WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks (and Jörg, if you want to comment).

Over on f71, there is an interesting thing, a Rodina homage watch with a caseback that says "Stowa" & "Made in Germany". (thread: https://www.watchuseek.com/f71/rodina-homage-based-current-version-1930s-stowa-2402714.html )

Some posters have started to imply that the caseback could be a legit Stowa part(?) put on a Rodina by accident(?), which then implies that Stowa case parts are made in China(?). Is that possible (Fricker doing some import stuff, or something like that), or is that total nonsense?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just read that entire thread, and was hoping it would get mentioned here. I'm more inclined to think that someone at Rodina deliberately copied the look of the Antea KS, including the wording on the caseback. Whether that was done intentionally to try to deceive buyers (counterfeit), or done through ignorance in an attempt to make a more authentic homage (oxymoron), seems to be the main issue here. I'm hoping Jörg can offer some insight.

·
Moderator Emeritus
55,429 Posts
I can't remember a 41mm Stowa case with the engraving "waterproof", can't even remember any other case with "waterproof" engravings. Most of the time 5 Atm is engraved, no "waterproof" added. "Stowa since 1927" puzzles me too. On some Stowa backs (Flieger for example) it is written slightly different "Stowa. Since 1927" (pay attention to the dot).

Other Rodania sell with Antea KS 41 engraved on the back which do not exist on any Antea KS 41.

I am sure Jörg will chime in.

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Hi folks (and Jörg, if you want to comment).

Over on f71, there is an interesting thing, a Rodina homage watch with a caseback that says "Stowa" & "Made in Germany". (thread: https://www.watchuseek.com/f71/rodina-homage-based-current-version-1930s-stowa-2402714.html )

Some posters have started to imply that the caseback could be a legit Stowa part(?) put on a Rodina by accident(?), which then implies that Stowa case parts are made in China(?). Is that possible (Fricker doing some import stuff, or something like that), or is that total nonsense?
On the Stowa website there is a FAQ section that clearly states the percentage of European sourced parts. Considering the Swiss movement, Swiss hands, Swiss lume, German dial, and German strap, that leaves the case. Draw your own conclusions, but Fricker and controversy about Asian ties isn't new. With this particular case concerning the Rodina, sounds to me like someone was trying to steal some credibility by offering something with ties to Stowa. Pretty lame and sad really.

·
Vendor
937 Posts
Hello everybody,

today i got this information about this watch already by email as well and now we are searching whats happen.

One possible thing is that somebody who bought a STOWA put in a chinese skeletton movement -. there are some movements around.

But i have to check.

If it is a total copy there are always to always two sides:

>> Good is that the people thing they can copy and make some money ;) - like with the big brands.
This is a compliment because it seems that the brand is popular. ;)
(but i guess this will be not working like Rolex, STOWA is not so popular that you can make money with copys ;))

>> The second point is of course that we have to take care about copys. If not the market can get nervous and the people are not sure if they buy a Original or Copy.

But i am relaxed - the same happens years ago with a Schauer Chronograph.

Some chinese companys sometimes try to do a copy and check if the market will buy it.

As long as there is a other brandname on the dial it happens and it is very difficult to stop (you already know that the big brands couldn´t stop at all, and they have much more possibilities)

But of course the caseback we have to check, because there is already the STOWA engraving.

Tomorrow i will check my drawings and typographie and see if it is a copy or somebody who "pimps" his stowa with an chinese movement and dial - this makes no sence but today everything is possible. ;)

Bye for now

Many thanks

Jörg Schauer

·
Vendor
937 Posts
Hallo,

habe noch ein wenig recherchiert gerade.

Rodina Watch Bauhaus Watch automatic Small Second Hand Date R005 R005GB ST17 ST1731 SEAGULL WATCH

Die haben es wohl auf das bauhausdesign abgesehen - andere Mitbewerber wurden auch schon kopiert und aufgrund der vielen Bilder im Netz ist die Uhr wohl ein "Dauerbrenner".

Ich würde es mal so sagen:

Vorbehaltlich, das kein STOWA Schriftzug verwendet wird wird es wohl so sein wie in "Real":

Die Nomoscopy wird sicher mehr Absatz finden als die STOWA Antea Copy ;)

Preislich dürfte da wohl anders wie bei den Originalen kein Unterschied sein ;)

Gruss Jörg Schauer

Natürlich prüfen wir das alles und versuchen mehr Infos zu bekommen. Analog watch Clock Watch Font Brand Watch Analog watch Brand Fashion accessory Material property Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

·
Registered
12 Posts
>> Good is that the people thing they can copy and make some money ;) - like with the big brands.
This is a compliment because it seems that the brand is popular. ;)
(but i guess this will be not working like Rolex, STOWA is not so popular that you can make money with copys ;))
"Their 2013 paper, Swiss Watch Cycles: Evidence of Corruption during Leadership Transition in China, found that imports of Swiss watches into China tripled during each five yearly national political leadership transition, something that did not happen in other countries like Singapore or the United States. The authors attributed that to watches being small but valuable, as well as being easily sold for cash. In fact, they noted that the wide availability of counterfeit watches made the real thing even more desirable, because a real watch and its equivalent counterfeit could be gifted together, with the replica used as proof of innocence during an investigation"

That quoted from Watches By SJX: Explaining China's Importance to the Luxury Watch Industry

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
So, are the case and caseback of Stowa made in Germany? Or are they outsourced?

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Sometimes silence is an answer..

·
Vendor
937 Posts
Hello,

already around 10 years around i told a journalist from the Magazine Armbanduhren that we buy 80% in Europe and some parts in the rest of the world.
(its funny - exactly this journalist was visiting me last week because they want to make a report about my 25th anniversary of Schauer watches ;))

Today the german and europe parts are growing to more than 80% - because we always want to buy the BEST Quality for our customers.

BUT: If there are parts from outside germany which are better quality than the BEST i can buy in Germany , i will buy outside of germany (like all other companies, not only in the watch business, also do)

And for me it is a part of the "true"in our slogan that - 10 years ago - i was the only watch producer who opened this fact to the his clients ;)

Today we can go deeper in the story and - like i also told here in this forum several times - if ALL companies in the market - or we can reduce this to: ALL near competitors open there supplier chain - i have no problem to tell the public mine. ;)

But please respect that long term suppliers and suppliers chains are a part of the success - and this is a milestone nobody will tell to the public.

Not, if all others are quite and absolutely not willing to open this to the public.

And one of the most important reasons is - and i believe this deep inside:

I want to built the best i can do for my customers and i choose the supplier who can follow this idea best.

For me it does´t matter where i buy components, what i want is the best i can buy for STOWA.
(i am happy that this most happen in germany , swiss, france or belgium etc.)

We are happy that we have a few suppliers who are realy good and thats the reason that we only buy less than 20% outside germany.

I know that this answer is not enough for the one or the other - But honest speaking: I don´t care, because please think about what you are already reading and knowing about STOWA watches and there origin.

Please think about what are the worldwide competitors are willed to tell you if you ask them directly the sam questions like me?

And please ask smaller, bigger or some of the biggest companies and please bring the answers here to the public.

I am realy interested about the answers.

Sorry for my strong answer, but i think we are all open mind and if you ask STOWA and if you want to force STOWA - please also think about all the others.

Anyway- in my answer you can read the reality with and at STOWA - thats what i can and willed to say. :)

Best regards

Jörg Schauer

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Not necessarily. What company in their right mind would divulge where they source all their parts.
I am actually completely un invested here. To me, I could care less where the pieces come from, and I know Stowa makes a great product. Some people seem to care, and the question was posed, not by me. Years ago I thought geographic origin meant something, and I spent alot of money pursuing products from certain "locations," but now I put my money into micros.

So, who cares if the case and caseback are made in Asia? Not me.

Reactions: Up-n-coming

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Not necessarily. It might well be that Jörg is totally wrapped up in other business, for example preparing the NYC show or investigating the Rodina thing ??
Agreed. See post above. No horse in the race here. Just an interested bystander...

·
Registered
266 Posts
Look guys, here are fake Stowas on a l i express (sorry, didn't know it is banned to mention that site here):
http://www..........s.com/popular/stowa-watch.html (ali express without space is insted of al the dots - this is here for research purpose only, not to promote fake watches!)

Or maybe this link will work:
http://bit.ly/1LmVTSZ

A quick look at the back case, it seems that it is the same that on the Rodina watch: no "." between "Stowa" and "Since" as Mike noticed on the Rodina. Movement also looks the same... So I think it is safe to assume that the company that makes Rodina watches is also making this fake Stowas...

Now, as Joerg already said, it was already mentioned here years ago that some parts in Stowas are from Asia. But I'm sure the cases are in fact German and I hope Joerg clarifies that.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Why does Jorg owe anyone an answer on where his cases are made? The Rodina caseback has been verified as fake and not an oem Stowa case back that fell off the truck in Asia. What's the difference if Stowa cases are made in Asia or Germany? I don't get all this detective work? Fricker or Ickler (not sure which) has a plant both in Asia and in Germany. Swatch group has holdings in manufacturing plants in Asia also. Go ask Omega where their cases are made or which brands Fricker or Ickler sell their Asian manufactured cases to. You won't get the time of day from either of them.

Sorry if my post comes off as harsh. I just don't get why Jorg is being scrutinized for Stowa replicas being produced in China.

What everyone should be up in arms about is that Stowa designs and now even the Stowa name are being ripped off without Jorg receiving a cent in royalties for the Stowa brand name and designs he paid good money for back in the nineties.

Stowa freely admits that 80% of his watches value comes from Europe. So if you read between the lines the other 20% probably come from Asia to reduce costs. So what!

·
Registered
336 Posts
I love how Jorg in English sounds like Johan Cruijff in Dutch: Somewhat vague and cryptic but it does make sense.

What i cannot stress enough is how i appreciate Jorg joining in on the matter. Sure folks will say he had to because of this Rodania monkey business. Then again he has joined in a lot of discussions both in favour and against his decisions/plans/models.

gr, HJR

·
Vendor
937 Posts
Hello,

now i could find the time to check some details of the fake.

Now i can say that this is not a "pimped or tuned" Original STOWA Antea KS 41 - i thought maybe somebody bought the Original watch and put in a other dial and movement.

But some of the casedetails (quality and engraving) are not bad made, but never this is or was a Original STOWA watch.

So i have to check if we can make something against the producer because they are using our Companys name and modellname.

But i think this will be a big fight from a small company like STOWA is against a big company (Seagull is a very big chinese company)

Lets see whats happen ;)

Best regards

Jörg Schauer

Attachments

1 - 20 of 152 Posts