WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
101 - 120 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Ickler and Damasko make their cases in-house, so they don't need to worry about disclosing a supply chain that competitors could have access to and potentially disrupt. Jorg clearly stated that the supplier will not be revealed, which makes total sense (at least to several of us). He spent a lot of time and money on forging a relationship with a specific supplier, so why offer such info for competitors to take advantage of. He clearly mentioned that he sources outside of Germany if it's of higher quality than what's available in Germany.

I didn't want to get involved in this, but this thread has become a cockroach that won't die! Like others have said, if you're not satisfied with the answer given, then move along.
Excellent point that SHOULD make sense to ANYONE. Along the same lines, Ickler provides their cases to 3rd party watch brands, and refuses to reveal who those brands are (I only know of two and that was after doing extensive digging). So, answer some folks are looking for or not from Stowa, silence to keep a competitive edge is not an uncommon practice in the industry.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
The OP asked if the cases were made in China, I doubt a simple "yes" would have lead to a certain supplier and interruption of the supply chain...keep beating the drum boys.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
The OP asked if the cases were made in China, I doubt a simple "yes" would have lead to a certain supplier and interruption of the supply chain...keep beating the drum boys.
If I were a competitor of STOWA and found out the geographical region where their cases are sourced, then I would certainly do more digging to find out specifically who sources them.

Now, back to my drumming ...

·
Registered
81 Posts
If 80% is not good enough for you, then move on. Stowa is not the watch for you.

Simple.
I would have preferred the case not be in the 20% though.

I still have the smile on my face when I put on my flieger, but I am not going to deny that it feels 'different' after this episode.

·
Registered
435 Posts
If I was Stowa competitor, I would make my cases to a higher standards. I have one watch from Stowa, a MO and I like it very much, but that does not mean that I find it perfect. If I did, I wouldn't participate in this tread at all. I claim the case of my MO is not on par with other watches I own. The polish on my Oris John Coltrane reveals immaculate mirror surfaces and curvatures. When I touch it, all edges are smooth and nice. My MO case has slightly warped mirrors on the left side of the watch that speaks of certain geometric imperfections. When I touch the case back and especially where it joins the case I feel very sharp edges here and there. I don't say that it is terrible, but it is not at the same level as other competitively priced watches. So now, when the origin of Stowa cases remains officially undisclosed, but non-German for sure, I return to my initial observations upon my MO, just they seem more reasonable this time around.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
If I was Stowa competitor, I would make my cases to a higher standards. I have one watch from Stowa, a MO and I like it very much, but that does not mean that I find it perfect. If I did, I wouldn't participate in this tread at all. I claim the case of my MO is not on par with other watches I own. The polish on my Oris John Coltrane reveals immaculate mirror surfaces and curvatures. When I touch it, all edges are smooth and nice. My MO case has slightly warped mirrors on the left side of the watch that speaks of certain geometric imperfections. When I touch the case back and especially where it joins the case I feel very sharp edges here and there. I don't say that it is terrible, but it is not at the same level as other competitively priced watches. So now, when the origin of Stowa cases remains officially undisclosed, but non-German for sure, I return to my initial observations upon my MO, just they seem more reasonable this time around.
While Stowa sources the machined cases from a supplier, it was my understanding that they grind/polish them in house. Others who have more insight on that process please jump in.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have two Stowa watches. One is brushed and one polished and BOTH cases are immaculate from what I can tell. That said, I don't own a Rolex, PP, AP, VC or any of the other uber-expensive brands, so I cannot make a comparison. But I certainly find the watch to look and run beautifully especially considering the cost of the watches.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
6 years apart from these two watches. I don't see any changes in quality. The Flieger 2801 LE still looks amazing after all these years. The TO2 is stunning in all aspects. I would say the hand finishing job done by Stowa in house is amazing. In a competitive market it's perfectly understandable that watch companies do not want to disclose who their suppliers are. If they do they would only harm themselves by letting their direct competitors know their sources. In reality, no companies have the obligation to let the customers know who they buy from. For me, I always believe that it doesn't matter where the cases are originated, as long as they are well-made and finished nicely.

Analog watch Watch Fashion accessory Watch accessory Jewellery Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
From my amateur internet research and asking around in certain circles, it seems Fricker is a provider of cases to Stowa, which Stowa then finishes. Fricker is certainly a German company. Not sure which cases and if all cases come from them.

http://www.w-fricker.de/englisch/unternehmen.html

They are located 16 Minutes from Stowa. Makes sense to me.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
From my amateur internet research and asking around in certain circles, it seems Fricker is a provider of cases to Stowa, which Stowa then finishes. Fricker is certainly a German company. Not sure which cases and if all cases come from them.

Electronics Technology Electronic device

Fricker is certainly a supplier of Stowa.

Link: A trip to Stowa

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
If I were a competitor of STOWA and found out the geographical region where their cases are sourced, then I would certainly do more digging to find out specifically who sources them.

Now, back to my drumming ...

Lol. Would rather beat my drumb than a dead horse.

Reactions: flappylove

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
The end result is very German, done to Schauer standards. You're the first I've ever seen to actually have a problem with that level. No doubt influenced by the pure speculation running through this thread.

The facts about your case is this:
1) Fricker is a German case maker, and Jorge sourced from them. Fricker's standing in the industry speaks for itself.
2) Jorge's talented team takes those cases and finishes them to their high standards.

These are the FACTS you're dealing with in this thread. All this other heresay only carries any weight if someone can prove that Fricker has an Asian based plant. People have speculated for years that they do, but I've never once seen any evidence at all to support their claims. I'm one to follow facts, not conspiracy theories.

Reactions: John048

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
My MO case has slightly warped mirrors on the left side of the watch that speaks of certain geometric imperfections. When I touch the case back and especially where it joins the case I feel very sharp edges here and there. I don't say that it is terrible, but it is not at the same level as other competitively priced watches.
And you have explained this to Stowa, and have given them a chance to make it right?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Reading Stowa forum and replays from Joerg, I've got a feeling that surely Stowa would fix the finish of your watch if you would step in contact with them when you received the watch.

·
Registered
435 Posts
OK, I like my MO and until this moment I thought that maybe side surfaces of the watch are slightly concave by design, despite that I prefer them being completely straight - that is the shape of the watch being a perfect cylinder and not sort of a minor hiperboloide. Even now I am not sure if it is a shape or misshape, independent of the case origin. I can just say that as I feel it, straight walls of the watch case would have oozed extreme quality for me. As would a dial without that slight hump on the subdial near the centre of the seconds hand.
But I stop writing in this thread, because I really don't want to be misunderstood, and I get the impression that it is exactly what is happening.
I like Stowa very much and I find MO to be extremely beautiful and quality watch with some minor visual glitches ( at least my piece).
If Jorg releases a limited edition with enamel dial, I'd be one of the first to place an order :)

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I've noticed, after your post I inspected my watch very detailed, that my surfaces are very parallel and neatly finished. The tops of the lug edges are very slightly rounded, to the tune of around 1/50 mm, but the bottom edges of the lugs are "sharp" enough to take off fingernail material if I drag one across it.

I don't know if this is intent (sharp, clean visual lines) or not (forgot to spec broken edges). With a magnifying glass, I can also see very faint hints of machining lines in the sides of the bezel. Otherwise the watch is dead perfect. Bezel line up at 12 is dead nuts 0/0. Which is something I really hate when its off, or the bezel has play in it.

Except that scratch on the glass that, while faint, is bugging the heck out of me. But that is not Jorgs fault, now is it? :) Do the TO1s have AR on the outside? No blue tint on mine, but it appears anti reflective. Never could find that info. The stickies are outdated too. :p Edit: The bottom glass certainly has some blue tint something on the outside, half of it has rubbed off (middle part with skin contact).

How does a certain maker of very awesome ti custom flashlights say: "My products are hand finished, and may bear certain finishing or machining marks. If your flashlight has zero marks, please send it back and we will add one for you free of charge." (c) mcgizmo

·
Registered
81 Posts

[iurl="https://www.watchuseek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5744410&d=1445446911"]
[/iurl]

Fricker is certainly a supplier of Stowa.

Link: A trip to Stowa
Fricker case quality, and Schauer's finishing were part of the reason I believe Stowa commands a higher standing than its competitors.

Over here, the same people who sold us on these values of the case finishing, are now passing the notion that the origin of the watches does not matter, with the 80-20 argument.

·
Registered
271 Posts
This thread is tiresome. Like a really stupid dog chasing its own tail.
Not disclosing the source of the cases is something Jorg is perfectly entitled to do. This does not make it suspicious, does not create a scandal.
Some of the posts on this thread sound like hack journalists chasing a story that doesn't exist. Why do you want to find something damning? (and why is something sourced in China damning anyway? I don't know if you've seen China lately but they do some pretty exceptional things over there)

To question the integrity of a businessman who engages so personally with his customers and manages a company as personable and dedicated to quality as Stowa is embarrassing.

101 - 120 of 152 Posts