WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I have an older Aquatimer, ref. 3548-05, the internal bezel style in the black/white colorway. The user manual makes reference to the watch being shock-proof and having anti-magnetic properties...

Can anyone tell me more about this? Does IWC construct their own anti-shock cages or other tech? How many A/m is the watch designed to resist?

Thanks!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Hello,

I'm not that familiar with the technical details of your watch, however I strongly doubt it has a Faraday cage like the pilot watches. As far as the shock resistance, it can obviously take some amount of shock. I'm not sure if it's capable of taking a harder shock than other ETA 2892 based movements. Additionally, I'm not sure if there exists a standard metric of "shock resistance".

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
There is no standard metric for shock resistance in horology as far as I know, however I'm wondering if IWC has designed and implemented their own measures, or if they rely on ETA's stock Incabloc tech... Since they felt compelled to state literally in the first paragraph of the manual that the watch is shock resistant and anti-magnetic, you'd think there's probably some IWC-engineered tech to initiate those claims in the first place... Just wondering if anyone knows precisely what it is...

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Just picked up a 3538 myself and like you I noticed that statement in the manual too. I'd love to know also.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts