WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

· Premium Member
84,036 Posts
I've always said to look at Hamiltons based on other people's perceptions of the watches but I recently received my first Hammy - a Khaki Officer - and it was every bit a good as I expected (it had a lot to live up to).

· Registered
3,330 Posts
Have no issue with Hammie quality, it is the prices that turn me off. In short, I think they are overpriced for what a buyer gets.

To me an Oris, Eterna, Certina, Tissot, Victorinox, Squale, offer similar quality at generally lower prices.
I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of every brand's pricing structure, but most Squale's that I'm familiar with cost significantly more than the bulk of Hamilton's range. And, frankly, with generally poorer fit and finish. I also don't see Victorinox being up with Hamilton.

Oris watches are almost universally more expensive than Hamiltons. There may be some overlap between the highest priced Hamiltons and the lowest priced Orises, but they generally occupy completely different market segments.

And finally, while Swatch seems to place Tissot in the same market segment as Hamilton, I hear far more complaints from Tissot owners about quality issues (though I am a big Tissot fan).

I know a lot of this is subjective, but of that list, Certina seems to be the closest match, and they're typically priced the same as their Hamilton counterparts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

· Registered
113 Posts
I bought a 38mm khaki field and am very impressed with the quality, especially the ss bracelet. They seem to last for half a decade. The only issue that I see come up is if you take them in the water a lot they can be prone to fogging (I don't take mine in water so I don't have this issue)

· Registered
31 Posts
I just got a (lightly) used day date auto and am very happy with it. So far it’s been +4 s/d. Pretty damn good I’d say.

I did have to demagnetize it, but that’s not a flaw of the watch.

Because of the face size it wears smaller than 42mm to me, and I don’t have huge wrists.

Attachments

· Registered
287 Posts
I bought a 38mm Khaki Field Auto, the new lower beat version, about 3 months ago. Watch is much higher quality than I was expecting. I was very impressed. I measured the time around +1.8

Would highly recommend Hamilton.

· Registered
10,161 Posts
Few weeks ago I bought a watch I was looking for for a long time, the Khaki Mechanical green dial:

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory

For the money it's good but side by side with a Longines W.W.W. you can see the quality difference: the lume of the Hammy is very weak, almost non existant on the dial, while the Longines is strong, not Seiko strong but like a Speedmaster. The sapphire crystal has a blueish tint and reflects a lot of light, while the AR coated of the Longines is transparent and hold better reflexes.

Also, out of the box it gained 20 seconds per day, I had to regulate it and right now it's about +5 sec/day, like my Longines, so I would say the latter are better adjusted than Hamiltons.

Having said that the design is amazing and I like that watch very much, I am looking for an original military issue one as well.

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory

· Banned
34 Posts
Hamilton make watches with high quality swiss movements, solid steel cases and sapphire crystals similar to more expensive brands from the Swatch group. They also have some nice designs. You will not be disappointed.

· Registered
3,604 Posts
A long archived series of lectures to the AWCI by the world famous George Daniels has been digitised from VHS. In it he includes this as part of the lecture:

“Daniels reveals that he used hairsprings from Hamilton (the famous American watch manufacture that was based in Lancaster, Pennsylvania). "I tried making my own springs but I wasn't very successful and wasn't getting the correct hysteresis into the metal. Its a very very complex business to make balance springs, so I was very pleased in the end to get some good springs from Hamilton."

Quoted from the recent HODINKEE article just published.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
2,195 Posts
Have any of you had problems with water tight integrity? I've read several negative reviews, mostly on Amazon.com, that their Hamilton is not very water resistant.
A few people got their Hamilton slightly wet, like just washing the dishes, or, they got caught in a light rain shower and moisture penetrated the case.
Should I be extra careful not to get my new Khaki wet?

· Registered
15 Posts
I am in the process of building a mostly Hamilton collection. As far as design, quality and price they are amazing. Personally I prefer the ETA movement pieces but for a daily the new H series movements still aren’t bad (the 80 hour power reserve is great for weekends to allow you to wear other watches and not come back to a dead watch Monday morning if you don’t have a winder)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.