WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been bitten by the German watch bug, it seems. I've had my eye on the Outdoor line for a few months now and I saw this pop up on the WUS sales section and couldn't resist.

This watch has exceeded my expectations and I think it will be going on my list of favorite watches under $1000.

You can read my detailed review here: https://www.beansandbezels.com/reviews/archimede-outdoor-protect-review/

And as always, pictures!

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Such a clean, crisp dial in the macro shots. I enjoyed reading your review. Give this watch some lugs and I believe that you have a serious contender against the 556 and the DS30.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Lovely watch. I had one, and selling it probably tops my list of watch regrets. Probably just luck, but it was the most accurate mechanical watch I ever had.

·
Moderator Emeritus
54,374 Posts
Such a clean, crisp dial in the macro shots. I enjoyed reading your review. Give this watch some lugs and I believe that you have a serious contender against the 556 and the DS30.
I do not think Archimede is interested in giving the Outdoor some lugs to become a serious 556 or DS30 contender. The Archimede Outdoor and its predecessor - Limes Outback - have been in the Ickler portfolio for decades now, I do not think Lisa is going to change this. At least I hope she does not.

·
Premium Member
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for this excellent review. I enjoyed reading it.
Thank you for taking the time to read it! :-!

Great pictures of a great watch, congrats!!
Thank you very much, and thanks for reading!

Very nice addition and great photos.
Thank you, I'm an amateur photographer and this white dial was particularly challenging.

+1....and thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.
Thank you Mike, this German watch addiction is in large part thanks to you and this forum :) :roll:

Lovely watch. I had one, and selling it probably tops my list of watch regrets. Probably just luck, but it was the most accurate mechanical watch I ever had.
The pre-owned prices are quite a steal, so you can always get one again! I haven't had spectacular results on the grapher, but -6spd is more than acceptable to me.

I do not think Archimede is interested in giving the Outdoor some lugs to become a serious 556 or DS30 contender. The Archimede Outdoor and its predecessor - Limes Outback - have been in the Ickler portfolio for decades now, I do not think Lisa is going to change this. At least I hope she does not.
I hope they don't change it too. I think this case is a wonderful breath of fresh air. As much as I love the DS30 and Sinn 556, the case designs are far from interesting. My only suggested upgrade would be to the clasp. And if they are looking for a radical upgrade, maybe an integrated bracelet design - but then folks will complain that it is encroaching into Gerald Genta territory :-d

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Great photos! Thanks for sharing! The Outdoor Protect has always been a watch on my to-get list if I ever needed a watch like this, and it does not need lugs to compete with others. :)

·
Registered
696 Posts
Archimede - a very cool understated brand making high quality Ickler watches.

Can we see a lume shot of your outdoor protect?

I Sinn, therefore I am.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, pardon any spelling errors.

·
Premium Member
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great photos! Thanks for sharing! The Outdoor Protect has always been a watch on my to-get list if I ever needed a watch like this, and it does not need lugs to compete with others. :)
Thanks for looking. I definitely support your decision and I don't think there's many watches like it!

Archimede - a very cool understated brand making high quality Ickler watches.

Can we see a lume shot of your outdoor protect?

I Sinn, therefore I am.
I do a full lume transition at 4:22!

·
Premium Member
7,127 Posts
I have always loved the Outdoor. If I didn't already own a LE 556 I'd buy one in a heart beat. I prefer it to the regular 556's.
Personally, I think they're the better deal and I actually love the case and overall design. Congrats!

·
Premium Member
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have always loved the Outdoor. If I didn't already own a LE 556 I'd buy one in a heart beat. I prefer it to the regular 556's.
Personally, I think they're the better deal and I actually love the case and overall design. Congrats!
Thank you! Yeah, this is a great contender against the 556 and DS30. The special edition 556s are awesome though. I'd love to own a 556 Mother of Pearl, Silver Japan LE or even the Slate!

Great review and nice camera work, it helped push me over the edge to order a blue dial.
Thank you for the kind words. Congratulations! I would love to see pictures of the blue dial when it arrives. I have considered selling the white for either the blue or green. I'm not particularly fond of white dials.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Thank you for the kind words. Congratulations! I would love to see pictures of the blue dial when it arrives. I have considered selling the white for either the blue or green. I'm not particularly fond of white dials.
Damn that was fast! But tbh I feel the same, the only reason I haven't purchased a Stowa Marine 36 small seconds yet is because I fear I'll find the white dial too boring.

What exactly don't you find attractive about white dials?

·
Premium Member
35,206 Posts
Nice looking watch and excellent pictures as well.

Enjoy.

·
Premium Member
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Damn that was fast! But tbh I feel the same, the only reason I haven't purchased a Stowa Marine 36 small seconds yet is because I fear I'll find the white dial too boring.

What exactly don't you find attractive about white dials?
Haha, no I think I wasn't clear. I purchased this watch with the sole intention of reviewing it for my website and then selling it. Which is why I purchased a white dial even though I don't like them. But then I ended up really liking the watch so I've been contemplating either keeping the white or selling the white and getting a black or blue dial.

I owned a white Omega Globemaster and wore it for two years. I grew to dislike that watch quite a bit and blamed the dial for it but there are other issues that I had with the watch - particularly the bracelet. Sold it earlier this year and decided to avoid white dials if I could.

Nice looking watch and excellent pictures as well.

Enjoy.
Thank you very much for reading!

·
Registered
696 Posts
So what is wrong with a white dial?

I Sinn, therefore I am.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts