WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live 2500 miles from my younger brother (about 2.5 years difference). We are both in our 50s. I had to go back to his hometown earlier this year. I went to meet him for dinner -- I was wearing my PAM 311 that I had purchased less than a year prior. Upon greeting him in the restaurant I saw he was wearing a new PAM-- not a 311 though... He told me he recently purchased. I have always liked watches but had never really discussed with him. I had previously worn a Breitling Aerospace for the previous 8 years. I know he never really mentioned an interest in watches... but now it seems he also has some interest... I guess we share 25% of the same DNA...

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
To respond to your subject (and, forgive me, if I'm not entirely sure if it was serious or tongue-in-cheek): My father and I have different taste in watches. My younger brother sits between me and my father in taste. My older brother has no interest but if I gave him a lineup he'd likely pick something that would put me between him and my younger brother.

We can almost certainly discount nature (genetics) in our design preference. On the other hand, I think there is a strong argument for nurture. I am almost sure that my father's watch (a gold rolex something-or-rather) is partly a reaction to what I will call the less than luxurious situation in which he grew up. I am slightly closer to my older brother in age and we shared parts of the late 80s and early 90s that my younger brother just missed. I think there is a profound influence on our later tastes stemming from the time and place and circumstance of our childhoods. Presumably, you and your brother grew up together and it doesn't much surprise that you would have similar preferences in some things.

Anyway, congratulations! It is neat to find a previously undiscovered commonality with a sibling. As we get older and geographically further apart my brothers and I have been making a concerted effort to become closer. To talk/e-mail/text more often. Hopefully I won't get blindsided by something like one brother's decision to get engaged ever again.

·
Registered
9,538 Posts
More about social environment than genetics..my mom liked Tag and she bought me Tag when I was like 10 yrs old..and as you all know it paved my path to this madness....

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well it was not meant to be entirely serious..To me it was just somewhat of a surprise. My brother and I are quite different. I think there are genetic (nature) influences to likes and dislikes but obviously nurture has some role too

To respond to your subject (and, forgive me, if I'm not entirely sure if it was serious or tongue-in-cheek): My father and I have different taste in watches. My younger brother sits between me and my father in taste. My older brother has no interest but if I gave him a lineup he'd likely pick something that would put me between him and my younger brother.

We can almost certainly discount nature (genetics) in our design preference. On the other hand, I think there is a strong argument for nurture. I am almost sure that my father's watch (a gold rolex something-or-rather) is partly a reaction to what I will call the less than luxurious situation in which he grew up. I am slightly closer to my older brother in age and we shared parts of the late 80s and early 90s that my younger brother just missed. I think there is a profound influence on our later tastes stemming from the time and place and circumstance of our childhoods. Presumably, you and your brother grew up together and it doesn't much surprise that you would have similar preferences in some things.

Anyway, congratulations! It is neat to find a previously undiscovered commonality with a sibling. As we get older and geographically further apart my brothers and I have been making a concerted effort to become closer. To talk/e-mail/text more often. Hopefully I won't get blindsided by something like one brother's decision to get engaged ever again.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Not unless it's a recessive gene! My dad and I share no similarities in watch preferences. He's way more into conservative dress style watches. My grandpa and I think alike however =)

And note we're all WIS so it has nothing to do with one of us not being into watches....it really is just differences in taste.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Mostly social values you both grew up with.

The rest is statistics. I'd say you both possess >100 noticeable object. If it hadn't been the same watch, it would have been the same pen/suit/shoes/car/bike/cuff links/etc. Choosing one of a hundred things similarly becomes less spectacular when you look at it that way.. (sorry for being so boringly rational about this!).

But in fact it IS pretty cool that it was the watch and not something else! :eek:)

·
Registered
20,990 Posts
My brother and I have pretty different tastes. We like some of the same brands, but we usually like different models. He also loves Romain Jerome and Hublot.

·
Premium Member
64,962 Posts
No. All the rest of my family think that a watch is something to put on when you're getting ready to go out somewhere fancy. My daughters don't even have that problem since they never wear a watch.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My brother is five years older than me. we ignored each other handily for ten years, since we were teenagers, until I was forced to interact with him when our grandfather died. initially we noticed when we first spoke again we were wearing the same Luminox 1800 series watch (different dial color). more stuff came out later - same brand and style pocket knife. same cell phone (for similar reasons when we discussed it), there were other things I don't recall as much, it was a year ago.

just thought I'd offer a different perspective since I happen to want as few similarities to him as possible and yet have noticed a few.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well that is interesting... :) To be honest, i am a human geneticist and my sister is a psychologist and we commonly debate nature vs nurture. I used to think it was 98% nature and 2% nurture. However over the years I had gained more respect for the nurture component.. However with new research there is a lot of new information on what is referred to as "epigenetics"-- non-heritable genetic factors -- which could explain how nurture influences inherited predispositions to specific traits. Therefore in my opinion there is a biological basis for influences brought about through nurture.

My brother works about half the hours i do and is financially better off than me.. He likes playing golf and nice cars... neither of which interest me... I even tried to take golf lessons some years ago to see if i would like it...

My brother is five years older than me. we ignored each other handily for ten years, since we were teenagers, until I was forced to interact with him when our grandfather died. initially we noticed when we first spoke again we were wearing the same Luminox 1800 series watch (different dial color). more stuff came out later - same brand and style pocket knife. same cell phone (for similar reasons when we discussed it), there were other things I don't recall as much, it was a year ago.

just thought I'd offer a different perspective since I happen to want as few similarities to him as possible and yet have noticed a few.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Nope.
in fact nobody ever cared for a watch per se, I'm the first one in the family to own a nice watch.
as of now i'm not the only one with a nice watch, but still nobody cares for them...lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts