WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for a sporty chrono, most likely aviation inspired. Want to keep the cost down, around $500 if possible. Most of the mechanicals in that range seem to use the 7750. They all seem to be pretty thick though, 15+mm, and pretty heavy (I've been looking at the Hamilton aviation line, X-Wind, X-Copter). Since I'll be wearing this on weekends, and I'm pretty active, I would prefer something not as heavy. I also on occasion wear casual button down shirts, so I would prefer something that isn't so thick that would be an issue with the shirt cuff, less than 14mm would probably do. Does anything like this exist, or is this just the reality of chronos?

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
It is the thickness of the movement (just under 8mm) that dictates the thickness of the watch. You need to add the thickness of the Dial, the Hands, the Crystal, and the Airgaps between all those.
In the back, you have the caseback, and the airgap.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Unless you want to go for a quartz, in house higher end, or manual wind chronograph, I don't think any watches with a Valjoux 7750 will be 14mm thick or less sadly.

Off of the top of my head, I would think the Omega Seamaster Chronograph would be one of the thinnest out there for a sports watch.

·
Registered
328 Posts
To OP: Since you are likely looking at a quartz chrono if you want a thinner watch, I think one of the sharpest ones out there that fits your other parameters (11mm thick, sporty, aviation inspired, inexpensive) is the Seiko SNDA65. Ditch the crappy stock strap and put it on a low-lite Zulu and I think you have a real winner. I do not own this watch, but I am this close to pulling the trigger on one.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I end up going the quartz route, I like the Hamilton Khaki ETO on the rubber strap. I would prefer an automatic, but it may not work for me. Not to mention I'll be wearing it primarily on weekends, so quartz will save me from having to reset it all the time. I just really prefer mechanical watches.

Any other ideas/suggestions?

·
Banned
1,112 Posts
Reactions: ancreanchor

·
Registered
142 Posts
You might check out russian chronos using the Poljot 3133. They fall in the 500 price range and since they are manual wind they dont have a rotor to add to the thickness. The 3133 is based off an old Valjoux 7734 so its a quality workhorse movement. Might be a little hard to find someone to service it but it's might give you some thinner options. I know I have one that is like 12mm made by Moscow classic. You can find some russian movements in the Graf Zeppelin and Junkers line availble from Long Island Watch. Watches, Seiko Watches, Android Watches, Zeno Watch, Orient Watches, Junkers Watch, German Watches, Automatic Watch You can get Moscow Classics on Amazon. Amazon.com: moscow classic: Watches#

·
Registered
266 Posts
The Tissot Couturier with the 7750 is 14 mm thick, but its not sporty and is more expensive than you want. I will say don't worry about the weight, after wearing a heavy watch for 5 minutes, you won't notice the weight anymore. That was my experience anyway.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I think that the Swiss Army Alpnach chrono is pretty slim. I once played with one and there was something about it that gave it a slim profile.
To top it off i recently saw one on the sales corner of this forum for around USD500.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So it sounds like there aren't really any that are less than 13+mm. I may have to go quartz. I really wanted an auto, but... I may consider a Hamilton Khaki ETO. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Not sure if you will find one within your budget, but the Valjoux 7760 is slimmer (it is a handwinder, hence no bulky rotor). I have a CWC 1970s remake chrono. I think it is maybe 12mm?

·
Registered
199 Posts
So it sounds like there aren't really any that are less than 13+mm. I may have to go quartz. I really wanted an auto, but... I may consider a Hamilton Khaki ETO. Any thoughts?
Bumping an old thread, and this isn't sporty, but IIRC Tissot's Le Locle chrono is only 13mm thick.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Short answer is yes, but also depends. I have/had a total of 3 different 7750 chronos. Omega semaster chrono 2225.80, sinn 103 in sapphire and sinn 103 in acrylic. The 103 in sapphire was too tall for my liking without a doubt even though it was a beautiful watch. The omega seamaster chrono wasn't much better.

To my surprise the 15.5mm sinn 103 in acrylic felt remarkably slimmer even though its only .5 mm thinner on paper. The steel caseback on the acrylic made the watch felt much closer to your wrist vs sapphire display back, and because the thickness measurement includes the acrylic crystal sticking above the bezel, the case itself is simmer even if the overall thickness isn't, to the point id consider the sinn 103 acrylic average instead of extra thick.

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
Short answer is yes, but also depends. I have/had a total of 3 different 7750 chronos. Omega semaster chrono 2225.80, sinn 103 in sapphire and sinn 103 in acrylic. The 103 in sapphire was too tall for my liking without a doubt even though it was a beautiful watch. The omega seamaster chrono wasn't much better.

To my surprise the 15.5mm sinn 103 in acrylic felt remarkably slimmer even though its only .5 mm thinner on paper. The steel caseback on the acrylic made the watch felt much closer to your wrist vs sapphire display back, and because the thickness measurement includes the acrylic crystal sticking above the bezel, the case itself is simmer even if the overall thickness isn't, to the point id consider the sinn 103 acrylic average instead of extra thick.
The acrylic crystal on the 103 easily protrudes 2mm off the case. It wears like a 13mm piece, which is only a hair taller than most dive watches. In my book, that's wafer thin, for a 7750/SW500-based chrono.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts