WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
121 - 140 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Can someone please give me the last 10 minutes of my life back after reading this thread... Wow

To be honest, the origin of x% or cases from one country over another is pointless. There is nothing in this world of any complexity that is produced from a single country. Seems arbitrary to me so long as the manufacturer isn't misleading by any source claims of the product.

Im willing to bet that nearly all Swiss watch brands have something of Chinese origins within their supply chain. How much Middle eastern oil drives these supply chains?

I'll bet Jorg doesn't divulge the exact suppliers of every part for many reasons:

Does the "made in China" stigma hurt (considering the numerous counterfeits from there)? Sure. But why should he be pressed/demanded to explicitly disclose that if others won't? I'll buy this and defend his choice of words. If you don't agree, start with Rolex and ask them direct source of every part in their supply chain first!

You do realize other companies that get parts, say for example watch cases, from a Swiss supplier could very easily use Chinese raw materials or semi-processed parts that they merely finish in Switzerland. This other company then can play the game and say, "I get my cases from Switzerland". But how do you know the true underlying source country or what % was China vs. Swiss?

Perhaps he wont divulge the origin of the cases that perhaps a direct competitor of his uses. Then you'd all jump on and say, "Really, they use the same case mfg. as Steinhart/Domasko/etc. I thought I was buying a Stowa."

OR Perhaps watch companies can use multiple suppliers for different cases or even different batches. Then everyone would be specifically requesting the Prodiver with the Case made in Austria and not the one made in Poland!

At the end of the day, Stpwa watches are high quality German watches sold at a great value. Jorg really puts himself out there by personally participating in this forum and doesn't owe us a damn thing because someone simply asked a question the OP, and others, thought he/they "deserved" an answer to.

Besides, who cares where a case comes from as long as the metal is quality and the finish is up to par...

·
Registered
81 Posts
so this thread transform from "no, that must be a fake case, or someone must have used the case and put in the Chinese dial and movement" to "no, the origin of the case does not matter, shame on you to even question the origin"

firstly, I will clarify that I love my stowa flieger. secondly, when this thread started, I belong to the group that believe the case is a fake.

but the direction this thread appears to stir to, imply that yes the case might be made by the Chinese, which I take offense to, not because it may be made by the Chinese, but because dozen of threads online credit Stowa for the use of Fricker case, and Stowa's finishing - both of which plays a big part in the buying process, when making comparison to other "lesser" brands

·
Registered
181 Posts
Not disclosing the source of the cases is something Jorg is perfectly entitled to do.
Noone asked for exact manufacturer.

This does not make it suspicious, does not create a scandal.
Noone characterized this as a scandal

Some of the posts on this thread sound like hack journalists chasing a story that doesn't exist. Why do you want to find something damning?
Noone has expressed their intent as to find something damning

[(and why is something sourced in China damning anyway? I don't know if you've seen China lately but they do some pretty exceptional things over there)
Contradicting yourself. If Chinese manufacturing is not damning, why do you paint those who might be trying to get a confirmation of that fact as trying "to find something damning"

To question the integrity of a businessman who engages so personally with his customers and manages a company as personable and dedicated to quality as Stowa is embarrassing.
I find this strawmen argument embarassing, as are the behavior of those who seemingly take personal offense at anything that *might* be perceived as a slight to some object(s) they worship.

Stowa makes nice watches - I even own them.

Horology is a hobby. It's perfectly natural for people to have curiosity over things they spend their money on. It's not a tribunal, its not a witch hunt. Get over the defensive attitude.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
My guess is, purely hypo:

Stowa cases along with many other brands used to get their case from Fricker, but overtime, things have change, and maybe its more feasible to source somewhere else and there's even saying that Fricker now have a secret plant in china.

Im not sure whether Stowa still source from Fricker, but with now since the origin and input for Fricker case also being questions, there is simply nothing safe from china / Asia. Getting case from German or Swiss company doesnt mean the product is not from China /Asia.

Step back and think about it, it doesn't make sense from business point of view to ignore the oppourtunity to cut down on cost as long as the quality remains. From what I read, most watch company, Stowa included, add value by polishing their cases themselves.

So yes, we havent heard much from this subject because its an industry trade secret and its a can full of worms, and no one is going to open the can and show it to you. I am as curious as you, you and you, but...

For X files fans: The truth is out there....

Can we at least peace out and wait for the return of X files to the TV screen?

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,887 Posts
My guess is, purely hypo:

Stowa cases along with many other brands used to get their case from Fricker, but overtime, things have change, and maybe its more feasible to source somewhere else and there's even saying that Fricker now have a secret plant in china.

