WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a late 90s non-coaxial seamaster out for service and asked for a quote for replacing the crystal. The watchmaker recommended against it as they can cost up to $400 ... which seems ... a bit high. He is very by the books when it comes to sourcing parts but are legit omega crystals really that expensive?

·
Registered
262 Posts
I’m going to be honest, I wanted to write that it seemed high but the last time I saw a price for a crystal was so many years ago it could very well be around $400. Especially in a market where they charge close to that for a rubber strap, not to mention other parts or leather straps. Think about it for a moment. A small piece of rubber.

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
The parts for most 'luxury' Swiss watches are going to be 'expensive'. Unfortunately, it's part of what we 'sign up for' when we buy these watches.
They probably cost very, very little to make. In actual fact, I did read somewhere on the forum, that Omega has many parts made in China!
Apparently, this is done to increase profits even more. (At this point, some usually 'pipes up' that 'Omega aren't a charity') Really! :roll:
So, yes, parts are generally quite pricey, I suppose the rationale is, 'if you can afford a 'luxury' Swiss watch', you can afford the parts! :-d

·
Registered
186 Posts
I cannot speak authoritatively on the cost of a new Omega crystal,....But the $400.- you mentioned does not seem too far fetched. (Look-up what a full service on an Omega automatic costs,....)

In my experience I would be less concerned about the actual cost and much more concerned about who actually does the crystal replacement itself.

I'm not even sure if factory service is available,......But if factory is available I will gladly bite the bullet and have them do any work on my Omegas. If Omega factory service is not available, I would be certain that it is a seasoned journeyman watchmaker that does any work on it.

Granted my experiences are over a 35 year period. That being said, I have had three or four instances over the years where a so-called "watchmaker" in a jewelry/watch store opened up an automatic of mine and the watch has never worked properly again,.....Moreover, when I have sought another watchmaker's service to "Fix" the first watchmaker's work, the price quoted made the entire proposition untenable. (It's very common for professionals to quote exorbitant prices for work that they would rather not take.)

When a watchmaker asks, I like being able to say the only people who have opened up this watch was the factory. If not, they will always be able to infer that any issue that your watch may have could have been as a result of having an unqualified individual do work for you.

My two centavos,

Now I'm going to begin a quest to see if Omega, Rolex, and Tudor will do factory service.

Regards,

·
Registered
102 Posts
It seems high. Few years ago the anti reflective coating on my Planet Ocean crystal was badly scratched and it annoyed me. I took it to omega store in NY. They exchanged crystal for $219

·
Registered
13 Posts
Had my Seamaster 2254.50 serviced a little over a year ago, crystal replacement quoted by Seattle service center was $178. It's a simple domed crystal with AR on the inside. I've been told though that some crystals, like the box crystals on some Speedmasters, can run upwards of $700.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Omega has many parts made in China!
Apparently, this is done to increase profits even more. (At this point, some usually 'pipes up' that 'Omega aren't a charity') Really! :roll:
So, yes, parts are generally quite pricey, I suppose the rationale is, 'if you can afford a 'luxury' Swiss watch', you can afford the parts! :-d
omega isn't a charity, true.
that's what we sign up for when we buy a swiss luxury watch, also true.
omega has many parts made in China, true, as do others, but how much of the swiss luxury watch we signed up to paying a heavy premium for is being made where?
including bracelets, clasps, and parts needing replacement?

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Would the $400 include fitting etc? That makes more sense if it does. The last crystal I had fitted was about £300 I think and it was on a Tudor. The original price was closer to £1000 as they wanted to service it etc. Going from memory there was an £80 fitting charge for the crystal which would make the actual cost of the crystal around £200 which sounds fair. The watch gets resealed/tested etc. Who is servicing your watch? Sounds like theyve just decided to service it and cant be bothered to order the additional crystal. If it was sent to Omega they should only charge you the basic crystal cost and fit in under the service cost ie £450 for the service, £200 for the crystal. If they try the old classic 2 separate charges trick, challenge them on it. Thats what Rolex/Tudor tried on me. Best of luck

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
omega isn't a charity, true.
that's what we sign up for when we buy a swiss luxury watch, also true.
omega has many parts made in China, true, as do others, but how much of the swiss luxury watch we signed up to paying a heavy premium for is being made where?
including bracelets, clasps, and parts needing replacement?
To qualify as "swiss made" the portion that is made in switzerland is surprisingly low. Around 60% from memory. And im betting they also have workarounds for that bit as well. IE a chinese made bracelet can be classed as Swiss if the screws are inserted in Switzerland and so on. Personally I dont care as long as the quality is there. Best example of that is iPhones. Excluding the fact theyre made with slave labour (allegedly, in case the apple chip in my computer is reporting me while I type), the quality and tolerances are incredible on those things and they last forever. As long as my Swiss watch is supported properly by the brand im fine and so far, Omega have been pretty good. Truth is, manufacturing processes are a very very closely guarded secret so we will never know.

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
To qualify as "swiss made" the portion that is made in switzerland is surprisingly low. Around 60% from memory. And im betting they also have workarounds for that bit as well. IE a chinese made bracelet can be classed as Swiss if the screws are inserted in Switzerland and so on. Personally I dont care as long as the quality is there. Best example of that is iPhones. Excluding the fact theyre made with slave labour (allegedly, in case the apple chip in my computer is reporting me while I type), the quality and tolerances are incredible on those things and they last forever. As long as my Swiss watch is supported properly by the brand im fine and so far, Omega have been pretty good. Truth is, manufacturing processes are a very very closely guarded secret so we will never know.
The thing that slightly get's 'under my skin', with Omega parts being made in China, is, I (we) pay a premium for a Swiss watch.
As you point out, the pay for Chinese workers if extremely low. (not sure if Chinese workers get paid more for producing Omega parts, than those who assemble iPhones) if Omega want to have parts made in China, then reduce the price of the watch, accordingly.
Surely they must be making enough profit (these are expensive watches) to make the entire watch in Switzerland? I'm pretty sure I read somewhere (maybe on the Rolex site) that Rolex are 100% Swiss made? :think:
Omega like to think of themselves as the competition to Rolex, well, make your watches 100% Swiss as Rolex claim to be.
Ooh, I just know this is going to get people all agitated and 'hot under the collar'! :-d

·
Registered
5,489 Posts
I have a late 90s non-coaxial seamaster out for service and asked for a quote for replacing the crystal. The watchmaker recommended against it as they can cost up to $400 ... which seems ... a bit high. He is very by the books when it comes to sourcing parts but are legit omega crystals really that expensive?
I have to say, this is a very odd thing for your watchmaker to say. Yes, sapphire crystals for Omegas can cost up to $400 and even more, but that doesn't mean all of them do.

I'm guessing he doesn't have a parts account with Omega, and likely has to rely on the open market for getting a crystal, because otherwise it would be easy for him to tell you exactly what the crystal costs.

You don't say what specific model you have but 90's era non-co-axial Seamasters, like for example the 25318000, or 22545000, the crystal is around $170 US - I assume you are in the US since you didn't say what dollars you were referring to.

Again if, as I suspect, he has to rely on the open market for getting one he may indeed have to pay $400 for one, but that's not because Omega charges that much...it's a middle man that is making the most on that sort of transaction.

Cheers, Al

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
The thing that slightly get's 'under my skin', with Omega parts being made in China, is, I (we) pay a premium for a Swiss watch.
As you point out, the pay for Chinese workers if extremely low. (not sure if Chinese workers get paid more for producing Omega parts, than those who assemble iPhones) if Omega want to have parts made in China, then reduce the price of the watch, accordingly.
Surely they must be making enough profit (these are expensive watches) to make the entire watch in Switzerland? I'm pretty sure I read somewhere (maybe on the Rolex site) that Rolex are 100% Swiss made? :think:
Omega like to think of themselves as the competition to Rolex, well, make your watches 100% Swiss as Rolex claim to be.
Ooh, I just know this is going to get people all agitated and 'hot under the collar'! :-d
Putting on my corporate omega hat, I would say “the products are competitively priced and for the entire watch to be Swiss made the price would be significantly more. We pass the savings we make by outsourcing certain parts to China onto our customers”. All complete crap of course but I’m sure that’s how they view it.

Don’t worry about making people hot under the collar. It’s the Omega section. If it was the Rolex section there would be 50 pages to this thread by now.

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
Putting on my corporate omega hat, I would say “the products are competitively priced and for the entire watch to be Swiss made the price would be significantly more. We pass the savings we make by outsourcing certain parts to China onto our customers”. All complete crap of course but I’m sure that’s how they view it.

Don’t worry about making people hot under the collar. It’s the Omega section. If it was the Rolex section there would be 50 pages to this thread by now.
In actual fact, Omega's hypothetical (crap) defense (as you put it) of their prices, would have one serious flaw! ;-)
Omega watch prices are now, for all intense and purposes, equal to that of most Rolex models, which are 100% Swiss made.
So, if Rolex can sell their 100% Swiss watches for X amount of money, why can't Omega? :think:

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
closely guarded as they are, something always finds a way to seep out..

https://imgur.com/gallery/3wAoFm3

·
Registered
5,489 Posts
closely guarded as they are, something always finds a way to seep out..

https://imgur.com/gallery/3wAoFm3
Please take this photo with a very large grain of salt. I have ordered thousands upon thousands of Omega parts directly from Omega, and not one has ever had a tag on it like that of any kind, with any country of origin on it. Omega parts simply do not come with tags on them like that.

Not denying at all that Omega has some parts made in China, but in my eyes that photo is highly suspect. The person who has that on their site has been trotting that out for several years, and is known to be quite anti-Swatch group. He has sued other watch companies as well, unsuccessfully. To the best of my knowledge he has never provided details of where this part came from.

Cheers, Al

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Please take this photo with a very large grain of salt. I have ordered thousands upon thousands of Omega parts directly from Omega, and not one has ever had a tag on it like that of any kind, with any country of origin on it. Omega parts simply do not come with tags on them like that.

Not denying at all that Omega has some parts made in China, but in my eyes that photo is highly suspect. The person who has that on their site has been trotting that out for several years, and is known to be quite anti-Swatch group. He has sued other watch companies as well, unsuccessfully. To the best of my knowledge he has never provided details of where this part came from.

Cheers, Al
I do,
but this photo is far from being the only one doing the rounds,
some months ago, a different one was posted by the member who received it, if I remember correctly,
which, together with 'Swiss made' being completely gone from bracelets, straps, buckles and similar components omega views separately from the watch labeled 'Swiss made', I find highly suspicious.

I've also have seen threads on other forums where members report having asked omega for the origin of some of these components, to no avail,
so, even if the photo is incorrect / fake, leaving a blank on such parts where Swiss used to go, and 'in Germany' wouldn't hinder perception of quality, China is the only origin that comes to mind

·
Registered
5,489 Posts
I do,
but this photo is far from being the only one doing the rounds,
some months ago, a different one was posted by the member who received it, if I remember correctly,
which, together with 'Swiss made' being completely gone from bracelets, straps, buckles and similar components omega views separately from the watch labeled 'Swiss made', I find highly suspicious.

I've also have seen threads on other forums where members report having asked omega for the origin of some of these components, to no avail,
so, even if the photo is incorrect / fake, leaving a blank on such parts where Swiss used to go, and 'in Germany' wouldn't hinder perception of quality, China is the only origin that comes to mind
Not sure what your point is here. Omega has parts made in China - that's no secret and as I said I'm not denying it. If you want a better example of how a part from Omega is actually labelled as being made in China, here you go:

This is what parts actually look like when they come from Omega, not with suspect hang tags tied to them with red ribbon. This is a bracelet half link, by the way.

The rules are the rules, and Omega follows them. If you actually understand the history of "Swiss made" you will know that it was Swatch group that pushed for the content to be bumped up to 60% from 50% not that long ago, and even with that they received a lot of push back from other brands who didn't want to do this.

As for people calling Omega to ask about origins, and not be answered seems suspicious, then I suspect every manufacturer of everything on the planet is suspicious. Try calling the manufacturer of your car and asking where the bearings on the water pump are made, and see what they tell you...likely to get lost as they should.

There are going to be fanboys of other brands who say their favourite brand doesn't do this, and they are living in a fantasy land. It is what it is - buy the product or don't...for me as long as the quality is good, and they are meeting the standards, it's not terribly relevant.

Cheers, Al

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Not sure what your point is here. Omega has parts made in China - that's no secret and as I said I'm not denying it. If you want a better example of how a part from Omega is actually labelled as being made in China, here you go:

This is what parts actually look like when they come from Omega, not with suspect hang tags tied to them with red ribbon. This is a bracelet half link, by the way.

The rules are the rules, and Omega follows them. If you actually understand the history of "Swiss made" you will know that it was Swatch group that pushed for the content to be bumped up to 60% from 50% not that long ago, and even with that they received a lot of push back from other brands who didn't want to do this.

As for people calling Omega to ask about origins, and not be answered seems suspicious, then I suspect every manufacturer of everything on the planet is suspicious. Try calling the manufacturer of your car and asking where the bearings on the water pump are made, and see what they tell you...likely to get lost as they should.

There are going to be fanboys of other brands who say their favourite brand doesn't do this, and they are living in a fantasy land. It is what it is - buy the product or don't...for me as long as the quality is good, and they are meeting the standards, it's not terribly relevant.

Cheers, Al
are what omega considers to be stand-alone parts meeting the standards?
particularly, QC standards?
no, I don't think they are, and that is why, on top of the cost increases of the watches, it is relevant.

I've asked them myself, got no response, of course,
and while regarding many parts in cars I wouldn't have to, as they are clearly marked with the origin, omega's parts are not.

this thread's context is actual cost of production 's relation to price, and origin of parts and components are pertinent to that.

yes, I'm am familiar with the 60% rule, and also the elaborations regarding what that means, which is why I see little a company, following lawyers recommendations, can't circumvent while complying.
the premium for Swiss made customers are more than willing to pay comes from decades of meaning something in the real world,
not lawyer talk.
that omega pressed for a 50% compliance and other brands refused is in keeping with my opinion, which is that omega, and the swatch group as a whole, has steadily been placing themselves in a position to work the percentages better than other brands.

it is not that I completely disagree with what you are saying, on some, I am of the same opinion,
but, in context of what the OP was asking, I do disagree,
prices are steadily going up based on a premise (Swiss made), that has come to mean steadily less,
not only regarding actual origin, but also, as I stated above, regarding its perception as a certificate of quality.

·
Registered
5,489 Posts
are what omega considers to be stand-alone parts meeting the standards?
particularly, QC standards?
no, I don't think they are, and that is why, on top of the cost increases of the watches, it is relevant.
No idea what you are talking about. I can assure you I see more Omega parts in a year than you will in a lifetime, and quality issues are no more prevalent than they were a decade ago. All brands have quality issues on occasion.

yes, I'm am familiar with the 60% rule, and also the elaborations regarding what that means, which is why I see little a company, following lawyers recommendations, can't circumvent while complying.
the premium for Swiss made customers are more than willing to pay comes from decades of meaning something in the real world,
not lawyer talk.
Cant make heads or tales what this ramble means...

that omega pressed for a 50% compliance and other brands refused is in keeping with my opinion, which is that omega, and the swatch group as a whole, has steadily been placing themselves in a position to work the percentages better than other brands.
You are confused. Omega pushed to increase the percentage from 50 to 60. They didn’t press for 50% as you are claiming.

In the end, if you are not happy, don’t buy the product. It’s not complicated.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
No idea what you are talking about. I can assure you I see more Omega parts in a year than you will in a lifetime, and quality issues are no more prevalent than they were a decade ago. All brands have quality issues on occasion.

Cant make heads or tales what this ramble means...

You are confused. Omega pushed to increase the percentage from 50 to 60. They didn’t press for 50% as you are claiming.

In the end, if you are not happy, don’t buy the product. It’s not complicated.
I'll try to break my ramble into parts in the hope you'll understand,
1- you are correct, I meant to write that omega pressed for 60% compliance, a mistake that should have been clear since I was picking up after what you wrote, I apologise, I am writing on my phone.
2- percentages aren't self-explanatory, there is a description as to how to comply to them, hence, a legal, not technical requirement,
it's not a melon one can measure the size of the slices.
a company, taking into account recommendations from its legal department, can adapt its means of production to be in legal, though not technical, compliance, which,
3- can easily account for other brands, who haven't adapted as well to 'Swiss Made' production in China, not accepting,
even though, as to technical provenance of production, they may be no less, or even more 'Swiss Made'.
4- it is technical, not legal compliances, that over years of real world testing, have won 'Swiss Made' the premium we are being charged by omega,
hence the importance of a > legally< defined provenance, which,
5- has increasingly become absent of parts omega views as separate from the 'Swiss Made' labeled watch.

which takes me back to my first point,
I have no doubt you see more watches and parts than I ever will, but, as to prevailing increase in QC issues, isn't that mainly handled by the brand, during warranty period?
and would it not greatly help clearing this matter if you simply disclosed the origins of the 'thousands upon thousands' of parts you receive from omega?
I would honestly be thankful that you would, I don't imagine you have a non-disclosure clause in your contract with Omega.
bracelets, buckles, straps, spares parts, any type will do.

this thread is not about how happy or not I may be with the brand, but questioning whether omega is 'Swiss Made' enough to command the corresponding, and increasing, premium,
I find it a legitimate question regardless of what I, or anyone else, decide on buying.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts