WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
81 - 100 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
If you don't like it, move on. There are plenty of other watch brands.

Personally, my MO remains one of my favorites after 2 years in my collection.

·
Moderator Emeritus
55,395 Posts
A
Well, there are so many replica Chinese watches that are built to very high standards. Would I buy a fake Rolex? Noooo! Would I be happy if Rolex uses Chinese parts in its watches that are almost indistinguishable from the Swiss made ones? Noooo again! The problem is of identity and integrity. I look at my watch and at my iPhone differently. The IPhone states that is designed in California, it is nowhere advertised that it is MADE in the USA, while Stowa is advertised as a German brand with an advertised in-house watch production.
You need to visit the Stowa premises, you seem to know little if not nothing about their in-house watch production.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Not a question of liking it or not, it's a question of a simple question asked and not simply answered.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Jorge's reasoning, therefore answer, is simple for him. If that happens to be complicated for you (and obviously it is), so be it.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Mike, I like my Marine Original very much, the only thing that could make it better for me is a true vitreous enamel dial. I also like Stowa as a brand and I'd like to see it pushed into a higher tier direction.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
his answer wasn't "complicated", it's evasive.

god forbid people express an opinion on a message board without it offending someone's sensibilities....
Evasive? I heard the owner of the company clearly give an answer. It may not be a straightforward answer some are looking for, but then again, he gave a reason behind that answer as well. It's not a yes/no answer and since that is all some are going to accept, and you're not going to get it, know that and move on.

·
Registered
426 Posts
If the case IS made in China (Or Africa for that matter) I say thank you for excellent quality control. My TO1 has been holding up like a champ, gets banged against walls and car parts while wrenching and small scratches just sort of disappear over time. No serious dings or anything else, and I am not gentle with it.

If the QA is good, which with from the metal itself, I don't care if a chinaman is operating the German CNC machine. Have you guys seen the parts houses and manufacturing plants over there? Heck, they are bigger and run newer machines than pretty much anyone in the USA or Germany.

If outsourcing a part as mundane as a case keeps a brand alive and people with a job - I'm all for it! Those dudes build Ti implants that go into your body, parts for the jets that fly you, I think they will get a case done. And since people still whine about things they just do not understand, I would never disclose information that could be put up on a wall by haters and idiots.

The finished product speaks for itself, I love my watch and still look at it daily with affection for the excellent engineering, fit and finish and over all - style. (And of course for what it means to me personally)

Some people might find "chinaman" racist.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Im chinaman btw. U probably doesnt mean it.

Anyhow, Comparing Rolex with stowa is meh.

Also, its a blessing that Jorg is being engaging as always. If he share 80% is euro parts, then so be it.

So, is Nomos case from Asia? How bout Archimede? How about Panerai? Bell & Ross?

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
It doesn't matter whose cases are made where, that's the old "if everyone else was jumping off a cliff" mentality. What matters is a simple question got an evasive answer, as if there was something to hide.

I don't know George, I like his products, as I said I plan on purchasing one. But it seems to me that he could have just answered the question in a clear, concise manner and put this to rest.

I am surprised this thread hasn't been closed yet or even deleted....

So, is Nomos case from Asia? How bout Archimede? How about Panerai? Bell & Ross?

·
Registered
426 Posts
A question was asked. An answer given. If you don't like the answer don't buy the watch. If you don't like the watch don't buy it.
If you want something with a little less Asian parts buy a Lange. I wonder how much of a Glashutte Original watch is Asian since there were reports of Omega parts being made in China.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Im chinaman btw. U probably doesnt mean it.

Anyhow, Comparing Rolex with stowa is meh.

Also, its a blessing that Jorg is being engaging as always. If he share 80% is euro parts, then so be it.

I actually went and looked up the term. I am sorry if I offended you. I did mean it like "Englishmen" has always been used: A gentleman from England. I didn't know that these days, this term is rather negative.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Last time, it doesn't matter for STOWA or anyone else. What matters is a question asked and not clearly answered. If you don't see that, then OK.

I think the answer was clear enough: We will not deny nor confirm this AKA we will not comment on this subject. (We = Stowa / Jorg)

How is that not an answer?

·
Registered
403 Posts
I think the answer was clear enough: We will not deny nor confirm this AKA we will not comment on this subject. (We = Stowa / Jorg)

How is that not an answer?
Definitely clear enough for people that are Stowa fans. If you actually own a Stowa you will be a fan. Quality is excellent for the price. If that isn't enough for some people and they insist on questioning Stowa quality or Jorg's integrity/transparency then Stowa's product probably isn't for them. If that's the case, move on. Questioning the origin of Stowa's cases is like beating a dead horse at this point. Nothing will come of it.

BTW, Nomos cases are sourced from Switzerland. How dare them, they should be made in Germany like the rest of the parts! :)

·
Registered
435 Posts
Ickler case - The high-quality case is manufactured by ICKLER in Pforzheim.- That is from the Archimede site. Damasko make all their cases, crowns and bracelets inhouse from their own steel and their watches are in a comparable price range as Stowa. Go figure. I am not a racist, I just think that "made in China" is not a respected sign when it comes to watchmaking. That is why it is spared, which I find somewhat dishonest.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Ickler case - The high-quality case is manufactured by ICKLER in Pforzheim.- That is from the Archimede site. Damasko make all their cases, crowns and bracelets inhouse from their own steel and their watches are in a comparable price range as Stowa. Go figure. I am not a racist, I just think that "made in China" is not a respected sign when it comes to watchmaking. That is why it is spared, which I find somewhat dishonest.
Ickler and Damasko make their cases in-house, so they don't need to worry about disclosing a supply chain that competitors could have access to and potentially disrupt. Jorg clearly stated that the supplier will not be revealed, which makes total sense (at least to several of us). He spent a lot of time and money on forging a relationship with a specific supplier, so why offer such info for competitors to take advantage of. He clearly mentioned that he sources outside of Germany if it's of higher quality than what's available in Germany.

I didn't want to get involved in this, but this thread has become a cockroach that won't die! Like others have said, if you're not satisfied with the answer given, then move along.

·
Registered
81 Posts
imho, for the price Stowa charges (the premium over the competition), and taking into consideration the third-party movements used, I would expected most, if not all the production to be in Germany - that's the value-add I expect when I bought my Stowa Flieger.

'Made in China' has come a long way, and it is incredibly snobbish to think otherwise. Having said that, the price reflects German skilled-labor, and craftsmanship.

81 - 100 of 152 Posts