WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where would I go to get the products needed?
I've seen Cape Cod cloth, 1500 grain sandpaper, and Autosol tossed around.
Not sure what else I would use.

Would I be able to find them in a Home Depot/Lowes type place, or would I have to specifically order online?

I've called a few places, but the under-trained associates had no idea what I was talking about.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
What Seamaster is it?
If it's the SMP, there is only inner AR coating.

cheers,
Jake.

·
Registered
509 Posts
i removed the AR coating on my PO's using Brasso and a dremel tool with a small felt pad.

I found it a LOT quicker than trying to rub the coating off by hand - the coating is quite tough wearing so not as easy to remove as you may think, however with the dremel, it only took around 20 mins if I remember correctly...

If you ARE going to use something like a dremel, just be aware that the glass and watch head can get pretty hot from the friction because of the high speeds so be prepared to stop every 2-3 mins and cool the watch down a little..

cheers
Jeelan

·
Registered
224 Posts
Where would I go to get the products needed?
I've seen Cape Cod cloth, 1500 grain sandpaper, and Autosol tossed around.
Not sure what else I would use.

Would I be able to find them in a Home Depot/Lowes type place, or would I have to specifically order online?

I've called a few places, but the under-trained associates had no idea what I was talking about.
Whoa! Don't use 1500 grit sandpaper, that is WAY too rough. use a liquid polish like polywatch or Nexus #2

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Is the outer AR coating marked up? If it's not, why would you purposely want to remove a perfectly good AR coating. It makes the watch dial so much more crisper looking. I've gotten so many compliments on how the dial on my PO looks so clear and how the watch doesn't appear to have a crystal protecting the dial.

·
Premium Member
5,555 Posts
Is the outer AR coating marked up? If it's not, why would you purposely want to remove a perfectly good AR coating. It makes the watch dial so much more crisper looking. I've gotten so many compliments on how the dial on my PO looks so clear and how the watch doesn't appear to have a crystal protecting the dial.
I agree, unless the coating is damaged I would leave it alone.

·
Registered
8,410 Posts
I agree, unless the coating is damaged I would leave it alone.
It will certainly hurt resale value a bit if the coating were in decent shape to begin with as well as have your eBay listing show up in "Fakebusters" with the title, "SMP with No AR Coating -Another Fake?" ;-)

I personally wouldn't buy a used watch with this modification unless I got a really good price on it. Those that do this plan to keep them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.