WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Vostok Amphibian, and I read that they purposely designed the crown on the watch so it wouldn't strip the threads on the crown. It is so ingenious. Are there any other dive watches like that too?

·
Registered
8,547 Posts
What about the Amphibian design prevents thread stripping? To be honest, mine had the most flimsy feeling crown / mechanism I've ever felt on a watch (and have read this is common).

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Yes, it does feel flimsy. Matter of fact, the Vostok Amphibian was originally designed as a hand wound watch. In order to do that, the engineers made a few interesting design choices.

First of all, not putting a gasket on the stem itself. Winding the watch daily would only wear that one down. The only gasket is inside the crown, and is compressed when you screw the crown down. This means that your Amphibia has zero water resistance when not screwed down, but it also means that the gasket used for water resistance won't wear down so quickly.

Second, instead of using a spring loaded crown, the Amphibia has a crown with a clutch system. Simply put: one needs to put slight outward pressure on the crown to make it connect to the stem, otherwise it can rotate freely on the stem. This makes the crown wobbly, but it also makes screwing it down wonderfully easy without a strong spring putting tension on the crown.

I have seen (and owned a few) vintage Amphibia's, and coming from Russia you know they've been used. Not a single one of them has had any problem with the threads of the crown tube. In fact, the crowns on my Amphibia are the smoothest screw down crowns I have felt so far...

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
There are a number of watches with the clutch type crown (depressing the crown disengages the stem from the crown), but few, if any Swiss or Japanese designs omit the spring, simply because it makes winding easier.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
There are a number of watches with the clutch type crown (depressing the crown disengages the stem from the crown), but few, if any Swiss or Japanese designs omit the spring, simply because it makes winding easier.
I agree, winding it takes some getting used to. But, I feel that screwing the crown down is a lot easier when there is no spring working against you. IMHO, the lack of that spring causes less tension on the threads when winding. Or am I seeing this wrong?

·
Registered
8,547 Posts
Thanks for the interesting replies/links. I wasn't really questioning the integrity of the system, which seems quite sound, but what it has to do with "so it wouldn't strip the threads on the crown". It's not important, I'm just missing the connection I guess. Unfortunately I sold my Amphibia anyway!! : (

Cheers,
HBL

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Thanks for the interesting replies/links. I wasn't really questioning the integrity of the system, which seems quite sound, but what it has to do with "so it wouldn't strip the threads on the crown". It's not important, I'm just missing the connection I guess. Unfortunately I sold my Amphibia anyway!! : (

Cheers,
HBL
IMHO and the way I feel it when screwing it down, the lack of pressure on the crown when screwing it down makes it very easy to screw the crown down. I don't even have to do the "turn it the other way to find the start of the threads" trick to get it to screw down smoothly, something I have to do with all my other screw down crown watches. I compare it a bit with screwing a nut on a bolt. This is very easy to do when the nut is completely free, but when you put a spring on the bolt it becomes a lot trickier to screw the nut on...

·
Registered
8,547 Posts
IMHO and the way I feel it when screwing it down, the lack of pressure on the crown when screwing it down makes it very easy to screw the crown down. I don't even have to do the "turn it the other way to find the start of the threads" trick to get it to screw down smoothly, something I have to do with all my other screw down crown watches. I compare it a bit with screwing a nut on a bolt. This is very easy to do when the nut is completely free, but when you put a spring on the bolt it becomes a lot trickier to screw the nut on...
That's a fair point about getting the threading started cleanly. I too use the "back spin" technique until I feel the two thread ends pass each other, then I know they are aligned to thread. This is harder to feel/do when back pressure is present, certainly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts