WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A controversial question perhaps? I'm longing for a speedmaster but seem to notice that many people have them. IMO they probably feature most in the WRUW threads. Don't get me wrong, I love the speedmaster and am planning on picking one up soon - but perhaps are they a WIS cliche?

Thoughts appreciated

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
A controversial question perhaps? I'm longing for a speedmaster but seem to notice that many people have them. IMO they probably feature most in the WRUW threads. Don't get me wrong, I love the speedmaster and am planning on picking one up soon - but perhaps are they a WIS cliche?

Thoughts appreciated
I love you man!!!
Many around here like to say that everybody and his brother has a Rolex or a Sub.....But along comes a poster who has seen the obvious!!
I have been waiting for you ! You see, I couldn't say it because I own a Rolex....NOOOO..I had to wait for someone "neutral" to point this
out. Thanks, man...You are so right !! All the "Space Cadets"....And there are hundreds of thousands, are out there right this minute
wearing and pretending to be astronuts. It is C-L-I-C-H-E in bold letters! Again, thanks. IMHO

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Hello, A bold, but interesting question. I think it may be. While certainly a watch with a great amount of provenance, it probably is approaching archaic status. The movement is not accurate nor stable right out of the box and as new owners seem to confirm, it suffers from a lot of idiosyncracies. Omega has a lot of better things to concern itself with. I wonder if a brand new Speedmaster Professional would pass NASA's old tests. heb

·
Registered
6,160 Posts
I don't see many in the wild, but see tons of subs/sub-alikes.

They may seem cliched on WUS, to some, because so many people recommend them, but IRL, it's not the case.

Pick up a panda dial, and you won't likely encounter another one in your travels.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
I love you man!!!
Many around here like to say that everybody and his brother has a Rolex or a Sub.....But along comes a poster who has seen the obvious!!
I have been waiting for you ! You see, I couldn't say it because I own a Rolex....NOOOO..I had to wait for someone "neutral" to point this
out. Thanks, man...You are so right !! All the "Space Cadets"....And there are hundreds of thousands, are out there right this minute
wearing and pretending to be astronuts. It is C-L-I-C-H-E in bold letters! Again, thanks. IMHO
If you think hundreds of thousands of people who wear a speedmaster are pretending to be astronauts, you may be a little unstable...

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Yup. Iconic, cliche, and the most recommended watch on WUS. A great watch for sure but I will never own one. It is the number one watch I've spotted in the wild. Even some Tachy-haters become conflicted...,"No...I can't NOT recommend ths Speedmaster...can I?" The greenest WIS' know they can recommend a Speedmaster and appear "in-the-know." Yup, the Speedmaster has earned its place in horological history...and all that has come with it.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
I personally dislike the Speedmaster, too much going on... I like a simpler watch.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
If you think hundreds of thousands of people who wear a speedmaster are pretending to be astronauts, you may be a little unstable...
I did not write astronauts...I clearly wrote Astronuts......And don't forget Space Cadets.

Reactions: lmcgbaj

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
I did not write astronauts...I clearly wrote Astronuts......And don't forget Space Cadets.
tomato tomahto, huge generalization and assumption about people you know nothing about... seems like a real waste of time.

I don't assume why people buy watches en masse, what good would it do, it amounts to slandering the brand and insulting
hundreds of thousands of people outright... as if they all buy the watch for the same reason... how productive!

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
tomato tomahto, huge generalization and assumption about people you know nothing about... seems like a real waste of time.

I don't assume why people buy watches en masse, what good would it do, it amounts to slandering the brand and insulting
hundreds of thousands of people outright... as if they all buy the watch for the same reason... how productive!
Yeah it's only fair to slander Rolex owners that way.
To the OP, if you'd like a Speedmaster, buy one.
This forum is honestly not representative of real life.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
This forum is honestly not representative of real life.
Fiddlesticks...everyone in the world signs their correspondence with a list of the watches they own.

Did I just say fiddlesticks?!?!?!

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Fiddlesticks...everyone in the world signs their correspondence with a list of the watches they own.

Did I just say fiddlesticks?!?!?!
No? You typed it though, but there might be a loophole in there somewhere...

·
Registered
23,771 Posts

·
Registered
20,990 Posts
No.

And other than mine and one other I saw being purchased (still in the store), I've never seen one in the wild.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
I love you man!!!

clearly the OP is not so 'neutral' as to express a desire to obtain one soon regardless - i have an 861 but have never ever wished to go to the moon also i have a rolex but have never wished to denegrate those that dont

·
Registered
2,271 Posts

Thoughts appreciated
I think Seamasters are far more seen than Speedmasters.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts