WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
I did not give you '>one single< example of >a< quality issue of >a< logo coming off >a< clasp',
I used the plural, as it is not an isolated case but a recurring defect in either manufacturing or design not according to manufacturing capabilities.

I assumed you would remember, as you replied with an interesting post:

I'm not sure what you are trying to do here, but the post you have highlighted shown here (actually a combination of posts by 2 different people) has nothing to do with me.

I made 2 posts in that thread - post #34 where I said this:

"What is the part number on the clasp?"

And post #44:

"Okay I was just checking to see if Omega had made any sort of announcement on the Omega Extranet about this issue, since a few people have had it happen. Sometimes they will send out notices that if you come across some defect you can order a replacement then get reimbursed when you send the old defective part back. But nothing on this buckle unfortunately..."

I said none of what is in the box above.

As to the point that the clasp issue is a known issue, yes I'm aware of that. But that is the only quality issue you have been able to come up with. You say it's irrelevant, but it's not...

·
Registered
5,770 Posts
Not sure what your point is here. Omega has parts made in China - that's no secret and as I said I'm not denying it. If you want a better example of how a part from Omega is actually labelled as being made in China, here you go:

This is what parts actually look like when they come from Omega, not with suspect hang tags tied to them with red ribbon. This is a bracelet half link, by the way.

The rules are the rules, and Omega follows them. If you actually understand the history of "Swiss made" you will know that it was Swatch group that pushed for the content to be bumped up to 60% from 50% not that long ago, and even with that they received a lot of push back from other brands who didn't want to do this.

As for people calling Omega to ask about origins, and not be answered seems suspicious, then I suspect every manufacturer of everything on the planet is suspicious. Try calling the manufacturer of your car and asking where the bearings on the water pump are made, and see what they tell you...likely to get lost as they should.

There are going to be fanboys of other brands who say their favourite brand doesn't do this, and they are living in a fantasy land. It is what it is - buy the product or don't...for me as long as the quality is good, and they are meeting the standards, it's not terribly relevant.

Cheers, Al
Your receipt stated 2013 which is almost 7 years ago. Swatch group has realized the important of branding and they have long shift almost all omega parts sourcing back to switzerland which is one major reason for rising price of omega watches. Most of the made in China parts are for lower tier group like Tissot and certina.

"But we are seeing fewer problems on the supply chain side because Swatch Group produces a lot by itself in Switzerland," he added.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Your receipt stated 2013 which is almost 7 years ago. Swatch group has realized the important of branding and they have long shift almost all omega parts sourcing back to switzerland which is one major reason for rising price of omega watches. Most of the made in China parts are for lower tier group like Tissot and certina.

"But we are seeing fewer problems on the supply chain side because Swatch Group produces a lot by itself in Switzerland," he added.
Just FYI - not my receipt. This is a photo that was originally posted on a forum somewhere (can't recall where).

·
Registered
5,770 Posts
Just FYI - not my receipt. This is a photo that was originally posted on a forum somewhere (can't recall where).
That is not the point. The point is unless some can produced the recent latest co- axial omega watches with parts from made in China. 2013 are the times where omega watches prices are still low. Co-axial 8500 in house movement just started only.

The latest news confirmed swatch group produced plenty of parts in Switzerland as proven their supply chain not affected much by halt in China due to pandemic.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I'm not sure what you are trying to do here, but the post you have highlighted shown here (actually a combination of posts by 2 different people) has nothing to do with me.

View attachment 15325467

I made 2 posts in that thread - post #34 where I said this:

"What is the part number on the clasp?"

And post #44:

"Okay I was just checking to see if Omega had made any sort of announcement on the Omega Extranet about this issue, since a few people have had it happen. Sometimes they will send out notices that if you come across some defect you can order a replacement then get reimbursed when you send the old defective part back. But nothing on this buckle unfortunately..."

I said none of what is in the box above.

As to the point that the clasp issue is a known issue, yes I'm aware of that. But that is the only quality issue you have been able to come up with. You say it's irrelevant, but it's not...
it must be a browser thing, on mine, the discussion goes directly to post #44,
that is the one I was referring to.
did you not notice, or do you not consider an issue the matter on the second link I posted?

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
That is not the point. The point is unless some can produced the recent latest co- axial omega watches with parts from made in China. 2013 are the times where omega watches prices are still low. Co-axial 8500 in house movement just started only.

The latest news confirmed swatch group produced plenty of parts in Switzerland as proven their supply chain not affected much by halt in China due to pandemic.
Yes, I understand this. I'm just trying to clarify that it was not my photo mate.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
it must be a browser thing, on mine, the discussion goes directly to post #44,
that is the one I was referring to.
did you not notice, or do you not consider an issue the matter on the second link I posted?
Why would I comment on it when you have already said this after you pointed to those two threads:

"still, none of the above is to the point:"

You are going to call these things common and Rolex defects isolated (ignoring the fact there are plenty of defects in those as well - dials misprinted off center, spacing issues in Daytona text, I recall a DateJust with a Roman numeral dial that has two 8's on it, etc. that make it through). The Rolex was made in Switzerland, so it's clear the Swiss make mistakes sometimes, as we all do. What does that prove?

The point you keep trying to make is that Omega prices the watches too high considering they are not 100% Swiss made in your eyes. Okay, I get it and always have. As I've said, if you don't feel you are getting your money's worth, don't buy them. I'm not sure what it is you expect me to say here...you just want to keep hammering on about the same things over and over. What is it you hope to accomplish?

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Why would I comment on it when you have already said this after you pointed to those two threads:

"still, none of the above is to the point:"

You are going to call these things common and Rolex defects isolated (ignoring the fact there are plenty of defects in those as well - dials misprinted off center, spacing issues in Daytona text, I recall a DateJust with a Roman numeral dial that has two 8's on it, etc. that make it through). The Rolex was made in Switzerland, so it's clear the Swiss make mistakes sometimes, as we all do. What does that prove?

The point you keep trying to make is that Omega prices the watches too high considering they are not 100% Swiss made in your eyes. Okay, I get it and always have. As I've said, if you don't feel you are getting your money's worth, don't buy them. I'm not sure what it is you expect me to say here...you just want to keep hammering on about the same things over and over. What is it you hope to accomplish?

.. it is to the point you've been making, that provenance has no impact in quality, and that
a part or two every 5 years
is all you find,
not to the thread, which regards the premium asked by omega for parts/ assembled parts/ components based on them being Swiss made, no.

I make a difference between commonly known issues, and isolated ones that vary on an individual watch basis,
not rolex or omega issues,
and the volume of issues with omega is something we disagree 180º on.
as I stated before, the Swiss being perfect was never on the table, no one is,
but it is their watchmaking, not others's, that gained the right to claim the premium we are being charged.

so, what I'm hoping to accomplish here is understanding what your point is, as you go from saying you have no problem with omega manufacturing in China, while, depending on convenience, you also state that
'The point you keep trying to make is that Omega prices the watches too high considering they are not 100% Swiss made in your eyes'.

so, which is it,
does omega have an appreciable amount of production in China while stating all their parts are made in Switzerland,
of which you are well aware,
or is it just 'to my eyes' that they're not '100% swiss made'?

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
largely automated processes and producing /storage in vast numbers would also have that effect,
China didn't close production long enough for the effects to be noticed on the availability of many of its products, watches or other

picking up a comment I made previously,
despite there having been news of omega moving more production in-house,
I have not found any indication that production in China has decreased correspondingly, even some hints to the contrary.
if you happen to remember information in that regard, especially recent, I'd appreciate it, as I'm somewhat at a loss on what to make of this

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
There you go.

I truly do hope you find the answers you are looking for whatever they might actually be...

Cheers, Al
.. I have a high tolerance to gaslighting, really, I do,
but, when conversations are written down, I don't feel it necessary to call upon it

61 - 72 of 72 Posts