WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 225 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see it all the time in the forums. "I buy watches for me, I don't care what anyone else thinks." "I don't buy them for the brand recognition, I just appreciate the heritage." "Buy what makes you happy, to hell what everyone says." Like if you admit you care what others think you're betraying either weakness or a lack of authenticity as a WIS.

Now, I'm not denying that people have their own aesthetic preferences or appreciate things like heritage or can admire movement finishing in private while smiling to themselves, but let's be honest here. We are talking in almost all case about JEWELRY that has a certain intellectual appeal because of it's engineering and the expertise that goes into making it clean and intricate and shiny. Social signalling is at least half of the point.

If, say, you're in a corporate environment you're likely either wearing a dress watch or a steel sports watch in part because it confirms a set of expectations of the people around you. If instead you're wearing a Sinn U1 or an orange Monster or something, there's probably still social signalling going on of a different kind. There's lots of subtle signals - conformity (or lack thereof), creativity, status, exclusivity (not quite the same thing as status), practicality, personality... watches as a wearable item are inextricably tied to how we exhibit ourselves to others.

I guess my point is, all of this should be OK. Humans are social animals. If you really, honestly don't care what others think of you, that's likely a sign of sociopathy rather than something to aspire to. And yet, with some rare exceptions people will go to great lengths to avoid admitting that it could be a factor in their watch preferences. Those few people who are open about it, hat tip to you, sir (or madam).

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I don't, really. I did start to care when I wore a watch on each wrist.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
When I hear someone give the advice of screw everyone, do what makes you happy, I ask myself who is this person talking to because often it's not a direct answer to a question. Its almost as if its a personal statement of intent parading as a helpful tip. Speaking to oneself in public.

I'll add, what if you don't know what makes you happy or what you want? Isn't that the point of these forums to ask and gain some insight into differing trains of thought.

·
Premium Member
1,774 Posts
I care that other people think that I am a decent, honest person.

I don't care about what other people think about what I have on my wrist. If it grinds your gears, that's a "you" problem. Similarly, I don't pass judgement on what others wear unless there's some sort of deliberate intent to cause offense.

And "I want this watch to work with my outfit" doesn't necessarily mean that I care about what others think. As my SO eloquently puts it, "I put on makeup for one reason: because I like how I look in makeup".

·
Registered
Lots of Hamiltons, a couple of Seiko's, a Smith Everest and a vintage 69 Speedy Pro
250 Posts
I wear different watches for different occasions and reasons. When I'm on the tools in the shop or in the field at a location where I can still wear my watch I go with a diver, a sport type or a G-shock because sometimes the environment can be extreme and decent water and shock resistance is key but I'm wearing what makes me happy. If I'm at the track I'll either wear my Speedy Pro Moonwatch or my Bulova Moonwatch. It's an environment where you'll see any number of high end chronos so, yeah, I'll give you I'm staking out my watch territory there a bit but hey, those guys in the McClarens and Ferraris will walk all over you if you let them. When it comes to Dress watches, I'll go low to high mid priced because again, it's what makes me happy and what I feel fits the moment.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Social signalling is fine, but I don't think wearing a watch you like to wear HAS to be social signalling. I wear the clothes I'm comfortable in. I wear the watches I like to wear. I don't think that makes me a sociopath. If someone compliments me I'll be happy to thank them, but I'm not wearing certain watches or wearing certain clothes or driving certain vehicles for recognition, nor should I have to justify that fact somehow. Certainly some people are doing those things and maybe they're not being honest about who they're trying to impress or what expectations they're trying to uphold, but I think some of us genuinely aren't really in it for anyone else's approval or expectation.

That said, when the wife wants me to dress nice, I do. But she's the wife, so...

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
I dont really care what others think of my collection. I have a small wrist and wear big watches. I chase esoteric brands which only a few faithful are aware of. I dont own a Rolex and probably wont for a minute.

Yep, I love quartz watches. Seiko Tunas are the best quartz out there, by a mile.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I'm not sure. I don't think I really care about what others think of the watch I'm wearing.

On most days I wear my datejust, but lately I've been wearing my $200 Seagull. Sometimes on Fridays I feel like wearing the Patek, and usually on Tuesdays I wear my speedy. It's all over the place.

If my watches are meant to send a signal of some sort, the only signal I'm sending is a mix signal.

·
Premium Member
IWC Porsche Design Titan, IWC Pilot Spitfire, Sinn EZM 10
5,043 Posts
This is my favorite watch.

Sure, I get likes here and there, but I don’t care if no one likes it. It would be great to find a fellow IWC Porsche Design Titan automatic chronograph nerd, but it doesn’t keep me from wearing it and calling it my favorite.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Yeah, but um, no. I mean there probably are some folks who need or crave brand recognition or image, but there are just as many if not more who really couldn't give a hoot. I have two WIS friends I sometimes chat about watch-related stuff, but 99% of the other people in my life wouldn't know an Omega, Hamilton, Rolex or Poljot if I slapped them in the face with it, and that's fine with me as they'd probably think it weird and a waste of money anyway. I wear my watches for me. My purchase choices, like anybody else's, are shaped by a host of influences and perception, but what other people think is really not one of them.

Reactions: BHP940 and SinCity

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
I am kind of embarrassed that I don’t give a flying F about what anyone thinks of anything. I even hate sports talk radio and tv shows because their options don’t mean squat to me.

I am sure my wife wishes I did.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Social signaling is half the point? Not really. I think a car conveys that much more easily to a layperson than a watch. Only watch people really know the going prices for watches, whereas everyone knows if you're driving an expensive car. Sometimes you just like something because you find it beautiful, it makes you happy when you look at it, and that's it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Social signaling is half the point? Not really. I think a car conveys that much more easily to a layperson than a watch. Only watch people really know the going prices for watches, whereas everyone knows if you're driving an expensive car. Sometimes you just like something because you find it beautiful, it makes you happy when you look at it, and that's it.
I'm not saying it's true in every case. But I think it is true in way more cases than people are willing to admit. And it's not always about communicating social status or wealth. There are thousands of other things you subtly communicate to the world with your clothes, your hair, your accessories, your car, your watch. Those things are a nearly inevitable part of why we make the choices we do in clothing or cars or watches. That doesn't mean you don't also love the watch for plenty of other reasons that have nothing to do with others. I just find it amazing that people so staunchly refuse to admit that they even give the slightest consideration to how the world perceives them when they walk out the front door.

·
Premium Member
1,774 Posts
I'm not saying it's true in every case. But I think it is true in way more cases than people are willing to admit. And it's not always about communicating social status or wealth. There are thousands of other things you subtly communicate to the world with your clothes, your hair, your accessories, your car, your watch. Those things are a nearly inevitable part of why we make the choices we do in clothing or cars or watches. That doesn't mean you don't also love the watch for plenty of other reasons that have nothing to do with others. I just find it amazing that people so staunchly refuse to admit that they even give the slightest consideration to how the world perceives them when they walk out the front door.
Again, you don't have to care about what others think to dress well, be clean shaven, or drive a nice car. Some people simply feel more comfortable with themselves when they appear to be the best version of themselves. That's like saying that all guys go to the gym to impress women - sure, some people might think this way, but many more don't.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Again, you don't have to care about what others think to dress well, be clean shaven, or drive a nice car. Some people simply feel more comfortable with themselves when they appear to be the best version of themselves. That's like saying that all guys go to the gym to impress women - sure, some people might think this way, but many more don't.
But why do you feel more comfortable? Could it possibly be that you're aware, maybe even subconsciously, of the image you convey to the world when you do? How could this possibly be completely independent of an awareness of others' perceptions?

1 - 20 of 225 Posts