WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!
this is my first post and I am new here.I started looking at watches on eBay and specially omegas, and now I have a question, are redials okay if they are done very well and not apparent? Do they diminish the value of the watch?

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
The value for a collector will diminish with a redial but many new to vintage look at a nice shiny dial and pay big money for it. Over time one gets to appreciate patina and even damage as it give a watch that special feel.

And remember if you buy a redial we old guys will point and laugh at you. :)

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Yes it personal and I believe it's OK if a dial is so bad it just can't be worn, the problem is that many redials just aren't like the original so it's almost like buying a fake.

It so bad that there are more vintage black dialed watches being sold now then ever were made...

·
Premium Member
6,609 Posts
Hey guys!
this is my first post and I am new here.I started looking at watches on eBay and specially omegas, and now I have a question, are redials okay if they are done very well and not apparent? Do they diminish the value of the watch?
Generally speaking a redial diminishes the value of the watch. The exception to this would be a situation where the original dial is so badly damaged that it is essentially un-wearable.

The rest of your question is purely a matter of taste.

·
Registered
943 Posts
The vast majority of redials I have seen over the past couple of decades are not OK with me. They range from poor to average. The ones that would pass muster are few and far between. It's a matter of experience - the more you see of original dials the more obvious the bulk of redials are. To someone new to vintage watches a redial can seem OK as they don't have much reference to compare against.

The issue for me is that all too often they simply diminish the look of the watch. The redials don't display the qualities of the original dials and let down the rest of the watch. The printing styles are all too often wrong, too thick, not neat enough, the wrong colours or finishes. This isn't what the dial looked like originally, and it's a poor substitute.

If the majority of redials were in fact well done and appropriate for the watch my opinion would probably be different, but they most definitely aren't. With increasing use of computerised copying and printing we may well get to the point where the majority of redials, or completely new manufactured dials, are of sufficient quality to satisfy but we're not there yet. Even so, for collectors there will always remain the issue of originality that will affect our views in varying ways.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you very much guys. That was very helpful. I do understand that, specially coming from India where they end up doing a sloppy job and lack the attention to detail. That is one reason I am so hard pressed to find a good place to service my watches.
I think I'm going to buy a redial only if I really like the job done but otherwise I'm going to stay away from them, specially those badly painted black coloured redials

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
Depends... If you have a watch with a badly damaged dial, it's OK to redial it, IMO- but only if it's really badly damaged. The collectible value will be down to pretty much a zero, though.

Regarding buying redials- there is only one instance that I know of, where a redial is actually collectible, and that would be the Omega 6B/542 service watch of the RAF, with MoD-commissioned redials in order to have the radium lume replaced with tritium.

Reactions: Shum and DragonDan

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you buy one cheap, why not! You can probably sell it on at a similar price later. But if you pay original dial money for it, of course, that's a bad investment. So if you get it a fair price and plan to wear it and enjoy it for what it is, go for it.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
it depends on if you just want to wear and enjoy it (then by all means proceed), or you are buying it for an investment. As with anything collectible, the closer an item comes to as it was when it left the factory, the better. That's why some people are exuberant with finding a piece with the original box(es) and paperwork

·
Registered
329 Posts
Probably goes without saying but it should be made very clear by the seller. A redial isn't my first choice but if it's necessary I could live with it, as long as it's clear that it's a redial and the price is commensurate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts