WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did one of the dumbest things ever yesterday. After a long day of working, I worked on my watch that I just got. Anyway the good part is that I found the machining to be *quite* good under 6x. Just not a flaw to be found and far far higher quality than I expected.

Bad part and incredibly stupid part is that I lost the crown wheel click post spring.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_RCqZ286PThI/S2y3Hm5OieI/AAAAAAAAATM/HrNg5jb9ua4/2416_assembly_3.jpg

Infinite thanks to Dave Murphy
https://www.watchuseek.com/f54/vostok-2416b-service-notes-240805.html

So can I acquire this or should I buy an old used vostok for the part...otherwise I will try to make it and heat treat a carbon steel wire to do the job but it will clearly not be as good if I can do it.

Thanks!

(I'm gonna pick up another in a few days...hopefully this can end up with two working Amphibias....)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
The same kind of spring disappeared on a Poljot movement I was trying to fiddle with, on the date wheel side. I guess I must have inhaled it or something since it never ever reappeared! On the other hand, such a spring disappearing immediately makes of any dumb movement a splendid collection of remaining two dozens spare parts.

Reactions: maxroach

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The same kind of spring disappeared on a Poljot movement I was trying to fiddle with, on the date wheel side. I guess I must have inhaled it or something since it never ever reappeared! On the other hand, such a spring disappearing immediately makes of any dumb movement a splendid collection of remaining two dozens spare parts.
I really had no conception of how easy it is to lose these parts they can fly with just a little drop or exhale of the breath...I'm ordering another of the same model soon but it won't officially be a parts backup until I at least try to make that spring, since it luckily is the easiest and probably only part of the watch that I *might* be able to make.

·
Registered
195 Posts
You should always be extremely careful while removing watch spring (but you already know that ;) ). They have incredible flying abilities, and are very hard to find once they're gone. I always remove them very slowly, and cover/hold them them while releasing the tension, so they're not able to fly away. Especially with the clutch spring I always use the following method: Put something (can be some large enough flat screwdriver) over the curved end of the spring and then slowly and carefully remove one of its ends from the slot by using a tweezers. When the tension is released you can easily grab the spring with the tweezers and put it somewhere safe.

Talking about this, last time when I was cleaning at home I found two springs, which I considered lost long ago, under my PC keyboard. And I was not searching for them at all. Guess that was a great luck. :)

G

·
That kind of spring doesn't need to be an original Vostok part. Any watchmaking shop will sell you generic ones for cheap.
Bergeon sell these as well (a set of x50 or 100, if my memory's right).

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, I know I'm not a watchmaker. I'm just learning how everything goes together.

A paperclip would be way too big, plus I don't know what metal....The size is smaller than 26 gauge wire.

I used steel which I hardened. But it's slipping I think because it's round and I'm not so interested in making springs so I'm ordering a set of a million proper click springs. They are quite cheap. Also if anyone knows whether or not they glue the dial now? I haven't spent much time on it but I certainly removed the two horizontal and opposed perimeter screws which didn't release anything...

So now this will be a work in progress...I'm much more relaxed now after getting everything (except the dial from the plate) apart and back together and am quite hopeful that I can get it back to stock...with a few years off of its lifespan for sure...also I lost one of the springs that I made. :-d

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
BTW this all happened because the crown release pin was screwed up....I think....and I investigated with tools.
I finally *think* I found the problem which was the piece near the dial that the smallest diameter section of the crown release pin slots into -- that section was misaligned and the pin wasn't seating properly. THAT may have happened because I unscrewed the surrounding screws too much to release the crwon one too many times. I hope that's it anyway...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts