WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
10,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Prompted by a thread elsewhere in which some said their rolex sub was a true Tool watch and even a beater - I suspect some are employing both terms for what they mean as their 'daily wearer' - but others may well be using their Rolex as tool and beater.

Rolexes have famously been worn to work in the depths, piloting the skies, up Everest, in combat with Special Forces, exposed to powerful electrical currents - some have been used as true tools. But those days are long gone and those vintage Milsubs or Comex watches or Pan Am GMTs are worth the price of a small house.

And even new models developed from those early tool watches, if they can be found, are now so expensive they are luxury items and I doubt many professional mountaineers, pilots, marines or divers wear Rolexes for work. But perhaps I'm wrong?

Rolex have built an enviable and justifiable reputation as a maker of tool watches, in the past were used as such, they still market them as such, but now does anyone really use or even regard them as such?

I wore my DSSD as a daily wearer for almost a decade - although not as a beater and it was swapped out for cycling or gardening or decorating :) I know, more WUSS than WIS

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
NO!!

·
Registered
1,828 Posts

·
Registered
10,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lock? I thought it a fair question without side or angle - genuinely interested on general views - lock? nah!
Unless some headbanger starts upping the anti.

·
Premium Member
40,906 Posts
Of course they can be used as tool watches. They have been making fantastic tool watches for decades.

However as the price and brand caché started creeping upwards they have become jewellery or safe queens much more than took watches.

They’re entirely capable of both though.

·
Banned
7,741 Posts
Nothing to say (as usual) but wants to say something negative (as usual).

Threads like this often go downhill. It’s usually comments like that which start the decline early.

Actually it’s usually the Rolex fanboys who come into the threads, followed by the Rolex haters, that get these threads locked. I was just pointing out the inevitable

·
Premium Member
40,906 Posts
Actually it’s usually the Rolex fanboys who come into the threads, followed by the Rolex haters, that get these threads locked. I was just pointing out the inevitable
For what purpose?

Negativity breeds negativity. If you wanted the thread to stand a chance then either answer the question or stay out of it.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Prompted by a thread elsewhere in which some said their rolex sub was a true Tool watch and even a beater - I suspect some are employing both terms for what they mean as their 'daily wearer' - but others may well be using their Rolex as tool and beater.

Rolexes have famously been worn to work in the depths, piloting the skies, up Everest, in combat with Special Forces, exposed to powerful electrical currents - some have been used as true tools. But those days are long gone and those vintage Milsubs or Comex watches or Pan Am GMTs are worth the price of a small house.

And even new models developed from those early tool watches, if they can be found, are now so expensive they are luxury items and I doubt many professional mountaineers, pilots, marines or divers wear Rolexes for work. But perhaps I'm wrong?

Rolex have built an enviable and justifiable reputation as a maker of tool watches, in the past were used as such, they still market them as such, but now does anyone really use or even regard them as such?

I wore my DSSD as a daily wearer for almost a decade - although not as a beater and it was swapped out for cycling or gardening or decorating :) I know, more WUSS than WIS

Why did you post this in Public, rather than the dedicated Rolex / Tudor sub-forum?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Answering the OPs question based on my own observations, most people I know who own a Rolex won't wear it to any 'hazardous environments':

I know an accountant who wouldn't even swim with his Submariner. But after he saw me swimming with my Milgauss he started swimming with it. But he sometimes goes hiking and to date, never takes it with him.

Another office person I know who owns a Submariner also doesn't swim with it, doesn't hike with it, doesn't run or jog with it, but otherwise wears it all the time (office job, dinners).

Another office person I know has a few Rolexes and his stainless steel submariner and daytona have plenty of scratches suggesting they are very well worn, in contrast with his yellow gold day-date, which looks pristine and I suspect he must wear sparingly.

My mrs wears her datejust a lot, she's not afraid to get it submerged in water, but she doesn't want to scratch it and takes it off if there's a chance for that (mainly when she's in the kitchen).

My Milgauss has been well used. I've jogged/ran with it (a 5k run), swim with it often and I once even went scuba diving with it, but admittedly to a depth of only 4 metres (it was a training dive and doesn't count as a logged dive).

Over the years I've seen people dive with luxury watches, usually as their back-up to their dive computer, but I think I've seen someone dive with a Rolex Submariner only once. After the dive, I told the fellow that it's nice to see someone use the Submariner for diving.

Reactions: georges zaslavsky

·
Registered
139 Posts
They are tough luxury watches but realistically they are no longer tool watches, as there is no job that they would be the best suited watch for.

·
Registered
8,432 Posts
I have worn my Explorer 2 while hiking in the Himalayas and the Caucus mountains, while cycling around Mt Fuji, while on safari in Africa and elsewhere. Does that qualify?

The watches are rugged, tool watches that can handle whatever you throw at them - whether or not people use them as such doesnt change that fact.

Watch Tree Wrist Fashion accessory Plant Watch Wrist Analog watch Hand Tree Watch Mountain Geology Rock Adventure Watch Analog watch Wrist Fashion accessory Hand Camera Cameras & optics Photograph Electronics Digital camera Black White Black-and-white Monochrome photography Monochrome

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
There are very few exceptions, but no, they are not tool watches or beaters. A few people will post pics of their expensive watches in situations where any watch would be appropriate and fairly safe and claim it's their tool/beater, but these watches are usually still nearly NIB in the pics.

Looking specifically at Rolex, they're like Land Rover - still incredibly capable, but no longer used in the manner which their rep was earned. People will drive them on a gravel or fire road and claim to be off-road, but they're mostly used as basic daily transport/posing.

-- Wayne

1 - 20 of 201 Posts