WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thing is really really seriously intensely.....BLUE !!!!!! Its big, its wierd, its funny looking, and did I mention......its BLUE !!!!!!

So basically.......I dig it

Attachments

·
Registered
472 Posts
This thing is really really seriously intensely.....BLUE !!!!!! Its big, its wierd, its funny looking, and did I mention......its BLUE !!!!!!

So basically.......I dig it
Cool! Is the blue on the watch painted on? I really like the watch but I'd worry about the coloring rubbing off over time. Do you think this would happen with this one?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its painted on, I have no idea how it is going to wear, time will tell I guess.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Its painted on, I have no idea how it is going to wear, time will tell I guess.
Gawain thought the colour was embedded into the resin, rather than sprayed on top. My dad used to work colouring resins and rubbers, and embedding the colour seems most likely. I'd suspect you couldn't really spray onto a flexible rubber band and not expect it to peel away in short time.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
I've seen lots of resin based articles dyed that looked fantastic! You can use regular RIT clothes dye that you buy at the grocery store. It will actually completely color the resin.....all the way through. I've seen Black turned Red and Blue and Green....it's pretty cool and only takes about 30 minutes from start to finish.
Regards Sonny

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Heres the white:

Are these white ones still available?
I think I asked Higuchi about them a while back and I think he said they weren't.

I think the white model looks much better than the black model, although I' disappointed they didn't put a tide/moon graph on these ones.

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
Gawain thought the colour was embedded into the resin, rather than sprayed on top. My dad used to work colouring resins and rubbers, and embedding the colour seems most likely. I'd suspect you couldn't really spray onto a flexible rubber band and not expect it to peel away in short time.
I think G-Shocks of different eras employ different techniques. There are definitely some that have a painted finish which can (and does) flake off. Others have a patent layer that could separate over time. The only ones that I would trust to last as long as plain resin are the ones with a matt finish.

·
Registered
13,279 Posts
Are these white ones still available?
I think I asked Higuchi about them a while back and I think he said they weren't.
There was one in the watch section of my local supermarket last week.

Also saw one the other day on YA being bid on at a ridiculous price for some strange reason.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
There was one in the watch section of my local supermarket last week.

Also saw one the other day on YA being bid on at a ridiculous price for some strange reason.
Lol...you have supermarkets there that sell limited run Casios?!? :-d

Our supermarkets are far more boring. :-(

Poor Japan...got killed by Oz in the Rugby World Cup over night. :-x

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Bluegum, it seems I was in error. It looked to me as though the color ran all the way through the band... but without x-ray eyes there is no way I could know.

-Gawain

·
Registered
1,835 Posts

·
Registered
13,279 Posts
Lol...you have supermarkets there that sell limited run Casios?!? :-d

They're selling them full retail price yet some people are buying them over the internet for more. I don't understand it. Maybe they're in the middle of nowhere without a supermarket. :think:

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
They're selling them full retail price yet some people are buying them over the internet for more. I don't understand it. Maybe they're in the middle of nowhere without a supermarket. :think:
People like to pay more...

...it makes them feel like they're 'giving back'. ;-)

·
Registered
764 Posts
I had a chance to buy a blue Gulfman but refused it because I just couldn't see myself wearing one.
Now I have changed my mind and will be looking for a blue version to add to the collection.
I am still waiting for my black Gulfman to arrive from the U.S cant wait!!b-)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts