WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a B5600MG-1JF and am disappointed that the battery meter is gone. I have noticed that several of newer solar Gs don't have that. Does it seem as though Casio is getting rid of it?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
what's B5600MG ? come on man, you have been here long enough NOT to miss the first 2 letters
is it the bluetooth square that connects to the phone? if it is, can you read the battery from the phone?
what newer solar G's don't have? please list

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
No crystal ball, unfortunately. CASIO giveth and CASIO taketh away. A lot of things have changed in 40 years. Things come and go, and come again.

I'd love to see a detailed Prius-style solar charging display, complete with Coulomb-Counter and power flows display. It would only take 4 characters on the display and three arrows.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what's B5600MG ? come on man, you have been here long enough NOT to miss the first 2 letters
is it the bluetooth square that connects to the phone? if it is, can you read the battery from the phone?
what newer solar G's don't have? please list
Cut and paste error: GW-B5600MG-1JF. Come to think of it, it might be just the bluetooth squares that are like that. Yeah, I can get it from the phone but it's an unnecessary extra step.

Attachments

·
Registered
175 Posts
Not only the on-screen charge level disappeared from the 3459/3461 modules (which are supposed to be the most advanced ones).

* The atomic calibration confirmation is also gone

* On G-Shocks with the much older 3159 module, you press the bottom right button and the watch will display the time and date of its last successful atomic time sync. Not so with an unpaired 3459/3461.

Moving backwards.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I'm fine with the battery lvl indicator gone, one less thing to be OCD about.

* The atomic calibration confirmation is also gone
Not gone but hidden. Press B, then instantly C+D, then C twice to see when it was last synced to multiband signal -- yes a PITA, but it's there. Also, you'll still get the "RCVD" indicator if you got a sync.

·
Registered
175 Posts

Not gone but hidden. Press B, then instantly C+D, then C twice to see when it was last synced to multiband signal -- yes a PITA, but it's there. Also, you'll still get the "RCVD" indicator if you got a sync.
Yes, I know you can use that button sequence.

With the larger GMW-B5000's buttons, it's hard to do it (at least for me is). With the smaller/typical size of the GW-B5600's buttons, it's almost impossible.

I agree, I don't need to see the battery level all the time either but it should be possible to easily check it, when needed. Like on my GWN-Q1000, which will display the battery's charge level by just pressing the mode button:

And this is important because when the power level drops to "L" some watch functions will be disabled. If your watch is not working properly, you may think there's something wrong with it, when the problem maybe a low battery. But on the BT watches, you'll never know, unless you connect the watch to your phone.

Options are good.

Good options are better.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Yes, I know you can use that button sequence.

With the larger GMW-B5000's buttons, it's hard to do it (at least for me is). With the smaller/typical size of the GW-B5600's buttons, it's almost impossible.

I agree, I don't need to see the battery level all the time either but it should be possible to easily check it, when needed. Like on my GWN-Q1000, which will display the battery's charge level by pressing the mode button:

View attachment 15920629 .

Options are good.

Good options are better.
Yes, many Casio ana-digi models have this "hidden" battery meter. My PAW-5000, PRW-S6000 and AQ-S800 have this method of showing the battery level. Something similar could easily have been implemented on the BT squares.

·
Registered
8,375 Posts
I recently bought a B5600MG-1JF and am disappointed that the battery meter is gone. I have noticed that several of newer solar Gs don't have that. Does it seem as though Casio is getting rid of it?
the gwb is a new model, it never had a meter. there hasnt been many all new solar digitals released but ones like the gbdh has a meter. as for analogs/anadigis, its always been hit and miss mostly due to aesthetics. new analogs like the grb100, mtgb1000, gsts330, gwrb1000, gstb200/300 all have it but the A frog doesnt.

so basically they cant get rid of something that was never there and if there are models still being released with it, its likely that theyll keep doing it.

·
Registered
407 Posts
With module 3459/3461 the user can discern the following battery states by looking at the watch:
  • High or Medium (Normal display)
  • Low ('Low' flashing)
  • Very Low (CHG flashing)
  • Dead (Blank screen)
With previous module 3149 the user can discern the following:
  • High
  • Medium
  • Low
  • Very Low
  • Dead
So the difference is you can discern only 4 states versus 5. High and Medium are joined, that is all. Not a big deal. And in return we get a much cleaner display, less ugly.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Those indicators for battery level and sync always seemed like extra clutter to me, can't say I've ever paid much attention to either of those. I prefer these as more hidden functions that can be accessed when needed, but they don't worry me enough to take up space on the dial.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Not sure what you mean. Does "RCVD" mean mean it was synced to the phone or the atomic clock?

·
Registered
5,877 Posts
It seems to be just on the Bluetooth models because you can check the app for it.

I think that is why I don't have any of the BT models in my collection now. i want to know the battery level but don't want to fish out my phone to do so. If I got to look at my phone to see things on my watch, I might as well get a Apple or Android watch

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
It seems to be just on the Bluetooth models because you can check the app for it.

I think that is why I don't have any of the BT models in my collection now. i want to know the battery level but don't want to fish out my phone to do so. If I got to look at my phone to see things on my watch, I might as well get a Apple or Android watch
My point exactly. I hate the notion that I need to use my phone to use my watch. If they keep pushing people to pair their watch and phone eventually some will wonder why they should bother with the watch.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
My point exactly. I hate the notion that I need to use my phone to use my watch.
You really, really don't need the app. As already mentioned, If your battery is between High and Medium, there is no indicator, once it's on low you get an indicator. BT is needed for the remind feature on the B5600/B5000, but I never need that.

So it's the same as earlier 5600 solar watches. Do you just not use bluetooth and let it find the time signal?
Yup!

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you synced your watch with your phone to setup world time, alarms, reminders etc and now you want to sync with Multi Band 6 ONLY, just follow this procedure:

(Sorry I can’t link the original post. I took this screenshot like a year ago. It was because of this that I felt comfortable getting the GW-B5600)

If you do that, the RCVD sign will now stand exclusively for a successful radio sync, unless you pair it with your phone again.

EDIT: I have now realised it’s the second post in which we‘ve discussed this matter, but no, unless you want to setup reminders or setup world time choosing a city name not saved in the memory, you don’t have to ever use your phone to use a 3459/3461 module. And even if you do use your phone for initial setup, you can just follow the procedure described above and go back to Multi Band 6.

Moreover, you can even disable all communications going further in the adjust menu, if what you want is for your watch to run on intrinsic quartz accuracy but at the same time you want some of the features exclusive to these modules, such as the DD.MM date format or the multi-language day of the week.

As for the battery level, even though I would rather have it on the LCD screen, we are just missing the H/M distinction. L, CHG and dead are still available, as described in an earlier comment. In the app there are seven levels, so if by any chance you pair it with your phone to add or delete a reminder or choose another time zone for world time, you can see a much more accurate display of the batter level than a 3159 module can. But then again, if you don’t ever use the app you are only just missing the difference between H and M.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Fratello Watches has an article on how to get "RCVD" back. Search g-shock mystery on the site. Worked for me. Much the same as post above but with fuller explanation.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts