WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I currently have an Armida A7 brass green dial (which I love- except for the super sharp crown that digs into my wrist). I've always admired the A1 bronze as well, and I'm on the fence about purchasing one.

There are obvious differences between the two watches. The A1 is chunkier, with a more aggressive bezel. The A1 has the sweet super dome crystal, versus the A7's flat crystal. I've seen some very nice patinas on both the A1 and the A7, but for me, the A1 bronze seems to win out in terms of richness of patina. And the A1 currently has the Miyota 9015, versus the Seiko NH35a movement. Oh, and the A1 has the crown at 4, versus A7 at 3 (sweet, sweet relief for my wrist).

When I showed my wife a pic of the A1, she said "that looks just like the other watch you just bought (the A7)". Now, she's not a WIS, but her comment did get my brain juices flowing ...

So here's a few questions for anyone who owns both:

1) In your opinion, is the A1 bronze worth $650 more than the A7 brass? Are they that different in terms of quality? Or is it just a matter of inflated bronze prices?

2) From pics, they appear to be in the same aesthetic ballpark, but are they that different on the wrist, and in the flesh?

Thanks for any input guys. I know there may not be an absolute answer here- I'm just looking for your seasoned opinions on comparing these two watches.

Pics of my A7 with the ceramic bezel (haven't been able to pry the ceramic bezel off to switch it with the solid brass bezel):

photo1_cropped.jpg

photo2_cropped.jpg

Borrowed pic of dougiedude's lusciously-patinated brass-bezel A7 (looks more like the A1):

dougiedude_2.jpg

A1 from Armida site:

armida_a1.JPG

·
Registered
640 Posts
To be honest the Dome on the A 1 is awesome!!! That and the bezel makes owning the A 1 worth it to me. I had the original one that came with an ETA movement. Yes it is heavy, but it sits on your wrist just fine due to the way the lugs are spaced. I loved it! I think that the A 1, gives off a much more aggressive look than the A 7 with the Dome, Dot dial and Bezel.

SamSung Phone Photos 107.jpg SamSung Phone Photos 110.jpg SamSung Phone Photos 112.jpg SamSung Phone Photos 111.jpg

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for sharing Time Collector! Your A1 looks amazing (nice patina!), and I agree that the bezel on the A1 is much more aggressive than the A7. And the super dome definitely adds interest to the dial.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Hey Burrito,
I understand he question completely and although I can't answer exactly as I have an A8, not the 7, I think it's close.
My A1 has the ETA and I had a custom strap made for it and other than my SMP, Charles Bronzeson is my favorite watch.
I actually bought the A8 as a beater option (a fun beater option) for my A1.
I'm a habitual flipper, but the A1 Bronzeson has managed to stay in the stable for a year and a half and it's not going anywhere anytime soon.
I love it.
$650.00 more? I don't know, but I'll simply say I'd part with the 8 but not the 1.
Even with the 9015 (have one in my Helson Blackbeard) I think it'd be worth it, but that's your call.
here's a couple of older comparo pics….
Best regards,
Chris

Reactions: Time Collector

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the comments Chris. I've admired your Charles Bronzeson on many a WRUW thread and various bronze threads.

It looks like the lume between the A1/A8 match up favorably.

The A7/A8 are likeable, nice watches (especially for the price), but it seems that the A1 bronze is a piece that really triggers emotion and passion in its owners. And in a way, maybe you can't put a price on that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts