WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I have a Aquastar Geneve Deepstar that is in excellent condition and in working order. My late father left some jewelry and I came across this watch. I had never seen him wear this watch and it must have been laying there for years and years asleep. I have wound it up and all is working and it keeps great time.

I have attached a picture. I am hoping somebody could give me some further details on this watch. It's worth? Is it rare? Collectible?

I would really appreciate further info.

Thanks in advance. Image (1).jpg

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,482 Posts
It looks to me like a 1970's vintage chronograph in excellent cosmetic condition. Chronographs and Aquastar watches are both collectible but it is not rare. It really is not possible to do meaningful valuations over the net. Ebay will be the best source for a value. Search completed auctions for realized prices for comparable watches. Although the watch may run chances are the lubricants have dried considerably. If you plan on using it a service is needed. Expect that will cost $600+ because it is a complex movement.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
Since it was your father's watch, this was a great find! I would get this serviced and back in tip top shape if it were me...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Could I ask is it best to keep the movement of the watch going or leave it?
I think it would be nice to keep it however I don't know many dealers in the UK that would service it. I don't want to spend silly money. Is this a piece that will increase in value?

Regards

·
Moderator at Large
54,035 Posts
An interesting find. Not that rare but a lot of people searching for one. Great history, probably powered by a sought for Valjoux 23 movement. Jaques Cousteau used to own one. I am sure a service is necessary to keep it in good working condition. For prices: google is your friend.

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,482 Posts
See above. Don't keep the movement running and don't even run it until it is serviced. There is nothing at all silly about spending money for maintenance on any mechanism. Be it an inherited watch or an automobile.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
See above. Don't keep the movement running and don't even run it until it is serviced. There is nothing at all silly about spending money for maintenance on any mechanism. Be it an inherited watch or an automobile.
Good afternoon,

*UPDATE* I have had the watched serviced by Ryte Time and the watch is still under warranty for the next 5 months. I have decided to sell to the right person for the right price.

If anybody is interested please contact me. I do not want to post the watch overseas. I will listen to sensible starting offers over £1650. Last year I was offered in excess of this and I declined.

The watch is in excellent condition. These watches seem to be highly collectible and look great on the wrist.

Regards

Ian

·
Premium Member
12,971 Posts
An interesting find. Not that rare but a lot of people searching for one. Great history, probably powered by a sought for Valjoux 23 movement. Jaques Cousteau used to own one. I am sure a service is necessary to keep it in good working condition. For prices: google is your friend.
Valjoux 92 is more what you find in this one. But mint examples are expensive and shouldn't be sold because they are scarce to find and become more and more expensive over the years. I paid for my benthos a steal a while back, now it costs a fortune.

·
Premium Member
12,971 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts