WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I would like to become a watchmaker. But I can barely afford the 2 years course fee for the WOSTEP 3000hr program. Since I don't know much about the world of watchmaking, can I get some advice? Should I worry about my employability? Is part time working possible during the learning period? How hard/easy is it to start working for a new watchmaker? Thanks in advance!

-Loshitha-

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not really. Do watchmakers have to deal with the public? I thought they spend all day on the bench without much human interaction, which is also a reason for me to like it.

·
Moderator Emeritus
54,367 Posts
Why not het the necessary information right from the source ? Contact a watchmaker school and you are in the know.
The school for watchmakers usually is a three-year full-time education in watchmaking. The bandwidth of the training in workshops and theory ranges from the maintenance and repair of mechanical watches, the restoration of old watches including the making of spare parts and their computer-aided reconstruction as well as solid knowledge of the latest quartz and radio technology.

·
Registered
40,962 Posts
If you have your own shop you do. "Why is it taking so loong and why is it costing soo muuch?"
Not really. Do watchmakers have to deal with the public? I thought they spend all day on the bench without much human interaction, which is also a reason for me to like it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! I have actually contacted few watchmaking schools regarding this matter. But non of them reply with relevant information unfortunately.

Why not het the necessary information right from the source ? Contact a watchmaker school and you are in the know.
The school for watchmakers usually is a three-year full-time education in watchmaking. The bandwidth of the training in workshops and theory ranges from the maintenance and repair of mechanical watches, the restoration of old watches including the making of spare parts and their computer-aided reconstruction as well as solid knowledge of the latest quartz and radio technology.

·
Moderator Emeritus
54,367 Posts
Thanks! I have actually contacted few watchmaking schools regarding this matter. But non of them reply with relevant information unfortunately.
This I can‘t believe. Even the web sites the watchmaker schools are running are packed with information.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This I can‘t believe. Even the web sites the watchmaker schools are running are packed with information.
With due respect, Mike, if you are a watchmaker can you tell me whether it is easy to get a job for a new watchmaker as in your opinion? Thanks in advance!

·
Moderator Emeritus
54,367 Posts
With due respect, Mike, if you are a watchmaker can you tell me whether it is easy to get a job for a new watchmaker as in your opinion? Thanks in advance!
During the Inhorgenta I met up with reps of watchmaking schools in Hamburg, Pforzheim, Villingen-Schwenningen, Glashütte. It‘s easy for a watchmaker to get a job if his graduation certificate is top. With the WOSTEP 3000 program all doors will be wide open. However, WOSTEP isn‘t like a summer stroll. It’s hard, demanding, intensive and requires a lot of skills.

Btw: Starting a watchmaker career with the help of a watch forum is no good start, imho. Homework, homework, homework and self-instruction would be in place here.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
During the Inhorgenta I met up with reps of watchmaking schools in Hamburg, Pforzheim, Villingen-Schwenningen, Glashütte. It‘s easy for a watchmaker to get a job if his graduation certificate is top. With the WOSTEP 3000 program all doors will be wide open. However, WOSTEP isn‘t like a summer stroll. It’s hard, demanding, intensive and requires a lot of skills.
Thank you very much!

·
Registered
76 Posts
As someone who went to a "Trade school" (Culinary Arts, Culinary Institute of America)... I would caution you to talk to people working in the industry, new and old. Schools are interested in you as a new student, not necessarily if the career is a good fit for you. Will you be able to support your family/yourself? Will you be married to big cities? Will you have a career path? What are the time commitments? What is the time/learning curve to become successful?

Not trying to dissuade you, but you need to go in with your eyes open.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts