WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since most of the G-Shocks are rated to at least 200m the standard entry rating for a dive watch if thats true, Then why are'nt they advertise as dive watches or I'm I missing something.:think::think::think::thanks

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
most people probably think about an analog watch when they talk about dive watches. most g-shocks are digital, so probably a lot of people do not associate them with diving.

but there are lots of pro divers wearing a g-shock, there is no reason to believe a G wouldn't do the job. its just not their advertised market.

regards, holger

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Someone will know the correct name but the Frogman has been certified through some type of process. other Gs are not due to cost. They all should preform well though. when diving I allways used a dive computer watch is a back up.:)

·
Banned
5,568 Posts
I know ADAN does a 'Hydro' to his watches, which I believe is filling the watch with oil. Remember that 200M is 660FT so any G will do for regular scuba diving.

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
21,569 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know G-Shocks are not advertised as dive watches, because they are not ISO rated. For these rating every watch need to be tested, which is pretty expensive. Only the Frogman is ISO rated for 200m water resistance. You can find the ISO rating back in the price.

This does not mean G-Shocks are not good for scuba diving. they are 20 bar water resist, only not certified, so they can keep the price down.

ADAN's Hydro's are not "just for scuba diving" (I dig that Hydro Raysman"). When air is replaced by silicon oil, you upgrade a 200m Water resist case to an approx. 1000m water resist case. Hydro's can be used for serious deep sea diving (with Nitrox and Heliox mixtures).

Cheers,

Sjors

·
Registered
505 Posts
Most Gs are rated to pressure of 200m - apparently this is different to the actual water conditions at 200m.

The Frogman is the only ISO certified (international standards organisation) watch.
I suspect that most Gs would survive a dive anyway! However i also believe promoting Gs as dive watches would distract from their main market.

·
Registered
8,522 Posts

ADAN's Hydro's are not "just for scuba diving" (I dig that Hydro Raysman"). When air is replaced by silicon oil, you upgrade a 200m Water resist case to an approx. 1000m water resist case. Hydro's can be used for serious deep sea diving (with Nitrox and Heliox mixtures).

Cheers,

Sjors
well sjors,

actually a hydro watch maximum reachable depth is infinite (or at least as deep as it gets which is about 11000 meters). however, the quarz vial will crack at about 5000-6000 meters, though the case itself will stay intact.

regards, holger

·
Registered
35,399 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know G-Shocks are not advertised as dive watches, because they are not ISO rated. For these rating every watch need to be tested, which is pretty expensive. Only the Frogman is ISO rated for 200m water resistance. You can find the ISO rating back in the price.

This does not mean G-Shocks are not good for scuba diving. they are 20 bar water resist, only not certified, so they can keep the price down.

Cheers,

Sjors
Great info, thanks Sjors. :)

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
Most Gs are rated to pressure of 200m - apparently this is different to the actual water conditions at 200m.
thats why i prefer the term "20bar". it is a precise physical measurement on how much pressure a watch can take, regardless of the liquid dense.

regards, holger

·
Registered
49 Posts
try asking this question on the dive watch forum. There are lots of active military and other prof. divers on that forum that will tell you that g-shock is one of the most popular dive wathes in thier fields. If it's good enugh for the Navy SEALS, its good enugh for me.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I was talking to a true military diver a month or so ago (we were both on the Oris forum that day) and he only wore G's for his dives, with dive computer of course. They never failed him----his G's only "broke" when he wore out the straps or banging them against something in the equipment room. I can't remember his name on WUS but he sent me pics of his retired G's, all still keeping time! He certainly did WR/pressure test during battery change time to ensure the integrity of the watches.

·
Registered
35,399 Posts
I was talking to a true military diver a month or so ago (we were both on the Oris forum that day) and he only wore G's for his dives, with dive computer of course. They never failed him----his G's only "broke" when he wore out the straps or banging them against something in the equipment room. I can't remember his name on WUS but he sent me pics of his retired G's, all still keeping time! He certainly did WR/pressure test during battery change time to ensure the integrity of the watches.
Another shoulder stripe for Gs! :-!

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
Regardless of pressure resistance... The G Shock is not technically a dive watch. Dive watches have certain ISO criteria they must meet. Sjors is right. "REAL" dive watches need rotating bezels with lume dots, different minute and hour hands, lume markers... etc etc...

Now, can you dive with a G... Probably will take as much as any rec diver will throw at them. As a matter of fact, its kind of a joke that tourists wear "REAL" dive watches... Captains, First Mates, Dive Masters, all wear G's... while of course thats not true in all cases, my brief diving experience bears that out.

I dive with several folks that wear G's and they all do just fine. 60-100 feet is PLENTY deep for me! :) There is a lot to see at that depth... and I would wear almost every G I have at those depths. I wore my Seiko Diver and my Hamilton diver for my class and my 1st half dozen dives. One of the guys in my class wore a G. no issue at all. We dove to 70-75 feet.

If you look closely you can see the G on my buddy's wrist.

My SKX is tucked up under my wet suit. :)

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
LOL rarely... although I would love to more. I got certified last year... I have a whopping 7 dives in my book! I hope to get more this summer!

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
Kiwi does do a damn fine job of promoting Hamiltons...

That rectangular one always causes me to pause as I scroll down the WRUW threads.

By the way, that's the way I like to read those threads - scroll down at a fair speed, ignoring who's wearing what, until a picture causes you to slam on the brakes. Too time-consuming otherwise. ;-)

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Since most of the G-Shocks are rated to at least 200m the standard entry rating for a dive watch if thats true, Then why are'nt they advertise as dive watches or I'm I missing something.:think::think::think::thanks
If you ask on a dive forum, G's are very widely used. Only the Frog is ISO certified, but that's a cost thing. However the whole diving watch thing is illusory - people tend to use cheap excellent dive computers these days. Doxas etc are mostly jewellery.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts