WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm basically a newbie in the world of watches. I just started to take interest in it. I came across automatic movements and I was intrigued by the whole idea. I know I should have done some research, but I bought a Steinhausen watch before researching. The stupid me decided to research AFTER I bought the watch only to see negative reviews.

I was wondering if Steinhausen watches are really that bad. I wanted to buy something inexpensive and see if I would really enjoy having an automatic movement watch. I paid $73 with all taxes and shipping included. Did I get ripped off? I feel like I made the worst mistake ever by purchasing this watch. The model which I purchased was the Steinhausen TW8372C. Below is the picture of the watch.

Steinhausen.jpg

I'm planning to sell this watch off or return it and buy a different watch. What would be a solid choice for right around the same price. I really don't want to pass $100 as I don't know if I'll like an automatic movement watch. This is I guess testing the waters. Thanks!!

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
It's a Chinese watch (not the quality ones like Sea-gull) with a German name. I don't think you got ripped off, you got what you pay for in a <$100 watch. But I'd pay more for a quality watch from Seiko or Sea-gull or entry level Swiss.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
In my personal opinion... yes. That bad. You should be looking at the Seiko 5 collection....

Edit: or Android, or many others that use decent cheap chinese movements.

In fact just go to forum sponsor longislandwatch.com and browse around there... lots to see in your price range.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmmm.. well I wasn't looking for a quality watch. I understand that in the world of watches, $100 is dirt cheap lol. I just wanted something that kept a decent time for the value. I'm not and wasn't expecting this watch to be something like a Rolex.

What is it about Seiko and Steinhausen that separates it so much apart? Also, what manufacturers are good? Where should I be looking. I see so many manufacturers out there and I think I remember someone posting that 99% of the manufacturers out there are junk.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Did I get ripped off? I feel like I made the worst mistake ever by purchasing this watch.
Maybe it wasn't the best possible choice in watches - Seiko 5s are a popular mechanical choice in the price range. You must, however, keep watches in perspective. You *hardly* made the worst mistake ever. A really bad mistake would usually involve drunk driving, embezzlement or a poorly selected spouse. Maybe a combination of all three...

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
hmmm.. well I wasn't looking for a quality watch. I understand that in the world of watches, $100 is dirt cheap lol. I just wanted something that kept a decent time for the value. I'm not and wasn't expecting this watch to be something like a Rolex.

What is it about Seiko and Steinhausen that separates it so much apart? Also, what manufacturers are good? Where should I be looking. I see so many manufacturers out there and I think I remember someone posting that 99% of the manufacturers out there are junk.
Well, let's see if I can break this down succinctly as possible.

Fundamentally a "good" watch is one that keeps good time, and you like the look of. There's no set price range for finding a watch fitting that description... in fact it's quite easy to walk into Macy's and pick up a "good" watch for 30 bucks.

The difference between the Steinhausen and the Seiko in this case is the Seiko is built by a company who has mastered the art of building watches... a Seiko is a reliable, sturdy, well manufactured watch that will last for a good long time, and you can actually repair and maintain. The Steinhausen is likely to stop working at some point in the near future, if it works correctly in the first place. Also if you were to put the two watches side by side you'd likely see the difference in quality very quickly... the workmanship on the metal, the clean fit of the components to one another... etc etc.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
So basically Seiko 5's the top dog for under $100?
If the answer was that simple you wouldn't have an entire forum with thousands of members and tens of thousands of posts discussing that very question:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe I will just sell it off then. I did look into the Seiko 5 watches, but I didn't like the styling (No offense to anyone). However, I guess I can't get picky at all for the amount that I'm willing to pay right now.

Are there any other watches that I should be looking at?

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Maybe I will just sell it off then. I did look into the Seiko 5 watches, but I didn't like the styling (No offense to anyone). However, I guess I can't get picky at all for the amount that I'm willing to pay right now.

Are there any other watches that I should be looking at?
You should check out the affordables forum. Maybe look through one of the WRUW threads where you can see all the affordable watches folks are wearing. If you go up just slightly to $150 or so a whole world of options opens up. Check out Orient watch (you can get 30% off everything they have listed)...

·
Registered
721 Posts
$65 got me a better watch than yours. this Seiko 5 Military is prettier, better made, will last longer, and has pedigree and tradition that your watch will never have. The Seiko 5 is iconic.

But this is not limited to Seiko only. For $75 I got a Vostok Amphibia with water resistance that surpasses 200 meters, a time tested and roughed automatic movement, classic looks, and a pedigree and history that far surpasses that of your watch. So you see, no need to spend more than $100 to get a great watch.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Look at the Japanese market Seiko 5 models. They are much prettier than the Seiko 5 that are made for the US market. Basically, when it comes to Seiko, you have to buy the Japanese market Seiko watches for better quality and superior looks. For some reason, Seiko only sells their junk in the US, and reserves the attractive models for the foreign market.

Go ask in the Seiko forum for guidance and they will help you out. Do you like military watches? If yes, I suggest you strongly consider the Seiko 5 military.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't know if my eyes are deceiving me, but those watches looks nice LOL. Damn... making me jealous and VERY VERY regretful

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
If you go up just slightly to $150 or so a whole world of options opens up.
Brother Doboji speaks the truth. Watches, like many products, follow the law of diminishing returns. The more you pay, the more you get but the rate of "betterness" reduces the higher you go in price. In your case though, $100 is at the really steep end of the curve and you see noticeable improvements as you spend more money.

Unfortunately, the number of quality mechanicals at that price range is a bit limited because most folks spending in that range are satisfied with commodity quartz watches. In addition to the Seiko, the Orient and Vostoks are also really great suggestions.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Seiko only sells their junk in the US, and reserves the attractive models for the foreign market.
The United States is the foreign market, isn't it?

I'm sure that Seiko also sells ugly watches in Japan too - WISs in the United States just don't go to the trouble of importing them and then showing them off on WUS.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Don't beat yourself up or make it a big deal out of it. You saw a watch you liked, bought it and it was under $100. I wasted way more money screwing around before actually doing my homework, you are ten steps ahead. Don't let that watch leave a sour taste about automatics though. It probably wont keep good time, horrible power reserve meaning it will be stopped when you wake up in the morning, and may break on you soon. As mentioned above, check out Seiko, also look into Orient and Seagull. There are many entry level affordables out there that will perform like much more expensive watches, and last you a long time. I own watches worth four figures and just purchased an Orient, so that tells you something. Orient is owned by Seiko and has the same quality behind it. They have more attractive styles to me, so I highly recommend you check them out, you may feel the same. Give your new watch a chance though, you may be pleasantly surprised. I started out with some cheap skeleton watch before I knew anything about automatics, and just watching how the movement operated really got me hooked.
Welcome, and good luck to you. Update use and provide wrist shots when you get your new watch!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts