WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started to pay attention to mechanical watches, I'm looking for an easy upkeep mechanical watch, thats bulletproof and accurate. I love the way Sinn watches look, the understated appeal grows on me each day, and I love the function over form concept. I've been told that Sinn used to be a good value watch, but now because of this fad with Sinn watches and marketing, they have marked up the prices considerably while the quality hasn't kept up. For those out there more knowledgeable, how does a Sinn watch compare with an Omega, Stowa, or citizen-ecodrive? I love the Sinn 656, but I've heard horror stories over the internet of people having +15 seconds/24 hours with their Sinns. Also, is getting repairs an issue? since I have also heard that Sinn uses some special movement that has to be fixed by Sinn. Thanks!

·
Registered
281 Posts
I don't have any ready answers for you, as it's sort of a subjective question. However, I'll give you my thoughts.b-)

I'm looking at the Sinn U200 (EZM8) as my one, everyday watch. Sinn has a definite following, and most Sinn owners SWEAR by their Sinn(s). A lot of owners have had theirs for a long time, and put their watches through every form of abuse and wear, and yet the watches continue to tick happily away. If you read Timothy Patricks account of his ownership experience, you'll see this.

I've read the accounts of owners having problems from the get go. Rust, springbars, bezels, trouble with the original oil in the UX, etc. So a lot of watches have been sent in for servicing, but from what I've read, Sinn makes good and puts it right. There's maybe some room for improvement in communication during the period between Sinn and the owner.:roll:

Some owners have had zero problems period, so it's sort of hit and miss. If you're asking if they're are too expensive for what you get, well, again that's pretty subjective. I tend to think ANY watch that I can't afford immediately is too expensive!:-d BUT, look at the tech which you get for the price:-!. A lot more than comes with a R***x, which is WAY more expensive!o| Plus I see the tech in Sinn is real, and not a gimmick, it actually works and serves a purpose.

So, there you have it! It really can only just be answered by yourself, and your budget. My advice is do some more research, see if someone carries Sinn in your area so you can handle one and try it on (kick the tires:-d).

Best of luck in your search. Let us know how it goes.:-!

David Bradford

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
When you do your research pay attention to the frequency of repairs (warranty and non-warranty). Also, note whether the repairs can be done in the USA or must be shipped out of the country.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
For those out there more knowledgeable, how does a Sinn watch compare with an Omega, Stowa, or citizen-ecodrive? I love the Sinn 656, but I've heard horror stories over the internet of people having +15 seconds/24 hours with their Sinns. Also, is getting repairs an issue? since I have also heard that Sinn uses some special movement that has to be fixed by Sinn. Thanks!
The Sinn 656 uses a standard ETA 2824-2 movement. It's the most used Swiss automatic movement in the world. You will find it in watch from Longines, Omega, Tag Heuer, Hamilton, Steinhart, Tissot, Stowa, Ball, Alpina, Glycines, etc, etc...

This movement is extremely reliable, easy to repair, to clean and to regulate.

+15 seconds per day is not a "horror story". The average deviation of the ETA 2824-2 movement is +/- 12 seconds per day. +15 seconds is not very good, but not "horrible".

This problem can also be solved very quickly. There is just one screw to adjust. Anyone with a little bit of patience and the right tools can go below +/- 4 seconds (without much experience I managed to get an excellent +1 seconds per day on a Glycine with the same movement).

·
Registered
593 Posts
I chose to go with a diffferent manufacturer, but I really think that the U1 is a great watch. Sinn has some very distinctive modern watch designs and interesting technology. It's not quite as boutique as some other German manufacturers (like Stowa), nor does it have as good of a value proposition as some (Stowa again), but I think the prices are in the mainstream of watchmakers who use the traditional jeweler-based retail distribution channel. One advantage of buying through a jeweler is that they should be able to regulate/service a watch if the timekeeping is sub-par (for a mechanical watch). If you want a watch that is always correct and never needs setting, you should consider different technology (quartz, or maybe spring drive).

·
Registered
280 Posts
I may not agree with overrated, but maybe a tad overpriced(whatever that may mean).
you are not going to get a truly "bulletproof" watch with any mechanical watch. they are all susceptible to shocks/shaking/etc. Sinn uses the same off the shelf mechanical movements as almost everyone else at that price level. That said, Sinn watches generally do have that "tough and reliable" feel to them. That must be by design.
If you don't mind buying used and waiting for a good deal, I think Sinn can still be a good buy.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't have any ready answers for you, as it's sort of a subjective question. However, I'll give you my thoughts.b-)

I'm looking at the Sinn U200 (EZM8) as my one, everyday watch. Sinn has a definite following, and most Sinn owners SWEAR by their Sinn(s). A lot of owners have had theirs for a long time, and put their watches through every form of abuse and wear, and yet the watches continue to tick happily away. If you read Timothy Patricks account of his ownership experience, you'll see this.

I've read the accounts of owners having problems from the get go. Rust, springbars, bezels, trouble with the original oil in the UX, etc. So a lot of watches have been sent in for servicing, but from what I've read, Sinn makes good and puts it right. There's maybe some room for improvement in communication during the period between Sinn and the owner.:roll:

Some owners have had zero problems period, so it's sort of hit and miss. If you're asking if they're are too expensive for what you get, well, again that's pretty subjective. I tend to think ANY watch that I can't afford immediately is too expensive!:-d BUT, look at the tech which you get for the price:-!. A lot more than comes with a R***x, which is WAY more expensive!o| Plus I see the tech in Sinn is real, and not a gimmick, it actually works and serves a purpose.

So, there you have it! It really can only just be answered by yourself, and your budget. My advice is do some more research, see if someone carries Sinn in your area so you can handle one and try it on (kick the tires:-d).

Best of luck in your search. Let us know how it goes.:-!

David Bradford
I can definitely afford the watch. I'm just uncertain whether I'm paying for this marketing concept of Sinn as a rugged, tool, or if the hardwear is actually worth it compared to similar priced watches. I'm definitely a function over form guy, I don't plan on taking it diving for 200 meters under water, but I like that I can if I choose to.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Speaking of the U1, is the Sinn 656 also made with the submarine steel, or is that exclusive to the U series?

·
Registered
11,273 Posts
Speaking of the U1, is the Sinn 656 also made with the submarine steel, or is that exclusive to the U series?
Only the U-series watches are made with submarine steel. The 656 has antimagnetic protection, which would be at odds with the amagnetic qualities of the submarine steel. :)

·
Registered
398 Posts
I think the Sinn brand has found a unique niche in the "toolwatch" category. I also think you can find the best value buying preowned. However, I find their new watch pricing to be a bit aggressive.

Also, IMHO Sinn is on par with Stowa but not on the same level with Omega.

Lastly, as others have said, reliability is sort of a crap shoot. I have owned around seven Sinn's and have had issues with three.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have been looking on a few but frankly their QC seems just not in level with the price they ask. As someone said previously maybe not overrated but imo certenly overpriced.
Depending on what models you are looking at might be worth checking out Guinand now headed by mr Sinn. Or maybe Damasko.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
I think the strength with Sinn is their use of all the famous Sinn tech in the U-series.
Quite unique pieces, no match out there.
Sinn uses ETA Top grade movements.
I think most of the perceived price increase is the fact that both the USD and Swedish Krona dropped severely against the Euro, maybe somebody from Germany can advice us about changes in the Euro pricing?

I do not think Sinn are much worse than other brands in the "breakage" departement.

Even a JLC can go wrong, I can testify to that!

The only thing that bugs me is the cheaply printed dials. I do not know about the rest of you guys, but I think it is a Quality sign to have applied markers, lume areas and such.
Not many watches today in the Sinn price range seems to do a proper dial.

Reactions: Bhanu Chopra

·
Registered
280 Posts
I think most of the perceived price increase is the fact that both the USD and Swedish Krona dropped severely against the Euro, maybe somebody from Germany can advice us about changes in the Euro pricing?
The only thing that bugs me is the cheaply printed dials. I do not know about the rest of you guys, but I think it is a Quality sign to have applied markers, lume areas and such.
Not many watches today in the Sinn price range seems to do a proper dial.
I am pretty sure that prices in EUR have been increasing quite a bit as well in recent years.
I find Sinn Dials quite well made actually. I once had an O&W chrono that looked very similar to Sinn 103 with exact same dial and hands and I was comparing it to the Sinn 103. Sinn had a much better quality dial and hands. More precise and even printing and just generally looked better.

676 Posts
I can definitely afford the watch. I'm just uncertain whether I'm paying for this marketing concept of Sinn as a rugged, tool, or if the hardwear is actually worth it compared to similar priced watches. I'm definitely a function over form guy, I don't plan on taking it diving for 200 meters under water, but I like that I can if I choose to.
really you are paying for the marketing concept of any watch. part of the cost is the name. the name timex adds "x" amount to the price, the name rolex adds "y", sinn will add "z" to the price. their is a fixed cost and their is a prestige/name cost as well.

you are correct they have gone up in price based upon reputation, but so have rolex, panerai, iwc, and many others. toyota, hyundai are two others that i can think of.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Are they overrated...not at all IMHO.

Here are mine and they are worth every penny.

·
Registered
145 Posts
My EZM1 is just incredible when it comes to keeping time. Of course using a Lemania 5100 movement helps.

Given the accuracy as well as how nice it looks, I can say that at least this model is certainly not overrated. It is an amazing watch!

In fact, my EZM1 and D&S are really the only two watches I just can't see myself selling!

·
Registered
492 Posts
I loved the Arktis I had, -2 secs/day with a constant rate and superb lume and readability. Will certainly get another one, although news of the new Stowa FO means it won't be next year like I planned. Overpriced? Nope, just not cheap!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I recently got my 856 and it is an amazing watch. The lume is not so good, but the watch is so high-contrast that I've never had trouble reading it in any condition.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
I owned a U1 and currently own a 356 w/acrylic dial, both have been trouble free. Keep in mind that all Sinns use top grade moements 7750 in the 356, and 2824 in the U1, this is a considerable upgrade over the base or elabore grade most companies use. In fact the Top grade is identical in materials and componenttry to the COSC or chronometer version. So a 356 at approx $1450 for a top grade 7750 pilots chrono is actually a fair price, the movement alone is probably a $200 upgrade over the base 7750.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts