge extra for repairing on top of the service charge?

Sorry, I’ve actually never had a watch serviced. I just got in to horology hot and heavy within the past 2 years. All of my previous watches have been Walmart Casios or Timex. I received a Hamilton Khaki King Auto as a wedding gift and that kicked off my interest in watches and it’s been a flame burning bright ever since!

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
It takes a lot to knock loose the rotor like that. It all looks correct with the sw200. A service should be quoted to replace any parts needed and the rotor can be pressed back together also part of the service. Likely the loose screw lodged somewhere in the movement causing it to not run, ive seen it a hundred times. Easy fix if nothing unusual is broken, these are very durable so I wouldn't expect anything serious.

Reactions: jamesbiz

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
It takes a lot to knock loose the rotor like that. It all looks correct with the sw200. A service should be quoted to replace any parts needed and the rotor can be pressed back together also part of the service. Likely the loose screw lodged somewhere in the movement causing it to not run, ive seen it a hundred times. Easy fix if nothing unusual is broken, these are very durable so I wouldn't expect anything serious.
Awesome! Fingers crossed..I’ll keep you all updated.

·
Registered
784 Posts
A watch in that poor condition, and having a movement that is damaged? You over paid at $400. Honestly, return it. Will a watch maker get it working again? Sure. But at what cost? And why is a screw missing? This will not just be a quick job, and who knows what else is wrong with it. The cost of repair, and cost of the watch, and the knowledge that the movement had this big of an issue, would put me off right away.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts