WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this just now so I apologize if it's old news.

I know pretty much every other watch company rips off the other and all, but I'm feeling some kind of way about this (as an obvious jack of a Casio design). But should I be? I was getting ready to give Armitron a fresh start and possibly get one of their retro pieces but I saw this... not sure if I'm making a mountain out of a molehill but hard stop for me atm.

Big deal or nah?

·
Registered
Just one more TX Timex Enabler Club - Broths Hams n Subs
11,670 Posts
Another plagiarized design.... just think of it as a very affordable homage. Some folks don't care.. some do. I am with the originals are best.. so to me.. it is a pass.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
yeah, before I get ready to shop for watches starting at $13 I want to get all philosophical on whether or not its a unique design that nobody else has tried before.

·
Premium Member
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For a yard beater, for $13, why not
Yeah no. That watch is $35. But to 1st world people of means, same diff I guess. If a yard beater is what you want theres plenty out there for $35 that doesn't look EXACTLY like a Protrek. But if you "needed" your $35 watch to look like one then you're in luck.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Yeah no. That watch is $35. But to 1st world people of means, same diff I guess. If a yard beater is what you want theres plenty out there for $35 that doesn't look EXACTLY like a Protrek. But if you "needed" your $35 watch to look like one then you're in luck.
My apologies that I offended you.

The IG post indicated $13, making me believe the pro-sport is $13. Any $13 watch is good to beat the snot out of. A $35 protrek look a like is just annoying as some of the lower protrek models can be had for $40-50

·
Premium Member
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My apologies that I offended you.

The IG post indicated $13, making me believe the pro-sport is $13. Any $13 watch is good to beat the snot out of. A $35 protrek look a like is just annoying as some of the lower protrek models can be had for $40-50
No my man, you didn't offend me at all, my bad if I seemed annoyed. I think the IG post meant that the Sport collection starts at $13 (they've been discounting heavily to no one's surprise). You bring up a good point because that IG post (with a $13 mention) is kind of misleading given the picture though.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
No my man, you didn't offend me at all, my bad if I seemed annoyed. I think the IG post meant that the Sport collection starts at $13 (they've been discounting heavily to no one's surprise). You bring up a good point because that IG post (with a $13 mention) is kind of misleading given the picture though.
Marketing 101, show an upmarket/kitted item but advertise the basic/entry level price.

·
Premium Member
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's not ABC watch and for 35$ you can get real Timex or real Casio.
Both are originals...
Yeah exactly. I have some hang up with companies that do this. Now the sub "homages" have been done to death, even by the likes of Bulova and Timex since forever, so for that reason I'm ok with giving those guys a pass. (But I understand if others don't agree there)

But for example, when Invicta blatantly ripped off the Seiko Monster design, which is iconically Seiko and was still available at the time for < $200 from Amazon, that kind of killed any respect I had for Invicta at the time. They're doing their thing, good for them, but it left a bad taste in my mouth.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts