WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two non-atomic, non-Bluetooth G-Shocks, the G-6900 and the GA-800-1A. I have four other non-G-Shock watches in my smallish collection--again, none of them atomic or Bluetooth. I keep a running spreadsheet of monthly accuracy for each of my watches against atomic time. I really enjoy this additional monthly interaction with my babies and don't think I would buy a watch with popular atomic-sync or Bluetooth features. I like my watches to be self-contained and standalone.

With that background, I have been very pleasantly surprised at the quartz timekeeping on my solar 6900 and battery-powered GA-800. The 6900 averages +2 seconds/month, and the GA-800 has run EXACT to atomic time for the three months I've had it. My question is this: is it your experience that all standalone G-Shocks have this incredible accuracy, or am I just getting incredibly lucky? Can I expect the same accuracy with all G-Shocks? Kudos to Casio for producing such quality timekeeping devices.

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
You were lucky. My non-atomic Gs vary from about +1 to +10 seconds per month. Two of them were about +15 and +20 seconds per month until I adjusted the trimmer to improve the accuracy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You were lucky. My non-atomic Gs vary from about +1 to +10 seconds per month. Two of them were about +15 and +20 seconds per month until I adjusted the trimmer to improve the accuracy.
Thanks for the reply. I'm not familiar with "adjust[ing] the trimmer." Could you explain that to me?

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I'm not familiar with "adjust[ing] the trimmer." Could you explain that to me?
Many Gs have a trimmer capacitor adjustment screw on the back of the module that can be used to fine tune the accuracy. Casio seems to be leaving this feature off of some modules that were released in the past several years. Two that don't seem to have a trimmer are the GW-9400 and the GA-2100.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I only recently started tracking mine... for fun.... only for a few weeks now.

My most accurate, so far.... is the cheapest... the Casio Royale, which has been dead-nuts at +/- 0 seconds for 9 days.

Another cheap one.... Duro...has been running +0.14 sec / day for 23 days. That works out to +4.2 sec / month, so far.

Worst one, so far... my G-Steel GST-S300 at +0.38 sec / day over the course of 22 days. That works out to +11.4 sec / month, which is still better than Casio's claim of 15 sec / month.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Many Gs have a trimmer capacitor adjustment screw on the back of the module that can be used to fine tune the accuracy. Casio seems to be leaving this feature off of some modules that were released in the past several years. Two that don't seem to have a trimmer are the GW-9400 and the GA-2100.
Thanks for educating me. I had no idea, interesting.

·
Registered
Seiko auto's. Monster, Turtle, 5 Sports. Steeldive auto. G Shock. Edifice. Protrek. Casio.
757 Posts
As clocks went back 4 weeks ago today, just checked accuracy after 4 weeks.
Best is the Edifice, not gained or lost anything, but ime Edifice are always very accurate.
MTD-1079, not as good at +6 spm.
Non atomic digitals are the worst. GD-530 +14 spm and G-7800 at +23 spm. I'm sure the GD-350 wasn't this bad when i bought it a few years ago. The 7800 has always been out a lot.
I did buy an AE-2000 two weeks ago and that is only 1 sec fast now.
The rest of my G's & Protrek are solar/atomic, which is what i prefer. Only Edifice i'm happy to buy non atomic.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The frequency of a quartz module is directly dependent on its temperature. A non-thermocompensated quartz watch can then be extremely accurate at one temperature but will start drifting as soon as you put it in a noticeably warmer or cooler environment.

So what is a very precise watch at somebody's place will be steadily gaining or losing time at somebody else's.

I can be wrong but I don't think any G-Shock is thermocompensated. Great watches nonetheless!

·
Registered
19,860 Posts
Surrounding temperature can affect your watch's accuracy as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
@maintaining_frame Ironically your most accurate watch in a collection may be the least accurate if worn daily. Quartz watches are generally calibrated on the basis that they will for a good part of the day be at a fairly constant temperature of ~30 degrees when worn on the wrist daily. Also a quartz crystal as they age will have a shift of frequency and so will drift, so it may just be lucky it's drifted to be able to count a second precisely but could drift and become less accurate over time. The often quoted +-15 seconds a month is all down to standard deviation and manufacturing variances, many will leave the factory being very accurate to a second, some less so, just the luck of the draw.

A very good wiki article is here Quartz clock - Wikipedia

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Battery strength will also cause variations. As your battery “ages” you can see your watch start to lose time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
I don't think that battery state affects accuracy. I noticed that only on some analog quartz movements where the watch can even occasionally stop when the battery is nearly discharged. Aging however affects quartz crystal in the watch but it will need a few years to be noticeable.

·
Registered
327 Posts
same or similar here, most of mine move in the +10 seconds per month range

·
Registered
131 Posts
Does anyone know if the DW6600 has a trimmer ? I have two and both are running about +30 per month ( or about +1 second per day ). I realize the 6600 is an old watch, but if I could regulate it to even half of what it’s at now - would be better than nothing.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
DW6600 watchs do have trimmers. When you open them up, look for a screw usually painted white. Normally, clockwise turning will make the watch speed up & counterclockwise, slow it down. However, I have had some that go the other way. Do VERY SMALL adjustments and give it time (24 hours should do it) before you make the next adjustment. I leave the case back off when I do this so I don’t over do the screws and strip them. You don’t have to do this but it sucks if you strip a case back screw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
I’d say a bit of luck but nothing worth taking on a second mortgage to buy lottery for. I have been constantly getting <1 second per month accuracy with all my Casios, past and present. My GW-6900 with atomic turned off is still spot on since last sync about a month ago.

On a side note, my Citizen quartz (only have one now) also gets same accuracy, spot on after 1.5months.

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
No. Usually they less accurate. By considerable margin. Most on mine between Casio promised accuracy to much much worse. Best one so far is GLX5600 said 15-17 sec a month and worse is all blacked DW6900 which is about 60-90 sec a month.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
No. Usually they less accurate. By considerable margin. Most on mine between Casio promised accuracy to much much worse. Best one so far is GLX5600 said 15-17 sec a month and worse is all blacked DW6900 which is about 60-90 sec a month.
Wow! That's bad. I wonder if it's like those people who supposedly kill batteries and other electronics due to something about their body.

So far, mine are much better than the advertised 15 seconds / month. My worst watch is at 11 s/m. Most are running 4 - 5 second / month range, it seems. I've got one that was at zero on day 9. I'm still tracking them.

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
Wow! That's bad. I wonder if it's like those people who supposedly kill batteries and other electronics due to something about their body.

So far, mine are much better than the advertised 15 seconds / month. My worst watch is at 11 s/m. Most are running 4 - 5 second / month range, it seems. I've got one that was at zero on day 9. I'm still tracking them.
I got said watch used and just put new cell. But it's not only one which behaves badly and they sit inside boxes so the only interference they may face is from other Casio watches. It's been like this since day one and i noticed it quite early. If your digital watch is off next day after you set it ... that really bad.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts