WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder if WTB posts are even visited or read. Before posting a WTB for a Helson Shark Diver earlier this week, I decided to check previous posts and found a few posts with the same desire. I approached some of these posters and asked how much reaction they received, just to have an impression what to expect. The answers were unanimous, and quite surprising: 0... zero... zilch... no reaction whatsoever...! Now I must admit that I never visit the WTB subforum, but then again, I have never posted a watch for sale... so why would I. But it does make me wonder if that subforum is useful. So I posted my WTB-post earlier this week, and I was (thankfully) prepared for the underwelming reactions... zero. This may of course be coincidence, but I must say that comparing the WTB with the WTS section, I have seen several watches posted in the "for sale" section, while that same watch is being "WTB-ed" ... Doesn't mean that the seller hasn't approached WTB posters, but I have this suspicion that it is not common. Which makes me wonder if it is even worth posting in the WTB subforum.
I'm curious about reactions... Does the WTB actually have value? Am I being to sceptical?

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
40,679 Posts
I have bought two watches that came from posters reading my WTBs and contacting me.

Before I list a watch for sale I also flick through the last few weeks of WTBs to see if there are any matches from members with good feedback here.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I started to look at them when I wanted to sell a few watches and found one post on point. I PM'd the person and sold him the watch at a very attractive price for him since I had bought it at a very attractive price. We were both happy.

In the process of looking at the WTB posts, I also noticed that they sometimes match up almost exactly with a contemporaneous FS post - yet it seems like the would be buyer and would be seller don't see each other's posts.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
I’ve had responses to a couple of the Want To Buy’s that I’ve posted and no responses at all to a couple of others.
I’d say that they are read but it’s very much luck of the draw; right watch, right seller at the right time.

·
Premium Member
3,560 Posts
Mine have all been read and responded to. However I did report a scammer from 1 response, someone 'wanting to pay extra via wire, as long as I "shipped the piece first"' :D

Aside from that one instance, people have responded with pieces and deals have been flawless. You may want to post a reference pic, sometimes the reference number isn't enough when some people are at work and minds are otherwise in a fog.

Reactions: marcoscova

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
When I go to sell or buy, I use the "Search Forum" function for make and model, and in that particular forum, everything comes up, whether For Sale, WTT, or WTB. If there was ever someone who WTB for anything I was selling (trading -- not quite at 3mos yet...), I'd be sure to get in touch with them. Certainly I've had responses for stuff I've posted WTT...

·
Vendor
27,727 Posts
Look at it this way - it can't hurt to post a WTB thread. If I'm selling that watch next week, maybe I'll look there first, maybe not, but if I do, you stand to gain, and if I don't, you're no worse off.

It's all upside.

Tapatalk now available over the counter in prescription strength. Claims of increased male virility not assessed by the FDA.

·
Registered
8,749 Posts
I once responded to a WTB ad for a watch that has been out of production for sometime and almost never comes up for sale. I like the watch enough to not make a sales ad however for the right money I might part with it. The person offered me about $150-$200 less then what I could likely get if I actually put the watch up for sale.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great feedback guys. Thanks! Overall I guess worth posting there even if the odds may not necessarily be in your favor (generally). I agree with posting a pic. Might indeed help, so I'll do that.
Thanks for the responses!

·
Premium Member
2,915 Posts
As a seller I've contacted WTB posters several times, but they always weren't willing to pay the price I could get if I just listed the watch for sale. Want to buy does not necessarily equate to willing to pay the market price in my experience.

After that I stopped checking the WTBs and just list the piece for sale straightaway.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
71,446 Posts
When you’re as weak-willed as me the WTB forum is best avoided in case it gives me ideas. It’s well worth posting there but I do believe that you have to keep an eye open for scam artists.

·
Vendor
27,727 Posts
I always see them as I make sure to do some price research here before deciding what to sell for. Search the name and model ... any WTB will come up too.
Yep. I hadn't thought of this, but it's true. When I look at WatchRecon, it often pulls up WTB threads. And I figure I'd always look at WatchRecon before posting a FS thread, as part of determining my asking price.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
...Want to buy does not necessarily equate to willing to pay the market price in my experience.
...I stopped checking the WTBs and just list the piece for sale straightaway.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Explains alot. Thanks

·
Registered
853 Posts
I've had mixed luck with WTB posts. It's hit-or-miss. I've bought 2-3 items over time with such posts, but I usually first just search WatchRecon, as it spiders all the main sites anyway.

If my WTB isn't on WR, I may try a WTB post. A couple of times, I had a bite, then the seller went silent or had a very smelly response and used stock photos.

So it's worth it if you can't find it elsewhere......or just get a drink and the need to spend money will pass.

Skip

·
Premium Member
7,000 Posts
I always see them as I make sure to do some price research here before deciding what to sell for. Search the name and model ... any WTB will come up too.
This is my experience as well.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
I've received responses on all but two of mine. About to create another as the Deep Blue I want is sold out and Stan is making no more. I'm sure I'll pay a premium.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
I sold a couple to WTB ads. Yes, they are read.

Reactions: marcoscova
1 - 20 of 29 Posts