WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys, I was discussing with a fellow member today why I am a bit turned off from buying Shanghai 7120 watches from Taobao. Short story, I was looking to buy a vintage peacock dial 7120 but I noticed the cases looked beat up like a real vintage but the dials looked clean. I found out you can buy the dials from sellers for all sorts of vintage Shanghai 7120 watches. I know this is wrong in vintage collector world but I thought I mite as well make myself a fresh Shanghai 7120 watch rather than buying a fake vintage version with a fake dial and worn out parts.

What at do you guys think , are these refurbished dials or fake dials?
if it's fake, what do you guys think?

Attachments

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
19,168 Posts
From what I have seen here on the forum, the vintage textured dials have the print applied over the contours of the texture, but the new Shanghai watches being sold with this kind of dial are more in the modern style, having flat areas beneath the text. The dials pictured here are the modern style, not vintage. They are not refurbished. But I don't think that it necessarily makes them "fake" as they seem to be used in watches sold through SWF's retailers. Mind you, there are certainly watches being sold with new dials in old cases.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Can't believe I missed this thread! I guess there must be slight differences across the stamps used for the dials right? Depending on how much wear/tear the stamp has seen and actual quality of the stamp.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts