WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be a question for the HEQ crowd, but I figure I'll ask it here as well. Are there any high end (very high performance and accuracy specs) digital quartz modules out there? if so can you point us toward some watches which use them?

I ask only because the trend in digitals seems to be toward adding functions as opposed to overall accuracy. That plus if accuracy is the ultimate need Radio control seems to answer that. I have never seen a very high end digital quartz module, but I have seen them in analog. Something like that must exist right?

·
Registered
18,162 Posts
Seiko, Citizen, and ETA are the only producers of real HEQ movements. To achieve Quartz Chronometer status you need to have thermocompensation (on the time not the altitude!). HEQ is full of this stuff.

·
Registered
18,162 Posts
I saw no accuracy specification. A normal HEQ will take a year or more to have as much error as a normal quartz will have in a month. Ronda makes some nice movements but none have thermocompensation. And anyone can describe their watch as high end.... but that doesn't make it true.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Well, as far as Breitling's are concerned,.. the B-1, Emergency, and Avantage all contain thermocompensated mvmts..

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
18,109 Posts
I saw no accuracy specification. A normal HEQ will take a year or more to have as much error as a normal quartz will have in a month. Ronda makes some nice movements but none have thermocompensation. And anyone can describe their watch as high end.... but that doesn't make it true.
I agree. The genius of Ronda, that has kept them from being swallowed by ETA, is using technology to achieve maximum value-for-money for the low to low-mid price range. Developing thermocompensation would be a money-pit for them.

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found some reference to a watch called a Sjöö Sandström? that supposedly is one of the only (if not the only) current production thermocompensated digital quartz movement. I also found a reference to previous digital watches using the same movement, as well as another reference to a couple of old pulsars (p2 and p3) which had thermocompensated movements. all in all it was 6 different watches (and I think only 2 movements), which seemd to span the history of digital quartz.

I'm I getting the impression that digital displays are somehow seen as less deserving of high end watch technology? I wonder if modern digital displays so as e-ink could go some way toward changing that.

·
Premium Member
7,543 Posts
any (partial) digital watch that's higher end than Omega X-33 Speedmaster?
While the X-33 is a great watch with a wonderful set of features (I really like mine!), I would not call it an HEQ watch.

Accuracy for mine is running at about -8 sec/month.

Certainly good enough, and well within what one can expect for a "normal" quartz watch, but not "High End" by any means.

I would expect an HEQ watch to exhibit accuracy around +8 sec/year or better.

While I certainly consider my X-33 "High End" as far as watches are concerned, I believe it does not fall into the definition of HEQ as we are using it here.

Just my opinion - worth what you paid for it ... :-!

·
Registered
18,162 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Is this still the case???

·
Registered
94 Posts
A lot of the Casio models have High End Quartz modules in them.
Not really... they have banal 32kHz quartz oscillators non compensated, found in any other quartz watch.

The trimming screw help adjusting the ambient temperature/time drift ratio, but that it.

·
Registered
6,106 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts