WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The emphasis here is on the $1000 mark....I'm going to have a soft $1000 (unexpected Christmas bonus) to allocate towards a watch.

I know there's A LOT of value at $500-$600 - Cave Dweller/Reef Ranger, Auto Divemaster, Lum-Tec, Almighty SARB, Hamilton, Zeno (the list goes way on...)

The problem is that as I get close to $1000 I can't think of anything that justifies going beyond that $600ish mark. Oris, Raymond Weil, low-end Tag, low-end B&M...I feel like I'd be paying an extra $300-400 for a fancier name with no real gain in terms of watch value.
Responses from this thread seem to reinforce that notion: https://www.watchuseek.com/f71/favorite-sub-$1000-watch-594362.html It looks like all the recommendations are significantly below $1000.

At the moment, my thoughts are split between something in that $600 range or selling one of my affordables and going for a Sinn U1:-s

·
Registered
718 Posts
Sounds like you may have already come up with your solution-find a way to get the Sinn U1, or something else on your attainable must have list, by virtue of flipping or saving. IMO, it's Best to be completely satisfied with your purchase than to just shoot for a specific budget range.

With that said, it is interesting to see what others would go for within a given price range...

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sounds like you may have already come up with your solution-find a way to get the Sinn U1, or something else on your attainable must have list, by virtue of flipping or saving. IMO, it's Best to be completely satisfied with your purchase than to just shoot for a specific budget range.

With that said, it is interesting to see what others would go for within a given price range...
Nod...considering I've seen great values at $200, $600, $1500, even $3000-5000 I was surprised to draw a blank when it came to like $900-1100... so I'm just making sure I haven't overlooked or forgotten a brand/model before parting with cash

Edit: Almost forgot - due to health restrictions I can only buy 1 watch or else I would've already ordered a Bernhardt Binnacle Anchor and an Alpinist =p

Reactions: CitizenM

·
Registered
959 Posts
Well if that was my budget I would seriously consider Xetum. You don't see subdued modern design like it anywhere else in watches.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Nod...considering I've seen great values at $200, $600, $1500, even $3000-5000 I was surprised to draw a blank when it came to like $900-1100... so I'm just making sure I haven't overlooked or forgotten a brand/model before parting with cash
True...although the available choices expand exponentially if you're willing to consider pre-owned options. Now you got me thinking about doing the same with bonus money. The wheels are turning:think:

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
True...although the available choices expand exponentially if you're willing to consider pre-owned options. Now you got me thinking about doing the same with bonus money. The wheels are turning:think:
OMG...I completely forgot about checking watchrecon o| I wonder if this means something from UBoat will fall into my price range (see what happens when your head keeps banging into a wall)

Reactions: JWM69

·
Registered
14,860 Posts
Honestly, sell the affordable and go for the Sinn U1.

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Based on the number of U1s that come up for sale in the WUS sales forum, the Sinn seems like a watch that may be better in theory than reality. So you may be better off buying something you like at the $600.00 level and save the rest for a rainy day.

·
Registered
14,860 Posts
Based on the number of U1s that come up for sale in the WUS sales forum, the Sinn seems like a watch that may be better in theory than reality. So you may be better off buying something you like at the $600.00 level and save the rest for a rainy day.
Sometimes a member might need the money, and needs to make a sale quickly. So, they'll sell a model from their collection that they know is popular. Thus translating into a quick sale. They're not going to put up something for sale that is just going to sit there week after week with no takers.

Also, regarding the U1, I don't see a ton of members selling it. I look through that sub-forum. It seems that every month there is a different model from a different company that is flavor of the month.

·
Banned
626 Posts
M8885.4.23.1.jpg

This baby from Mido comes in at $1070. Features a 7750, fully equipped and a great mesh band. Screaming deal. Good brand, too. Classic design.

If you want a more modern design the Multifort and All Dial Chronographs are in the same price range.

movadobaby_2184_682125073.jpg

This one is the new Aquis Diver from Oris. Ceramic bezel I think. Looks VERY sweeet with the dark blue color scheme. Cost is $1175.

Otherwise you are totally right, the $1000 price class is not populated with amazing deals. But whatever you do, don't waste your money on a U-Boat if you care for value. ;)

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
^ This is a very excellent point, and makes a ton of sense, I agree. As do the suggestions regarding the used market. Sinn, Tutima, Fortis, Muhle Glashutte, and any number of other German makers plus can be had used in this price range; great watches, Gatos and if you want a Sinn U1, then I second the advice of Monocrom and others here who suggest selling the affordable to get that which you really want. Like others have said, buying something for the sake of it may quell an itch per se, but it won't provide you with that which you want, so far as the urge for a i.e. Sinn can only be satisfied by getting the actual Sinn that you really want. Just my 2 cents, and hope this helps. Otherwise, some other ideas for you, along similar lines, provided once again that you're okay with used/pre-loved.

Cheers.

·
Registered
20,990 Posts
Hamilton.

Reactions: Duder

·
Moderator at Large
54,016 Posts
The Damasko DA 36, ordered in Germany, - VAT, should be about 967.53 USD. You will get a lot of innovation for 1000 bucks then.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Sinn 556 comes in just shy of $1k. I think there are some nice Stowas at just below that.

I love that Mido, by the way. I'm not familiar with that brand at all.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
The same could be said for the majority of watches sold here.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
+1 for Mido, Stowa and Damasko

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
Citizen signature series,Grand Complication. I have not seen any of these for much less than a 1000..The other signatures are under a 1000.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts