WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Tianjin Sea-Gull was not the first to make a reissue of the 1963.
I believe the first were made around 2009(perhaps early) and had a connection to someone named Thomas(sp?) and Seagull HK (I think) . @AlbertaTime ,Ron, knows the exact details. I want to say "Red Star" might have had something to do with the early versions too, but I could be remembering incorrectly.
Ron has a great recorded interview that talks about this. It was shared in a thread, but I can't find it now.

I thought Sea-Gull produced the first bunch of "1963" in 2013 called FKJB.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
This thread has some good information too.
A lot was unraveled in the discussion. Worth looking at.

·
Moderator: F72 and F71
8,383 Posts
I believe the first were made around 2009(perhaps early) and had a connection to someone named Thomas(sp?) and Seagull HK (I think) . @AlbertaTime ,Ron, knows the exact details. I want to say "Red Star" might have had something to do with the early versions too, but I could be remembering incorrectly. Ron has a great recorded interview that talks about this. It was shared in a thread, but I can't find it now.
The interview is on this page: https://www.amchpr.com/cwcf2019_redstar.html with Thomas Leung of Red Star watches (Time King Industrial Company Limited) describing how he arranged for one, then another, small edition of re-issues back in, I think, around 2006, possibly slightly earlier, when he was working with Tsinlien Sea-Gull/Hong Kong (Sea-Gull Group). He states these were the first re-issues.

I think the initial sets described by Thomas in the interview are the same as the 208, then 500, sets built by Sea-Gull Group as described by HoustonReal (and linked by HR to the history provided by Mr. Zhang Yue), here:

From my research, the first 1963 Reissue was launched in Hong Kong in 2007 by the "Sea-Gull Group", a limited run of 208 with a numbered solid case back. It was then followed by another release of 500 with exhibition case back.
Mr. Leung provided me with the interview in 2019 when we met at the China Watch and Clock Fair, in Shenzhen.

I say 2006 because WUS member cnmark already had four variants by March of 2007 (noted here: About all that different Seagull "1963&quot... ), one being the one we all know, or very close to it, plus some more similar to the later, chunkier, Sea-Gull D304 -- and cnmark states in the post that he knows of "at least 6 variants."

Interesting to me is that cnmark noted a "0430 case with beige, white, black dials and roman numerals" already sold by that time Sea-Gull but only in China, that looked like this...

Watch Analog watch Photograph White Light

..and I wouldn't doubt at all that Sea-Gull had models like that available much earlier than 2006. 1992 wouldn't/doesn't surprise me at all.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The interview is on this page: https://www.amchpr.com/cwcf2019_redstar.html with Thomas Leung of Red Star watches (Time King Industrial Company Limited) describing how he arranged for one, then another, small edition of re-issues back in, I think, around 2006, possibly slightly earlier, when he was working with Tsinlien Sea-Gull/Hong Kong (Sea-Gull Group). He states these were the first re-issues.
Cool, this is very informative. Is the first 1963 reissue produced by HK Sea-Gull or TJ Sea-Gull or Thomas Leung?

·
Moderator: F72 and F71
8,383 Posts
Cool, this is very informative. Is the first 1963 reissue produced by HK Sea-Gull or TJ Sea-Gull?
I'm open to correction, but I believe HK Sea-Gull/Tsinlien produced the first re-issues, during the time Thomas worked for Tsinlien.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts