1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Stuhrling, like Invicta and a few others like to price the MSRP ridiculously high and then sell them cheap, so it makes you feel like you're getting a great deal.

Don't fall for that crap.

I never had a Stuhrling but I've heard they're OK for the price.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Some brands use pricing strategies that include listing grossly inflated MSRPS to impart a sense of value when a potential customer sees that he can purchase the watch for 80% off MSRP and so on, and still others use discounting as a way to penetrate new markets. Sturhling Original would most likely fall into the former category. In general though I would say that better prices can be found on the internet as opposed to traditional brick and mortar locations.

I have purchased all of my current watches from the internet and I am quite pleased with both the watches and the sellers. I would recommend however that you research the brand, model, and seller before making a purchase which fortunately for you the forums here are perfect for. This would include looking at wrist shots of a watch model you are interested in purchasing to get a better idea of the true appearance of a watch that way you can better avoid potential disappointment with it's appearance when purchasing from an internet seller.

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Internet shopping is the way to go in most cases. But there are exceptions. This is one of those "Buyer beware" type cases. You'll find Invicta and Stuhrling to be the two most "discounted", most talked about watch brands out there. I would strongly urge you to do a lot more research on Stuhrling before you drop 90 bucks on one. That same 90 bucks could go a long way towards getting you a much nicer, higher quality watch. I hope I said all that without being TOO negative...lol

·
Registered
708 Posts
All of my watches have been purchased online. I mostly use Amazon, not the marketplace sellers. I know that Amazon will only sell genuine items. Even though they are a not an authorized dealer they do give you a fantastic two year warranty.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
881 Posts
...I know that Amazon will only sell genuine items. Even though they are a not an authorized dealer they do give you a fantastic two year warranty....
You do understand "grey" market? To repeat, if not an authorized dealer, the watch manufacturer will NOT give you a warranty. As poster notes, "they", i.e. the non authorized dealer that you're buying from, will generally give you the offer to fix the watch for a certain number of years.

Grey market items do not have a warranty. They're completely authentic, they just don't have a warranty - hence the much lower prices generally.

·
Registered
708 Posts
You do understand "grey" market? To repeat, if not an authorized dealer, the watch manufacturer will NOT give you a warranty. As poster notes, "they", i.e. the non authorized dealer that you're buying from, will generally give you the offer to fix the watch for a certain number of years.

Grey market items do not have a warranty. They're completely authentic, they just don't have a warranty - hence the much lower prices generally.
Amazon is not an authorized dealer this is true. That said they do give you an in house two year warranty. I have found that Amazon will stand behind their warranty. This said it is true that you don't get an official manufacturer warranty that can be longer than Amazons warranty. It is a choice you make to save money.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
881 Posts
... I have found that Amazon will stand behind their warranty. ..... It is a choice you make to save money.
++1. Completely agree. I've only bought one watch from an authorized dealer - and that was over the internet for a really good price.

I've returned defective watches to amazon without problem. (Also get a really good price on return shipping!!)

Has anybody actually returned a watch say a year later and got it fixed or their money back?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Buying a watch on the grey market is a gamble but it is not necessarily an unreasonable wager. Consider the difference between the grey market price and the AD price as a "bet." When you buy from an AD the extra amount or "bet" goes to the manufacturer with the understanding that if anything goes awry (outside of the carefully defined exclusions) they will fix it at no cost to you. Once the warranty period is over your watch achieves the same status as a grey market watch and your "bet" is lost. Even if you need factory service during the warranty period it is unlikely the actual cost to the manufacturer will exceed the amount of extra amount you paid over the grey market price.

When you buy from a reputable grey market dealer what you are betting is that the watch will perform to expectations for the coverage period of the factory-authorized warranty and you get to hold the money. If the watch does need corrective action you spend all or part of the money you saved getting it done. Depending on what is needed you may still keep some of your original saving. If the dealer, like Amazon, has a warranty of its own the odds are further stacked in your favour.

What is the comfort of a factory warranty worth to you? FWIW, I've gone both routes. If I can buy a watch from an AD at a price only a bit higher than the grey market that is the preferred option but if the difference is significant then I'll take my chances on the grey market knowing that I risk paying for additional service if it doesn't meet expectations. YMMV.

·
Registered
559 Posts
There are many sellers on Amazon who are not authorized dealers and Amazon may not be an authorized dealer of all the watches that they sell but it is my understanding that they are Authorized Dealers for brands such as Orient and I believe Seiko and probably others as well. Feel free to correct me if anyone has proof otherwise.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Pretty much everyone in the affordables subform buys online... I found one of those crazy deal sites and bought a Seiko on a whim that was showing about 15% cheaper than on other online sites. This is how I found wus, because I started googling AFTER I bought it. I got a little scared as the site got mixed reviews.

Turns out I got a lemon, watch died after a week. Customer support was pretty unresponsive but after about a month I got it back and fixed...

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've fallen for the inflated retail and part of teh reason why I lost my cool and kept the frentic bidding til I won. Still worked out less than what they normally retail for after the big discount. That's why places like WUS is so good, we live and learn from other people experiences. IN the end, sometimes they work out to be true bargains, sometimes not so much. But as long as you're still comfortable with what you paid for and it works, then shouldn't really complain. My 2c

·
Registered
12,403 Posts
At work bearing company discounts have for years been 80-85% everyone knows that they are daft and take no notice, you pay the bottom line.
No idea why this is done as it rubbish's the product imo, still goes on though.
Sends out alarm bells to me, but that's just me.
Worth searching the forum anyway

·
Registered
6,160 Posts
Several brands, I refer to as "discount brands", rely on the perception of extremely steep discounts off MSRP, as well as regularly discounting the retail sales pricing in order to keep product moving.

It's a gimmick. You're getting what you pay for, nothing more, though sometimes less. You can, on occasion, buy these brands at steep discounts off of normal retail (closeouts, DoD sites etc), and end up with a decent bargain.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts