WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As much as I enjoy larger watches, I find smaller ones to be more comfortable, especially when worn all day long. I have about 12 watches, ranging from 33 mm (an old Seiko) to 45 mm (three divers). I like them all but find the large ones (e.g., 42-45 mm) to be uncomfortable after several hours. Admittedly, my wrist is pretty small (6.75") so that's probably a factor, though I'm not a small person at 6'0", 180 pounds.

Was curious if you all felt the same way. I should add that case size is not the only factor -- weight may be even more important.

John

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
I think so...I have a 35mm Movado quartz, that I forget it's own when I wear it.
I have small wrists too and 40mm is perfect. I have a few at 42mm and one 43mm
and that's the limit for me.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Smaller and lighter are better for me. I only have two primary watches these days and one is 33mm and, even though I think the expression is hugely overused, I literally forget that I'm wearing it. My other watch is a 41mm dive watch, which is about as large as my sub 6.25" wrist can bear, but it's all titanium and of monocoque design and practically unnoticeable as well - though, this one I only figuratively forget that I'm wearing it.

·
Registered
21,047 Posts
I think a lot goes into comfort, I couldn't say just size. Yes, smaller watches are easier to forget you have on, but I think that's a factor of their weight and profile more than their size specifically.

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,351 Posts
As much as I enjoy larger watches, I find smaller ones to be more comfortable, especially when worn all day long. I have about 12 watches, ranging from 33 mm (an old Seiko) to 45 mm (three divers). I like them all but find the large ones (e.g., 42-45 mm) to be uncomfortable after several hours. Admittedly, my wrist is pretty small (6.75") so that's probably a factor, though I'm not a small person at 6'0", 180 pounds.

Was curious if you all felt the same way. I should add that case size is not the only factor -- weight may be even more important.

John
I find that larger watches (>42mm) tend to not sit right on my wrist. They fall uncomfortably to one side or the other unless the strap is pulled up snug. Smaller watches allow me to wear the watch a bit loose.

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
Like you, I prefer watches more on the modest size (38-42). Aside from what others have said about weight (which I wholehearted agree with) thickness, lug-to-lug measurement, and the shape of the lug (whether it curves downward or not) almost has a huge impact on how a watch wear and how comfortable it will be.

·
Registered
12,033 Posts
They fall uncomfortably to one side or the other unless the strap is pulled up snug. Smaller watches allow me to wear the watch a bit loose.
This was something else that I meant to mention.
I have watches of a wide range of sizes from 34mm to 42mm.

I also have a wrist that seems impossible to get a good fit on with any bracelet so when on the closest fit on a bracelet, it doesn't matter if it is the 34 or the 42, it always feels like it is too loose and it moving around on my wrist makes it noticeable.
However, a quick fit onto one of my friction-grip deployants where I can get exactly how I want it on my wrist and the watch feels like it is no longer there.

I should add though that I do also have shorter straps made in order to get the clasp to sit in the right place on my wrist too which also makes a proper fit easier.
I think my experience and for me personally, getting the strap and/or bracelet to fit is what makes a watch comfortable or not.

·
Premium Member
71,450 Posts
Hi Monkey, us chaps with skinny wrists do have to put a bit more thought into how the strap/bracelet is sized in order to get the watch to sit right. Once that is done correctly I have found that I can wear a 49mm watch as comfortably as a 38mm one. As you say though weigh is important - I have a steel 47mm piece in my collection that is just too heavy for me to wear but I can wear the 49mm titanium ones with ease. There is one thing though - a large watch has got to be a snug fit as wearing one loose on a small wrist is a big no no

·
Premium Member
36,346 Posts
I have your same wrist size, and I agree that the smaller cases tend to be more comfortable as the day goes on. Especially the heavy divers. Never try to get anything above 42mm if possible or by 5pm it feels like I have lead strap attached to my wrist.....

The only exception for me is my titanium watches, of which I have three that are 44mm or bigger, but their size is offset by the light weight of the material, so it feels like I am wearing something smaller.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I feel wearing a small watch like the seiko snk809 feel like I have nothing on my wrist and feel comfortable all day. I feel like wearing a diver watch for a while and then switching between a smaller watch make it feel uncomfortable, but if I just wear a diver watch and never switch I get use to it and find it on the same comfort level as a smaller watch.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
on my wrist, very comfortable. but for people with bad vision like me, a small watch vs a big clock on my wrist is actually less comfortable.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
I think so, but that doesn't keep me from wearing larger watches. I prefer the weight and thickness which gives the watch character and a substantial feeling to me. While the weight can take some getting used to, I think that after a couple weeks you don't notice the weight anymore if you wear heavy watches regularly. This probably because your muscles get stronger, either that or you just don't notice it as much.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I have a skinny wrist about 6.25in. I have watches from 39 to 44mm. I find no direct correlation between the dial size and comfort. The other parameters that affect comfort more for me is the weight thickness, specific type of strap, and lug configuration. The thickness ranges from 11mm to 16mm. In some models -- I need to go with short straps -- and the type of strap (deployment vs non vs bracelet) does make a difference. I tend not to like deployment straps as much although these straps will last a lot longer. I find trying a watch on for a few minutes not really helpful because it really takes some time to see how it feels and if the strap or bracelet is too big-- well then I have cannot really get a good feel. Sometimes i like the feel of a heavy watch but i can see why some would not. However in general-- do like the lighter ones for routine wear.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have 7 inch wrists and wear almost exclusively 38mm watches. Smaller watches are more comfortable on the wrist and while wearing sleeves.

·
Registered
Rolex GMT Master II, Omega Speedmast 9300, Tag Heuer Link Chrono, Shinola Bronze Monster
169 Posts
I have an 8 inch wrist and I still prefer a smaller watch. The 36-40mm models just seem more appropriately sized to me. I do have a few larger watches (G-Shock and Diver) but they don't get nearly the wrist time. The watch I wear most is a military Hamilton that is only 36mm, has no day or date. Just simple, reliable and comfortable.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I think comfort is a factor of case and strap-bracelet design. While I guess weight can be a factor, my heaviest watch is quite comfortable and does not bother me at all. Its just a watch, not like you were carrying 20lbs of weight on your arm all day.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts