WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
o|I'm almost at my wits end in trying to resize my Sumo!!! Pin and collar system is a sadist's invention. I will try again tonight but after that I may go to a jeweler. Thanks for everyone's help but it so far the task seems to be beyond my level of competence.o|

·
Registered
13 Posts
It is a somewhat annoying system, but I managed to resize a new Black Monster fairly quickly and only lost one collar. I found (too late for that first collar, of course) that pushing the pin out and then disassembling the link over a box was the way to go. Re-inserting wasn't too bad - I used the edge of our granite countertop to apply pressure on the collar until it "bit" into the pin, then countersunk it the rest of the way with a narrow awl tip. So far it seems like my surgery is a success - pin heads and collars are lined up just as they are in the untouched links.

Side note - although I don't have too many watches, I do have another titatnium bracelet GShock w/this setup so I knew what to expect, to some degree. That one is a little easier to manage though, as its collar inserts into the inside of the outer link, which has a little recess to hold it in (rather than the outside w/nothing to keep the little bugger from sliding out).

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Pin and collars can be a pain, but I recall a statement and great pieces of advice by our moderator (Isthmus):

(1) If used properly, the pin and collar system is actually the most secure way to hold bracelet links together; and

(2) Putting a strong magnet on a string and dragging it around your work area is a great way to pick up "lost" pins and collars.

Flipangle, I do commend you for trying this yourself, but don't hesitate to go to a jeweler if the frustration level is too high. It is not worth risking damage to a fine watch like a Sumo.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will try again this weekend. Then off to a jeweler. The only problem is that I'm afraid they will mess up. I've heard several horror stories. At least when I mess up, hopefully I'll be careful enough to realize it. I'm extra careful. I'm not sure that they would be extra careful. There is a lady at Macy's that I've recently bought 2 watches from. Maybe she'll resize it for me as a favor. She did a great job on my Ska367. I presume it has a pin and collar system too. Anyone know for sure?
Pin and collars can be a pain, but I recall a statement and great pieces of advice by our moderator (Isthmus):

(1) If used properly, the pin and collar system is actually the most secure way to hold bracelet links together; and

(2) Putting a strong magnet on a string and dragging it around your work area is a great way to pick up "lost" pins and collars.

Flipangle, I do commend you for trying this yourself, but don't hesitate to go to a jeweler if the frustration level is too high. It is not worth risking damage to a fine watch like a Sumo.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I hope you have the right tools for the job? Have you read the bracelet sizing guide on PMWF?

Getting a set of basic watch tools from the bay may set you back $10-15 but will save you loads more (time and money) if you need to keep going back to the shop for re-sizing.

Make sure you have an open, clean space to work on. I actually find a darker surface easier to work on as the metallic pieces will stand out as oppose to a light coloured surface. Collars are not so much a problem. Its the spring bars that might jump up and away into some dark corner :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts