WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the latest entry on www.ablogtoread.com and saw this beautiful thing:

PP world timer.jpg

Unfortunately the $72K price tag is at least $65K more than I'd ever spend on a watch. Are there any relatively modern (say manufacturered in the last 2 decades) micro-rotor movements that are more reasonably priced?

Will

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
Chopard LUC movement.

·
Premium Member
22,574 Posts
This is the new Seagull microrotor movement, but it appears to still be in testing.

Reactions: Will_f

·
Registered
915 Posts
I was looking at the latest entry on www.ablogtoread.com and saw this beautiful thing:

View attachment 767187

Unfortunately the $72K price tag is at least $65K more than I'd ever spend on a watch. Are there any relatively modern (say manufacturered in the last 2 decades) micro-rotor movements that are more reasonably priced?

Will
Not the right age, but I'd go with a Universal Polerouter if looking for a microtor. Unfortunately the movement wouldn't be decorated and of course no exhibition caseback.

Why?

1: They invented the mictrotor
2: I'm a GG fan

Regards,

Mike

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh, also consider a Glashutte Original...they're not microrotors, but they have a similar visual effect:

Sure looks like a micro rotor. Close enough for me to consider. Basically I want one with a display back (half the joy for me).

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Will,
Perhaps the following article will be of interest to you, and give you some ideas also when it comes to vintage: An Artifact of Innovation: The Hamilton/Buren Intramatic [5/21/01] - TimeZone

Might also want to check out vintage Chronomatics, 1969-on (such as the Heuer Autavia, Carrera and Monaco). The chronomatic was one of if not the world's very first automatic chronographs (understand Zenith-Movado and Seiko were also working on their own versions at the time), and it was developed jointly by Heuer with Breitling and Hamilton-Buren (Hamilton-Buren "Intramatic" base).

(Note: Hamilton recently re-released both its Thin-O-Matic and Intra-matic, but they're not micro-rotorsbut rather ETA 2824 and ETA 2892, respectively). That said, the UG Polerouter micro-rotor also comes immediately to mind and, more recently: http://www.ablogtoread.com/universal-geneve-microtor-ug-101-is-every-mans-micro-rotor-watch/ .

Cheers

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Unfortunately, all I really accomplished there is to take a 70k price down to an 8k price lol.
True, but that won't stop me from looking for a gently used example. It's not a bad price for such a nicely made watch.

Will

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Will,
Perhaps the following article will be of interest to you, and give you some ideas also when it comes to vintage: An Artifact of Innovation: The Hamilton/Buren Intramatic [5/21/01] - TimeZone

Might also want to check out vintage Chronomatics, 1969-on (such as the Heuer Autavia, Carrera and Monaco). The chronomatic was one of if not the world's very first automatic chronographs (understand Zenith-Movado and Seiko were also working on their own versions at the time), and it was developed jointly by Heuer with Breitling and Hamilton-Buren (Hamilton-Buren "Intramatic" base).

(Note: Hamilton recently re-released both its Thin-O-Matic and Intra-matic, but they're not micro-rotorsbut rather ETA 2824 and ETA 2892, respectively). That said, the UG Polerouter micro-rotor also comes immediately to mind and, more recently: http://www.ablogtoread.com/universal-geneve-microtor-ug-101-is-every-mans-micro-rotor-watch/ .

Cheers
Thanks Sea-Wolf. I read that article about a year ago when I first discovered micro rotors. The challenge with the Hamilton-Buren (and apparently other micro-rotors if EBay pics are any guide) is the rotor bearing is prone to failure. That, and while nice examples can be found, nice examples in good shape are harder to come by. While I'm not against the Buren, I was thinking a little more upscale. The Universal Geneveve 100 and 101 series (especially the chronometer versions) qualify and are quite a bit newer though more expensive.

Will

·
Banned
7,819 Posts
Aristo - 4H30

Mmmmmmm - I like this one - are they still available then ?
Seems it won an award in 2003 ! - went on their website where it said live chat available but then changed to an email us panel - so I've fired an email off to Aristo
The other problem is their web presence is a bit off - went to aristo.ch which then directed me to aviation-time.com (not sure if that's still aristo or a retailer) and also to their own online shop site , but that just takes you to a "Poljot review cart" which hangs and hangs - also the price is in $
Also just found aristo-watch.de ??

Just who is who ?
Confused? - I will be ;-)

·
Registered
41,204 Posts
You have mail.
Mmmmmmm - I like this one - are they still available then ?
Seems it won an award in 2003 ! - went on their website where it said live chat available but then changed to an email us panel - so I've fired an email off to Aristo
The other problem is their web presence is a bit off - went to aristo.ch which then directed me to aviation-time.com (not sure if that's still aristo or a retailer) and also to their own online shop site , but that just takes you to a "Poljot review cart" which hangs and hangs - also the price is in $
Also just found aristo-watch.de ??

Just who is who ?
Confused? - I will be ;-)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts