WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

Looking for advice from Oris experts. Do they change their models, colours etc regularly?

I basically buy 1 watch a year - I have my own company, and the better year I have, the better bonus I get in December, and a third of that goes on a watch.
This year my shortlist was:
1) Oris Great Barrier Reef (can't get, was LE and none left in Western Europe even at factory!)
2) Tudor Pelagos Blue
3) Oris Aquis Blue

The Tudor is chronometer, titanium, and twice the price of the aquis.
But I love both.
I know the Tudor is rising in price in Feb, 3 different ADs told me this (UK economy issue) but I can get one from my usual AD with a chunk off, about 17%.
So I'm leaning towards buying the Tudor now and the Aquis next year. I just don't know if they might change their colour scheme etc by then?
Or is the Aquis blue a kind of standard model that they'll have around for years?

Just to be clear its the sort of turquiose-blue dial and bezel, the model where in certain light the dial appears closer to a grey - I've reposted another users pic below

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
That's the same blue Oris has been using ever since the Aquis was introduced. I own one -- "slate grey" would be a much more appropriate description of the dial and bezel color. I can't imagine that Oris is going to change the shade in the coming year, if ever. If you want a much more vibrant blue, then the Pelagos is the clear choice.

IMG_0291.JPG

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the same blue Oris has been using ever since the Aquis was introduced. I own one -- "slate grey" would be a much more appropriate description of the dial and bezel color. I can't imagine that Oris is going to change the shade in the coming year, if ever. If you want a much more vibrant blue, then the Pelagos is the clear choice.

View attachment 10366146
I basically couldn't decide between them.
Sometimes I like the Pelagos as even though its a very obvious blue, it is understated, matt finish, slim case and light due to the titanium.
Other times I think, why would I want understated yet blue...

And I've tried the Aquis on a few times and love it, I love that colour, I've a couple grey watches and this is a little different, and it's the shine and build of a real steel divers watch you can spot from near 100m let alone dive that depth.

So I figured, I'd get both... its just a matter of the order, and that I can wait until next Dec!
The 0% finance is so tempting...

·
Registered
27,043 Posts
I basically couldn't decide between them.
Sometimes I like the Pelagos as even though its a very obvious blue, it is understated, matt finish, slim case and light due to the titanium.
Other times I think, why would I want understated yet blue...

And I've tried the Aquis on a few times and love it, I love that colour, I've a couple grey watches and this is a little different, and it's the shine and build of a real steel divers watch you can spot from near 100m let alone dive that depth.

So I figured, I'd get both... its just a matter of the order, and that I can wait until next Dec!
The 0% finance is so tempting...
The blue used on the pelagos is anything but understated, it's pretty much "scream in your face blue"

·
Banned
1,382 Posts
It's odd how they list the Great Barrier Reef II as a blue dial but it's like a dark deep navy blue that appears to be pretty much glossy black with maybe a sheen or hint of navy in certain light.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you speaking about this model Great Barrier Reef ll Limited Edition? It's out there as I found mine at an AD online. It's a beauty!
Yes, although I'm in Scotland, amd exchange rates got a lot worse recently, tax is an issue, and ideally I'd like it on the rubber strap.
Buying within UK, or even in person would always be my first choice.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The blue used on the pelagos is anything but understated, it's pretty much "scream in your face blue"
Well yes I suppose it stands out in that respect, but having tried it on in person the dark titanium and matte colour meant it didn't actually stand out next to some Omega, Oris and whatever else it was I tried that day.
Also understated in that its not a Rolex, I see about 20 people a day wearing them where I work, yet it is still a rolex in some respects and its the in-house cosc movement too.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I would assume that there would be some new releases in the Aquis line for Baselworld in March. A large number of new Aquis models were added in 2016, so I would not bank on a particular model hanging around forever.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
I was sure I had a blue Aquis heading my way a couple of weeks ago but it was lost in the pre-Christmas USPS system. I just purchased a pre-owned blue Aquis this evening and am looking forward to receiving it by the end of next week. To say that I am excited would be an understatement.

·
Banned
1,382 Posts
Are you speaking about this model Great Barrier Reef ll Limited Edition? It's out there as I found mine at an AD online. It's a beauty!
Yes, although I'm in Scotland, amd exchange rates got a lot worse recently, tax is an issue, and ideally I'd like it on the rubber strap.
Buying within UK, or even in person would always be my first choice.
I certainly understand about the taxes and exchange rate. I'll be glad to send you different photos in different light. I know my ad had this piece on a rubber strap too. Only thing is he's in the US. He will give you a deal if you tell him I referred you. It may offset your expenses. Just let me know. I can assure you that you will love this piece in person. It hasn't left my wrist since it arrived. I can't stop looking at it.

·
Premium Member
60,810 Posts
That blue is pretty much an Aquis standard and I would be most surprised if Oris stopped producing it any time soon. Mind you it's very popular and it wouldn't be the first time that Oris chopped a best seller. All things considered I'd take the gamble on it still being around.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts