WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an interesting exchange with the only ad in my area. I recently purchase a 43 mm on rubber and a 40 mm on SS. When the 40 mm came in, I was concerned that the bracelete was too narrow at the clasp. Rather than size it myself, I took it to the ad (the screws are pretty well glued in). So, I asked to see the 43mm bracelete just to see how much bigger it was and he said, the 40 mm watch is a ladies watch. I know the 36mm is meant for ladies, but isn't the 40mm basically the same size and dimensions as a Rolex sub? I know the clasp isn't as long, but it's width is about the same. Anyone have any feedback or anything on this? I really like the dial size of the 40mm, but already concerned about the bracelete size coupled with being told it was a woman's watch- feeling a bit like returning it.

thoughts? For the record, I don't think the 40mm looks like a ladies watch, personally, I'm used to larger watches and am concerned I won't wear it. I don't think it looks bad. I currently wear the 43mm and a bell and ross 46 mm - so my tastes just tend toward larger straps/bracelets.

thanks,

·
Registered
60,608 Posts
I could see why the bracelet might be narrower at the clasp on the 40mm than it was on the 43mm so that it blended in better with the slightly smaller watch but I've never heard it referred to as a ladies watch and don't believe it was designed with ladies in mind but us skinny wristed types. The 36mm black bezel Aquis was intended for ladies but not the 40mm one.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is my assumption too. I'm torn, if I get it sized - I'm stuck with it - I love the size of the dial - anyone wear a 43 and a 40 and feel comfortable in both?

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
...and he said, the 40 mm watch is a ladies watch.
Totally not correct. The ladies Aquis models are 36mm, have diamonds as hour markers, and the strap/bracelet size at the lugs is 18mm. The sales person is a complete idiot who doesn't know the first thing about the products he's selling.

The 40mm Aquis is a man's watch for someone who prefers a watch that isn't oversized, or wants something that will do great double duty in dress-casual situations and will fit nicely under a sleeve (although if a woman wants to go for the oversize diver look, there's certainly no reason why she couldn't wear it... they do it with men's Rolexes).

Unless your watch looks like this, you have a man's Aquis.

8166_733_7652_41_94_rs.png

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Brent, that's what I thought - I was so put off by the salesman - i just said thanks and left! Now as for sizing the bracelet - any warnings or suggestions? I don't really want to take it to the ad - I really didn't care for him.

·
Registered
60,608 Posts
As you have already discovered Oris can be a little liberal with the thread lock on bracelets so it's important to make sure that the screwdriver you use fits the screw slot exactly to avoid chewing the screw head up. If the screw/s are still a bit reluctant try a bit of very hot water on the thread end to loosen the threads. If you're as clumsy as me it might be an idea to put a bit of masking tape on the bracelet in case you slip.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
Thanks Brent, that's what I thought - I was so put off by the salesman - i just said thanks and left! Now as for sizing the bracelet - any warnings or suggestions? I don't really want to take it to the ad - I really didn't care for him.
If you want to try it yourself, make sure sure you have a high quality screwdriver that's exactly the correct size (not a soft Chinese screwdriver that will bend in two seconds and damage the screw head). Second, wrap around the edge of the link, over the screw head, with a couple of layers of masking tape, then pierce the tape at the screw and try to remove it. The tape will help to prevent the screwdriver from skipping, and if it does skip the tape will protect the link from damage.

If the screw is locked tight, try applying heat, as they may have applied thread locking compound and the heat will soften it. I've even used a small torch, sparingly, in the past, or a lighter. It won't damage or discolor the metal as long as you don't overdo it (which you don't need to). If it's still too tight, move on to a different link (it usually doesn't matter which link you remove, as most (or all) of them will be the same size. Sometimes one will be locked tight but the others will release.

If that fails, take it to a legitimate watch repair shop (watchmaker) as they will have vices, correct screwdrivers, and lots of experience. They might not even charge you for it as a goodwill gesture, especially if you ask them about future servicing (they would love to have your business down the road when it comes time to service the watch). Check the Yellow Pages and there is probably a section specifically for Watch Repair. Don't take it to the AD or a jeweler unless they have a legitimate watchmaker onsite for service who will do it, otherwise you'll probably end up with a 'hack' salesperson trying to do it and the chances of the bracelet and screw head being damaged will go up astronomically. The advantage of having it done by the AD's service person (if you trust their competence) is that if they damage it it's going to be their responsibility to repair or replace the part, plus they might know a few tricks having done it with Oris bracelets in the past. Having it done by a third party might make such a situation more 'complicated' since they didn't sell you watch and didn't make anything off it.

My personal experience has been that I've always been successful getting screws out of Oris bracelet links, even without heat. They're stiff, but the thread area contact area is small and can be broken loose just with the screwdriver and some back and forth effort (alternating clockwise and counter-clockwise). Where the bigger problem lies with Oris bracelets or straps is at the lugs. They use thick screw bars, with thread locker, and the locking compound often runs down where it's not supposed to be (between the screw bar and the lug). This means that even if you get the screw head out, the bar itself will still be completely welded to the inside of the lug by the thread locking compound. It can be almost impossible to get out, and I had to literally drill out the bar on one of my watches (and replace it with a new one) because it wouldn't release.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the advice. The funny thing is, I was able to remove the strap lugs fairly easily. I have had no luck moving the screws on the links. Do you know the right size screw driver for the 40mm bracelet? I am guessing it is around 1.0mm? I will admit, I probably haven't applied enough pressure yet, as I don't want to mark up the screws or the links. I can't tell if my screw driver is high enough quality to withstand the force. I am planning on purchasing a good one, but wanted to know the size first. Thanks for all of the information!

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
The bracelet link screws are 1.2mm on the 43mm Aquis. I think they would be the same size on the 40mm Aquis bracelet.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Happy to report- I sized the bracelet and am glad I kept the watch!! It's a nice companion to the 43 mm aquis on rubber! Thanks everyone for the help! Glad to finally be an oris owner!! (Been wanting one for a few years)

·
Registered
104 Posts
The sales person is a complete idiot who doesn't know the first thing about the products he's selling.
This happens a lot in Canada, as I do not think Oris is that popular here, a sales told me that their Movado Bold would be a nice replacement to my Oris TT1 DD SS, right it would be...not.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No drama no scratches! I am not a huge fan of the screws/glue situation - but otherwise, I am really impressed with Oris so far. I probably would have made the zipper box smaller - so it could be used as a legit travel case - its so big, I can't imagine taking it anywhere. But both the 43mm and the 40mm aquis are great watches.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I own both a 43mm and 40mm as well. The are both fantastic watches! The 40mm is my "if I could have only one watch" watch.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Thank you for the advice. The funny thing is, I was able to remove the strap lugs fairly easily. I have had no luck moving the screws on the links. Do you know the right size screw driver for the 40mm bracelet? I am guessing it is around 1.0mm? I will admit, I probably haven't applied enough pressure yet, as I don't want to mark up the screws or the links. I can't tell if my screw driver is high enough quality to withstand the force. I am planning on purchasing a good one, but wanted to know the size first. Thanks for all of the information!
Oris is is notorious for using loctite and too much of it. Applying heat is a waste of time and can damage your movement and/or gaskets. You should never have your watch in or near boiling water of a blow torch.

Simply find the right size screwdriver then begin by tightening the link screw first. There should be about a 1/4-1/2 turn in the link from the factory. It is much easier to move a screw by tightening it due to the applied pressure while turning. This slight turn will break up the loctite and you should be able to then unscrew the pin easily.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts