WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Are you a WIS?

• I honourable declare I am (WIS-head)

Votes: 28 49.1%
  • Never will I (non-WIS)

Votes: 9 15.8%
  • Dont know and will not want to know (Neutralised)

Votes: 20 35.1%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
I love my watch but I am not half as crazy about them as most the people on here are, although I would like to have another nice watch (speedy) someday.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Are you a WIS?
If you dont know, read the link below.
If you know, take part in our poll.

I DECLARE I AM. |> |> |>

http://www.timezone.com/library/archives/archives0058
in my opinion, WIS is basically a term of endearment between watch collectors and a term of derision when used by non-watch collectors.

much as i like my watches, i couldn't sign up to the TZ definition. i can only assume it's meant in good taste.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
That link is really funny.

Although I only own one high end Swiss watch (and a Swatch!), I'm more of an admirer than a full blown WIS. Just because I spend so much time on the forums doesn't automatically qualify me as a WIS.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well after going 25 years without owning a high quality timepiece, I received an 18k TAG (WJF1152.BB0579) as a graduation gift. I spent the following two weeks in indepth research which led me to the purchase of a new aqua terra (2502.80) and a whole new perception of watches thanks to this forum, TZ, and CC. I am now finding it hard to resist the temptation of a second Omega and third timepiece (SMP) since the Hour Vision and Zenith Defy remian out of budget for the TIME being.

If two watches in two weeks and consideration of a third in one month isn't considered a WIS, I don't know what is! The worst thing is I haven't even had time to enjoy my first watch, let alone the second.. and there's nothing anyone can do to stop me! :rodekaart

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I always quote Terry Pratchett in these cases, taken from one of the brilliant Discworld novels Small Gods.

"You're not one of us."
"I don't think I'm one of them, either," said Brutha. "I'm one of mine."

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Once a WIS, always a WIS. :-x

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Well after reading the reference you gave I guess I could be one because my watches are worth more than my car, but on the other hand I would notice Cindy Crawfords chest before I would notice her watch, so maybe I'm not a WIS. I am from WIS. so maybe this makes me a WIS.
Are you a WIS?
If you dont know, read the link below.
If you know, take part in our poll.

I DECLARE I AM. |> |> |>

http://www.timezone.com/library/archives/archives0058

·
Registered
434 Posts
I honorably declare that I am a WIS. No doubt about it, as sure as grass is green and the sky is blue. I just love these marvelous mechanical masterpieces;-):-!:-d

Best WIShes
Bob:thanks

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I answered I am not a WIS. So far I have 3 Omegas, and I have had clear reason to buy them three.

1.Vintage Speedmaster : This is just must. I love it, because of its beauty,history and age.
2.Speedmaster : For daily use, I love speedmasters, so had to buy everyday Speedy.
3.Vintage SM300 : For daily use, no need to wind, so this is hopefully my most wrist time piece.

However, If I ever buy 4th watch, I admit I am WIS. Nuts. But I am not going to.

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
Definitely a WIS - four times over. There was a article written a couple of years ago either in Watch Time or Robb Report that referenced the 4 W's of manhood - Watches, Women, Wine, and Wheels. For me the "W" in WIS is interchangeable and the aforementioned is definitely in order of priority and importance.

·
Registered
663 Posts
The link is funny, but c'mon. We all like our watches, but how many people will fit that definition?

I'll leave the term, idiot savant, to the Rainman brothers of the world.

·
Registered
563 Posts
If you mean the acronym WIS to mean "watch idiot savant", than no as I have always felt the term a bit derogatory.

If I needed to clarify my watch collecting in terms of a WIS, I would prefer to say I am a " watch intellectual savant".;-)

I love watches but enjoy many other interests so I don't believe I qualify for the traditional term as it has been used. Just an avid admirer of horology particularly that on my wrist!

Cheers,
David

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
WIS? Well, I am part way there...

I think I qualify as an idiot who owns some nice watches...not so sure about the savant part, which I guess means,...am not, yes?

Yep, I got the idiot part nailed down. Ask anyone who knows me, they'll tell you: "He is card-carrying..."

I have not asked if the other idiots accept me as one of their own; but, I am always suspicious of any club that would have me as a member.

DJ

1 - 20 of 21 Posts