WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering how the community feels about quartz movement watches that are high dollar valued items. I guess high dollar is relative to different variables so let's just say over $1000. Would you invest money into a quartz movement watch that cost that much?

·
Registered
Rolex 126200, UN San Marco, 2 Casios and 1 Timex
982 Posts
Excellent question. I have owned several older pre-owned Omega quartz watches where the movement failed. The replacement cost of a quartz movement was $270. Given that service on an automatic is $350-900 based on the brand it’s a wash.

Basically I feel that they are worth it if not vintage.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I haven't reached the point in my collecting career to consider one (will I ever?). Perhaps a 9F GS or one of the high end Citizen HAQ's would be something to look into. You might also get more educated responses from the HAQ sub-forum

·
Registered
953 Posts
A lot of brands just toss an ETA movement (that you can buy on eBay for $200) in a watch and charge $2-5k for it, so I don't see how $1,000 for a quartz is a bad value. There is value in a high quality case, bracelet, dial, etc.

Personally, I think my preference is pretty firmly for automatic at this point. I have 2 luxury quartz watches, an omega seamaster and a Breitling colt. I've "upgraded" to an automatic colt, and will very likely be doing the same with the seamaster if I can find a reasonable deal on an automatic one. I just don't like the tick-tick-tick of a quartz movement, otherwise I have no problem with them.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I've had a few QUARTZ, REFER MECHANICAL

UNLESS IT'S ONE OF THOSE SPECIALIZED QTZ ONLY LIKE BREITLING EMERGENCY , CHRONOSPORT UDT OR A CHASE DURER 1000XL UDT.
I DID HAVE A BRONZE GERALD GENTA MOON AND TRIPLE DATE ...
ALL OF THE ABOVE QTZ WATCHES ARE OVER $1000 SO THEYRE OUT THERE AND PEOPLE DO BUY THEM.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Yes but they're not at the top of my list, recently I had the chance to try on a SBBN Tuna which made me appreciate them even more.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
The same case and finish as the mechanical version that costs thousands more? Yeah I have no problem buying nice quartz watches depending on the watch and the situation. I may even prefer the quartz version, all things considered. At this point my most expensive quartz is a Seiko SBBN015.

·
Registered
180 Posts
High accuracy quartz is a good choice at that price. I wouldn't personally accept anything less. Grand Seiko hand assembles the movement with two separate watchmakers, and then polishes the movement, case, bracelets, and dial features by hand. That attention to detail for less than 2k is exemplary in the watch world.

(n) "invest", almost a banned word here.
Yep, very few watches can be considered an investment. I'm not sure why the word is used so often with watches.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I've had a few QUARTZ, REFER MECHANICAL

UNLESS IT'S ONE OF THOSE SPECIALIZED QTZ ONLY LIKE BREITLING EMERGENCY , CHRONOSPORT UDT OR A CHASE DURER 1000XL UDT.
I DID HAVE A BRONZE GERALD GENTA MOON AND TRIPLE DATE ...
ALL OF THE ABOVE QTZ WATCHES ARE OVER $1000 SO THEYRE OUT THERE AND PEOPLE DO BUY THEM.
Yell it out! Scream and shout! Caps lock stuck?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Depends. If you're just paying $1,000 plus for some fashion watch probably not. But if we're talking a modern Omega, Grand Seiko, Citizen or Tag then yeah. Those high-end Japanese quartz watches especially are sick and great value for money. Fantastic watches.

·
Registered
295 Posts
There are loads of quartz watches over $1000 worth every penny. And there are lots of mechanicals priced over $1000 that are just overpriced parts watches with cheap movements.

Don't fall for the hype. Mechanical watches are far more likely to be overpriced that quartz watches. Based on trends in collecting and demographic shifts, quartz watches are likely to be the next trend in vintage watch collecting as well, and will likely see steep appreciation.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Not all mechanical movements are equal to you (presumably), so neither should all quartz movements. There's more nuance in quartz movements than most seem willing to recognize.

The citizen 0100, gs 9f, seiko 7c46, eta precidrive, casio oceanus, seiko astron ... These are all far from run-of-the-mill stuff. High-performance quartz movements are not out of place on "luxury" watches. Not to mention that mich of what people pay for is case and dial design, with movement being a second-tier consideration.

Quartz has convenience, accuracy, durability, price. and despite what most people will rationalize, a quartz watch of quality is more likely to last decades.

Worth it to me when everything else is right.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
1k is too much for a quartz watch to me, but everything about watch collecting is subjective. A lot of people believe that 1k for any watch is ludicrous. It really is up to the person to decide what is worth it to them. There are no wrong answers to this question if the buyer is pleased!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
A lot of brands just toss an ETA movement (that you can buy on eBay for $200) in a watch and charge $2-5k for it, so I don't see how $1,000 for a quartz is a bad value. There is value in a high quality case, bracelet, dial, etc.
EXACTLY!!!! I don't know how this simple fact is so often overlooked or ignored.

However, most of the higher-end brands have stopped producing quartz models, so there's not much variety to choose from these days. Years ago I bought the quartz version of the Omega SMP 300m. Other than the deadbeat seconds hand you can't tell it apart from the mechanical version on the wrist, so I don't see why a quartz watch like that would be considered any less of a watch than the auto. But, Omega discontinued it a few years ago, so apparently I'm in the minority on that opinion. Its still working perfectly after 18 years, and keeps time within a few seconds a YEAR.

1 - 20 of 181 Posts