WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Terrible news... While fishing my Tutima 750 Nato chrono (Lemania 5100) out of my pocket yesterday, I fumbled and dropped it from about 3.5 feet onto hard, cold tile. :oops: :-|

The titanium case picked up a few small nicks, which I'm not worried about. No damage to the crystal, bezel, or bracelet. But the worst part is that the watch has stopped running. I had just manually wound to watch to a full wind before I dropped it, and it's now dead silent, no ticks, no movement.

So I need to drop it off for inspection and repair. I am planning to take it to an independent retail/repair shop, as contacting Tutima in my country of residence may be a bit difficult. Does anyone here have any similar experiences or suggestions? :-s How much should I expect such a service to cost? :-s The watch was recently serviced in October by Tutima USA by the previous owner, but I suppose that's a moot point now. By the way, I am located in Tokyo, Japan.

Much thanks, Joe

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Oh man, that's a bummer. Why was it in your pocket?

I don't know what to expect from the service, but let us know how it goes, and what was wrong with it.

Good luck!
Daniel

·
Registered
455 Posts
Try something first man. START THE CHRONO. This in some cases fixes the problem with chronos that have stopped. Try it and let me know how it goes.
I have the same watch and have banged the hell out of it, never had a problem (though I have never dropped it 3.5 feet on tile...)

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Afaik, Hellmut Sinn had a lot of customers in Japan. Maybe a Sinn service in your country can help you with your 5100.

louis

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reads. I've dropped it off at a local specialty shop that is an AD for several brands, including Sinn and B&R, who will send it our for repair. I'll update the board when I find out more, though it will probably take a few weeks.

Regards, Joe

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update on my busted Lemania 5100 Tutima NATO...

The shop called me to say that the watch needs an overhaul, that will cost ~$350 USD and take 3 months. I wasn't able to ask what an "overhaul" means exactly -- my Japanese is unfortunately no better than elementary -- but let's assume that it means a full service -- which is a shame since it was recently serviced by the previous owner before I purchased it.

This being the case, is $350 USD a reasonable price for servicing a Lemania 5100? :-s Would I be better off sending it off to Tutima USA or Tutima Germany for the work? :think: I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Much thanks, Joe

·
Registered
25 Posts

The shop called me to say that the watch needs an overhaul, that will cost ~$350 USD and take 3 months. I wasn't able to ask what an "overhaul" means exactly -- my Japanese is unfortunately no better than elementary -- but let's assume that it means a full service -- which is a shame since it was recently serviced by the previous owner before I purchased it.

This being the case, is $350 USD a reasonable price for servicing a Lemania 5100? :-s Would I be better off sending it off to Tutima USA or Tutima Germany for the work? :think: I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Much thanks, Joe
Hey Joe, (yes Jimmy;-))
350$ seems to be reasonnable for a full service, which consist in changing all defect parts, cleaning, oiling... If you think to send it to Europe, it'll cost you the same number, but in euros, (so 30% +!!)
3 month is the time it takes to find a good watchmaker nowadays :oops:

Perhaps ask in another watchmaker (traditionnal one) if you want quick service, as 5100 is a very classic mouvement; but the most important is not quick, it's "GOOD"
Good luck
eric

·
Registered
4,765 Posts

Much thanks, Joe
If you are sure, that it has been serviced before, you should find someone, who does only the needed repair !
louis

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Terrible news... While fishing my Tutima 750 Nato chrono (Lemania 5100) out of my pocket yesterday, I fumbled and dropped it from about 3.5 feet onto hard, cold tile. :oops: :-|

I know EXACTLY how you feel - dropped my Titanium Sinn 103 UTC in almost the same circumstances after only a month of wrist wear, with the same surprising result! My Fortis has been dropped, banged, clanked, wanged and abused for four years without a problem, but the 'shockproof' Sinn may as well have been run over by a bus! It is presently with the the boys in Germany ( we have the technology, we have the power....) and there's a large bill headed my way.

I posted my concerns on the TZ forum at the time and lots of interesting stuff came back about g forces etc.. one guy had worked it all out - the g due to a fall from 3 ft to a hard tiled floor - came in at over 3000 I think! You might find that interesting - search under 'shock proof Sinn' - should come up with the threads if you're interested.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for all of your comments -- and whifferdill, thanks for commiserating. :thanks I've asked them to go ahead with the service, and I'll post an update when I get it back.

Best,
Joe

1 - 11 of 11 Posts