Im not sure whether Stowa still source from Fricker, but with now since the origin and input for Fricker case also being questions, there is simply nothing safe from china / Asia. Getting case from German or Swiss company doesnt mean the product is not from China /Asia.

Step back and think about it, it doesn't make sense from business point of view to ignore the oppourtunity to cut down on cost as long as the quality remains. From what I read, most watch company, Stowa included, add value by polishing their cases themselves.

So yes, we havent heard much from this subject because its an industry trade secret and its a can full of worms, and no one is going to open the can and show it to you. I am as curious as you, you and you, but...

For X files fans: The truth is out there....

Can we at least peace out and wait for the return of X files to the TV screen?

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk
Hear ya on the x files, hope they don't suck.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Been a long time fan is Jorge and his companies. This is by memory from years ago but I believe that the pro diver cases were made by Fricker. Maybe some of the other cases too. That all might have changed since years ago.

What I wanted to say is that thank you Jorg for pricing your watches at what they are. You could certainly charge more for the quality you are putting out. Running a business and putting out quality requires a balance. You have to make a profit. I can totally understand when you out source in order to decrease cost and maximize profit.

So what Jorg is saying is that with a 70 or 80 to 20 to 30 percent ratio of parts, he turning out a great product that we all really like at a good price point. If he didn't source parts, that price point probably would be a lot higher, so in the end, we, the end users reap the benefits.

Stowa is a German company. Whoever says it's Chinese or whatever is just ridiculous. Doesnt Jorg live and work in Germany? I dont think the Stowa company is in China.

Never had a Stowa watch that was anything but excellent.

·
Registered
5,221 Posts
I prefer 20 to 30 percent more expensive watch that is 100% German.
Doesn't quite work that way. There are a pretty good number of 100% (very close) German manufacturers out there. Just expect to pay roughly 6x the average Stowa prices for one. Happy shopping!

Reactions: Peter Atwood

·
Registered
1,028 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
55,430 Posts
Further research found that the Stowa rubber straps are actually made in Italy. (Sports models) Of course this has nothing to do with the watch itself, but its neither Germany NOR China.

Available without Stowa laser for 34 USD (Second link)

BONETTO CINTURINI - Rubber Straps for Watches, General Catalogue
https://www.globalwatchband.com/italian-mens-rubber-deployment-watch-band-strap-24mm.html

Found while looking for 24mm straps for my TO1.
As Jörg stated:"80 percent of the value of Stowa watches is created in Europe". Thanks for the proof.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Nothing like that very vanilla Italian Rubber!!

In any event, its pretty tasteless to pick apart Stowa for using components not 100% sourced from within the 2-acre plot of land surrounding Stowa's factory... especially considering the exceptional value they are.

Further research found that the Stowa rubber straps are actually made in Italy. (Sports models) Of course this has nothing to do with the watch itself, but its neither Germany NOR China.

Available without Stowa laser for 34 USD (Second link)

BONETTO CINTURINI - Rubber Straps for Watches, General Catalogue
https://www.globalwatchband.com/italian-mens-rubber-deployment-watch-band-strap-24mm.html

Found while looking for 24mm straps for my TO1.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Nothing like that very vanilla Italian Rubber!!

In any event, its pretty tasteless to pick apart Stowa for using components not 100% sourced from within the 2-acre plot of land surrounding Stowa's factory... especially considering the exceptional value they are.
Do read the entire thread before you jump at me for being tasteless. ;) I feel I am quite factual with my posts, without attacking anyone - not members or Stowa.

·
Registered
6,546 Posts
If 80% is not good enough for you, then move on. Stowa is not the watch for you.

Simple.
Good point. And neither is Rolex, Omega, Tag Heuer, and the looooong list continues.

Is it a full moon, or what?

The movement of Swiss watches must be more than 50% Swiss "by value", and the overall watch must also be more than 50% Swiss "by value", and final assembly must be in Switzerland. Where do those foaming at the mouth over some sort of shocking exposé of Stowa think that the major Swiss brands source their other 49% "by value" from? Peru, perchance? Or maybe a small factory in the south of Norway? Wake up, folks, even Boeing outsources huge components from China.

Global economy, innit.

Take the self-righteousness over to the Omega forum, so we Stowa fan boys can return to admiring our Fliegers. Hmm....

Ric

·
Registered
745 Posts
stowa pilot straps are really good for value and lasting. i have one on my laco and it still looks good after many years. but my original laco ones have already reduced it's width size and I can see the spring bars at the edges.

121 - 140 of 152 Posts