WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Squales look really good. They look a little more solid than the Steinharts. I'm particularly talking about the subs, but the vintage 101s look cool too.

So for those who have had both, are they "better"? Seems like some of the guys who have some really high end stuff and the new Squale are wearing them a lot. As always pics are a plus.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Personally both Squale and Steinharts are okay watches. Squales are a little smaller at 40mm vs 42mm (Steinhart). I have 7.5" wrists so the Squale wears a little small on me.

Although both are using same Swiss movements, I find the Squale watches wind up more easily than Steinharts.

Here pics for your viewing pleasure.

Steinhart Ocean Vintage Red

Squale 20atm Maxi

Squale Root Beer next to Steinhart Ocean

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Pics don't do real justice mate i can guarantee you that!
I own a Squale 20Atmos Classic the very first batch and all i can say to you is this.. it's a high quality sub-homage and as far as i'm concerned wins the comparison against the Ocean1 which i owned and flipped by the way.
For reference i owned and handled several Rolexes including a Seadweller 16600 so, i know perfectly what i'm wearing right now, in other words, not a cheap and dirty copy but as i said above a high quality homage made by a reputable brand!

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like the big crown on the Sqaule

·
Registered
517 Posts
I have the 2nd batch of the classic 1545 20atmos. I can say it is a great value for the money. Excellent build quality. I really like the bracelet. It is really comfortable. Mine is extremely accurate +1 sec per 24hrs. I've owned Steinhart as well. I had the O1VR, OVM, and O1 Black. My Steinhart's were also accurate. All were with in COSC specs. The Steinhart O1's serires are very similar to the Squale 1545 in that they use the same case, bezel, and bracelet. I feel that the build quality between the two are extremely similar. I have since sold my Steinhart's. The reason I went for the Squale is the case size. Steinhart L2L is too long for me and never fit my 6.75" wrist properly. The lugs were too straight as well. The O1 Black i didn't care for the lume and cyclops w asn't very good, more aesthetics over function. The 1545 cyclops is excellent. It really magnifies.

A few things good and bad from my personal experience of the Squale 1545.
The standout features to me:
The cyclops is excellent. It makes the date easier to read which is a plus to those that don't have perfect vision.
The end links. I really like the end links. They are made very well and fit the case perfectly. They also curve downward more so than other end links which makes the watch really comfortable to wear on the bracelet.
The case size. It is really a great size.
The crown threads really well into the case.

The not so good.
The lume on a the 6 and 9 isn't perfect. If you look really close you can see it goes over the edge. It doesn't bother me, but I think it is worth noting
The PIP is too small. Again doesn't bother me, but I think it would look better with a larger PIP or remove the PIP and lume the 12 triangle.
My bezel has about 1/2 click play at most. In my case it works to my advantage because the play allows me to perfectly align the bezel.

I think both are excellent watches and and both offer a great value for the money. In the end I like the Squale because of the case size. 40mm fits me perfectly. This is a watch I could wear everyday. I gave my O1VR to my dad so I still have a Steinhart in the family.

A few pics. The 2nd pic show the lume at the 9 that I mentioned above and the last pic you can see how the Steinhart doesn't fit my wrist that well. You can compare the 3rd pic to the last pic.

You can't go wrong with either company. They both offer 2 year warranty as well.

Squale-1545_03_SM_zps2c26f9bb.jpg

Squale-1545_02_SM_zps76513502.jpg

Squale-15451_01-500_zpsd1ab46c3.jpg

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Yep, i've noticed the lume imperfections in the new dials.
I checked my NOS classic dial under a x12 Bargeon eye-loupe, everything is applied nice and even no dust or lint anywhere, the bezel action is tight and align precisely no play at all, can't find any defect or flaw on mine, outstanding QC probably the best ever experienced in this price range!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
This recent squale enthusiasm has persuaded me to order a 20ATMOS few days ago, I should have it by the end of next week I hope.

In the meantime, I am really not quite sure how impressed I will be with the watch.
I was fairly impressed with my steinhart ocean 1 purchase - I thought it was a lot of watch for the money.

I guess that'd probably be the sort of impression I'd get should I'd purchased the Squale 20ATMOS first.

Now that I am familiar with how good a $400 sub homage can be, I am not sure if I'd be blown away by the incoming Squale.

Is there really such a big difference in build quality between the two?
I most certainly hope so... for I've spent a good deal of money just to find out!

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
This recent squale enthusiasm has persuaded me to order a 20ATMOS few days ago, I should have it by the end of next week I hope.

In the meantime, I am really not quite sure how impressed I will be with the watch.
I was fairly impressed with my steinhart ocean 1 purchase - I thought it was a lot of watch for the money.

I guess that'd probably be the sort of impression I'd get should I'd purchased the Squale 20ATMOS first.

Now that I am familiar with how good a $400 sub homage can be, I am not sure if I'd be blown away by the incoming Squale.

Is there really such a big difference in build quality between the two?
I most certainly hope so... for I've spent a good deal of money just to find out!
First of all, congratulations mate!
Now answering to your specific question, the perceived quality may vary from person to person there's no final answer indeed, you've just spent a good deal of money to find that out! :)
By the way, looking forward for pics and impressions.

cheers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts