WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just hoping that BALL will consider introducing AR coating for the sapphire glass in the future.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Ball already uses AR coating,just not on the outer side of the crystal

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ball already uses AR coating,just not on the outer side of the crystal
Really? When they mentioned "Anti-Reflective Convex Sapphire Glass", do they actually mean "Anti-reflective coating on the inside of the glass. And glass was made convex to further enhance the function" ?

I noticed that my Ball watch has better anti-reflectivity compared to my Seiko 5 (though not far more superior), but when I compared Ball with my newly purchased Fortis, the latter is miles ahead. Hence to say, AR on the outer side of the glass is far more effective than when coating inside the glass ?

·
Registered
9,059 Posts
Really? When they mentioned "Anti-Reflective Convex Sapphire Glass", do they actually mean "Anti-reflective coating on the inside of the glass. And glass was made convex to further enhance the function" ?

I noticed that my Ball watch has better anti-reflectivity compared to my Seiko 5 (though not far more superior), but when I compared Ball with my newly purchased Fortis, the latter is miles ahead. Hence to say, AR on the outer side of the glass is far more effective than when coating inside the glass ?

then the outer AR coating gets scratched because it's softer than the sapphire beneath. Mine as well use mineral crystal instead. At least you got a better chance buffing a scratch out.

Sean

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
My experience with AR coating on the outside of the crystal is that when it scratches, your done.

·
Registered
831 Posts
some co.s coat the inside and the outside, so theoretically A/R would be better and more noticeable. There is a concern as previously noted about the outside coatings and the fact that over time the A/R coating can scratch or wear.

I have found my Ball watches to have no issues w/ reflections.

I prefer the inside coatings. Breitling does a very very good job w/ their A/R coatings often making the crystals completely invisible.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all that who has posted. Appreciate all your comments.

Lastly, let me verify this again. So, Ball watch has an inner glass AR coating.
And the convex glass is to futher enhance it. Right.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Thanks to all that who has posted. Appreciate all your comments.

Lastly, let me verify this again. So, Ball watch has an inner glass AR coating.
And the convex glass is to futher enhance it. Right.
I went and did some research as what else is a WIS supposed to do.

I pulled out the 06 and the 07 Wristwatch Annual, and while they don't list every model, every one I checked had AR coating on the inside.

I also noticed that the Moonglow Line also has the AR coating on the outside, so maybe Ball can chime in and clarify for us.

I have had bad luck with AR on the outside...nothing terrible, but little superficial scratches that drive me insaneo|

I did some checking and see that many are touting that the AR of today is much improved.

Thanx for giving us all something to ponder about and have a nice day:)

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
I also noticed that the Moonglow Line also has the AR coating on the outside, so maybe Ball can chime in and clarify for us.

I have had bad luck with AR on the outside...nothing terrible, but little superficial scratches that drive me insaneo|

I did some checking and see that many are touting that the AR of today is much improved.

Thanx for giving us all something to ponder about and have a nice day:)
Hi Scott,

That's interesting, because I was told by a Ball watch rep that none of the Ball models have exterior AR coating because of the possibility of the coating getting scratched...and we all know what a pain that can be.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Hi Scott,

That's interesting, because I was told by a Ball watch rep that none of the Ball models have exterior AR coating because of the possibility of the coating getting scratched...and we all know what a pain that can be.

It has happenned to my all of us, and it is very disheartening.

I was reporting what I read in the Wristwatch Annual; perhaps someone can help clear this up.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
It has happenned to my all of us, and it is very disheartening.

I was reporting what I read in the Wristwatch Annual; perhaps someone can help clear this up.
Hi Scott,

I'm glad that you brought it up. Since you've read it in the Wristwatch Annual, it'd be great if someone from Ball Watch could weigh in and clarify.

;-)

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
an outer AR coating only makes sense when the coating is as hard (therefore scratch proof) or - at least - approximate as hard as the crystal itself. it makes no sense whatsoever to use super hard sapphire and "soften" it up with an insufficient coating. as far as I know the only company which can offer super hard (outer) AR coating right now is Sinn....

regards, holger

·
Registered
9,059 Posts
as far as I know the only company which can offer super hard (outer) AR coating right now is Sinn....

regards, holger

"super hard (outer) AR coating"? Plenty of examples where the U series outer AR coating has gotten scratched.

Sean

1 - 13 of 13 Posts