WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been on the hunt for a new watch for a little while now, posted on here a few times & had loads of really good help as I was looking for a Submariner Homage, I've stumbled across the Milgauss from Rolex and it's absolutely gorgeous. Are there any watches out there around the £500-800 mark that are similar to this? The only one I've been able to find is the 'Bagelsport' one & in all honesty I want something a bit more expensive.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Phylida has one. Should be a bit better than the bagelsport, but still nothing $500 good. I have a couple of their other pieces and think they are some of the best watches in their respective price ranges.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Phylida has one. Should be a bit better than the bagelsport, but still nothing $500 good. I have a couple of their other pieces and think they are some of the best watches in their respective price ranges.

Ah thanks mate, yeah that looks good! I wonder if there are any slightly better quality watches out there of a similar style.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Had no idea Milgauss homages were even a thing! I've been keeping my eye out for a white dial watch lately and the sterile dial Phylida may fit the bill, especially at this price point.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Had no idea Milgauss homages were even a thing! I've been keeping my eye out for a white dial watch lately and the sterile dial Phylida may fit the bill, especially at this price point.
FWIW, like I Said, I've got a couple Phylida (st19 speedmaster and an Aqua Terra) and I'm very happy with them. So much so that I just ordered their seamaster and GMT

·
Registered
7,900 Posts
You could probably roll your own with a mod build. Something like this, but I know you are looking for upscale compared to a Seiko 5 mod.

Probably, I'd just get one of those Phylida and call it a day.

·
Registered
925 Posts
FWIW, like I Said, I've got a couple Phylida (st19 speedmaster and an Aqua Terra) and I'm very happy with them. So much so that I just ordered their seamaster and GMT
Thanks for the insight! Just found out they make an OP homage as well (though it has a date but no cyclops) that looks pretty good so I may have to pick on up tomorrow with it being 11/11.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Thanks for the insight! Just found out they make an OP homage as well (though it has a date but no cyclops) that looks pretty good so I may have to pick on up tomorrow with it being 11/11.
Might be able to contact the seller to see if he can add one for you. I've seen him remove one for a customer so you never know.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Might be able to contact the seller to see if he can add one for you. I've seen him remove one for a customer so you never know.
I'm sure they could, they make a Datejust homage as well with the cyclops and Mercedes handset, but I would actually prefer no date at all on this one and have the symmetrical dial.

·
Registered
815 Posts

Wow. That feels like a noodge beyond homage, but they look great. What is the weight like? Does it feel cheap? I love the design, but if I was spending in that (Rolex) range, it wouldn’t be top of the list.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
663 Posts
Wow. That feels like a noodge beyond homage, but they look great. What is the weight like? Does it feel cheap? I love the design, but if I was spending in that (Rolex) range, it wouldn’t be top of the list.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Well that's why we have homages/clomages...lets us try out a style before spending the big bucks. I thought I was going to hate the submariner maxi case...but it's now one of my favs.

As for the weight, I don't have this model, but I have the Aqua Terra and speedmaster and both feel quality. Tight tolerances on their bracelets and end links make them feel nicer than other Ali x specials like Parnis, bliger, and pagani.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Parnis homage?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
337 Posts
Old thread on the Seiko mod route here if interested:

Someone else (years ago) on Reddit started with a different case, maybe the closest white one like to your original inspiration. No picture though.:
"Bought a Seiko SNKE49J1. Bought Milgauss hands from Yobokies. Bought a sapphire crystal (eBay). Bought a much nicer bracelet (Amazon). Put it all together."

Another thread:

Or there are several versions out there of the blue dial:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SeikoMods/comments/fmtqov

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
My thought would be to look at some of the Ball watches with tritium tubes. May not be a true "homage", but a semi-similar look is achieved with pretty solid build quality.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
As jprg24 suggested, Alexander James makes a Nilgauss v4.
If you're looking for the white dial, you can probably reach out to him to see if he can make you a custom mod.

·
Premium Member
40,679 Posts
Had one of the first gen Binnacle Anchors. Nice watch for the money.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts