WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife is in the market for a new watch. All the watches she has picked out are quartz. I'm trying to convince her to consider automatics. However she likes very thin watches, about 5mm, but I haven't had much luck finding any.

Can you suggest some watches?

Here's a list of the requirements:
- automatic movement
- 6mm or less in thickness
- white or light color dial
- Roman numerals
- rectangular case
- medium size
- under $12k

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, the quartz model is 7mm for a Tank Francaise, any idea what's the thickness for an auto?
for some reason an Auto Francaise in SS for ladies isn't stocked in the places I've been looking

I really like the ladies Tortue, but is seems only come in gold, which puts it over our budget

The Ballon model is also nice, but don't think she's looking for another round watch and it's also closer to 10mm

Look at Cartier. They should come close in terms of thickness. Also their smaller men's watches may also be considered.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I agree. Auto watches do look best on thin ladies.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
23,817 Posts
My wife is in the market for a new watch. All the watches she has picked out are quartz.[/QUOTE]
As long as she understands that she'd have to reset a mechanical after it's been sitting on the dresser for a week (auto or manual, doesn't matter), then you're on the right track. Emphasize that it will never suffer a dead battery, either.

For that matter, unless she's going to wear it all the time, consider manual-wind watches as well. They'll already be thinner thanks to not carrying the auto winding mechanism.

(I've got no idea what you've already considered, nor do I know how often your wife wears watches; mainly just going from my own wife's preferences :) )

·
Banned
6,316 Posts
My wife is in the market for a new watch. All the watches she has picked out are quartz. I'm trying to convince her to consider automatics. However she likes very thin watches, about 5mm, but I haven't had much luck finding any.

Can you suggest some watches?

Here's a list of the requirements:
- automatic movement
- 6mm or less in thickness
- white or light color dial
- Roman numerals
- rectangular case
- medium size
- under $12k
if she knows how to handle an auto there's plenty under $12k that are thin. i think zenith, jlc, cartier, movado might have some.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
thanks, the quartz model is 7mm for a Tank Francaise, any idea what's the thickness for an auto?
for some reason an Auto Francaise in SS for ladies isn't stocked in the places I've been looking

I really like the ladies Tortue, but is seems only come in gold, which puts it over our budget

The Ballon model is also nice, but don't think she's looking for another round watch and it's also closer to 10mm
They have a thin men's Tank Louis Cartier extra plate, only 5.5mm but it's a manual wind.

The automatic men's Tank Solo I've looked at are 7.7mm and 31mm wide. Not sure about the women's versions, but these are not too large and could be considered unisex.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
if she knows how to handle an auto there's plenty under $12k that are thin. i think zenith, jlc, cartier, movado might have some.
You would think so, I know I thought that before this thread. It sounds good in theory BUT try actually giving a specific recommendation that meets the 6mm or thinner requirement much less the rest of them. I realized what I think of as thin (in a men's watch) isn't remotely 6mm or below!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts