WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any gurus can show how to remove a scratch:oops: from the polished shiny surface? Or live with it?o|

·
Banned
5,850 Posts
I bought a can of Mothers Mag Polish. Highly recommended from some folks, but I have not tried it yet. If you run a search here you can find more details.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I use Autosol. Really effective in removing scratches from high gloss shiny surfaces. It's really abrasive and not too suitable for brushed finishes.

Used it on my titanium watch with fairly good results too!

I bought a can of Mothers Mag Polish. Highly recommended from some folks, but I have not tried it yet. If you run a search here you can find more details.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
You'll get used to the scratches eventually. However if you want to have a go at it, the Mothers John rec is really good stuff.

I've used cape cod and it does work well.....but Mothers is better, easier to apply, less messy, and way easier to clean off of your hands. Cape cod leaves micro scratches visible to the unclothed eye. Mothers is loupe terrific if your really ocd like me :)

important: Just remember this is for polished surfaces only and use the best microfiber cloth you can find rotating often to a clean section of the cloth. The best micro I found is called "ZWIPES"

ie: I've posted this before:

before:

after:

·
Registered
60 Posts
what about for dull/satin finishes on bracelets?

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Hey krazy. You can use a green scotch-brite pad for brushed finishes. For more of a satin look to the brushed finished I use the Mothers after I brush it very lightly with no pressure (don't want to remove the brush marks here) to give it a shine.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Any gurus can show how to remove a scratch:oops: from the polished shiny surface? Or live with it?o|
Certainly not any kind of guru but I've had very good result on mirror-finish stainless using a small felt pad in a Dremel with little dabs of Simicrome polish. You have to be careful not to overheat the metal and that's easy to do. For brushed finish, also stainless, I use a nylon brush from TZ tool shop. They come in at least two sizes. But my results haven't been any better than those shown by JBdan on that scuffed up bracelet in this thread. About the same actually, but I'm lazy, so I like the Dremel! I forgot to say that if you're using the Dremel, it's a good idea to cover neighboring brushed or crystal surfaces with cut-to-size masking tape.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Can the pad be used for brushed titanium surfaces?

Hey krazy. You can use a green scotch-brite pad for brushed finishes. For more of a satin look to the brushed finished I use the Mothers after I brush it very lightly with no pressure (don't want to remove the brush marks here) to give it a shine.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to all......

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Can the pad be used for brushed titanium surfaces?
Yes it sure can. Just be sure to test an area first so you know what you will be getting. Test it on an unused link or an old junk watch if you have. gl!

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
+1 That Mothers stuff + microfiber cloth did THAT??? Just with elbow grease?
no tools?
Correct |>

I originally found out about Mothers on a gun forum. People polishing their SS pistols with Mothers and the results were stunning so I thought I would give it a whirl.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Those were some truly amazing results. I may have to give Mothers a try. I had read about the benefits of using Mothers previously. However, after reading the label on the back of the container about surfaces NOT to use it on, I began to worry about using it on my watches, being afraid it would damage them. What does it say to avoid on the back of the container? I can't recall for sure now. As for microfiber cloths, the auto detailing people in various auto forums tend to recommend various Cobra branded microfiber cloths as the best. The zwipes are definitely cheaper and easier to find though. Does anyone have experience using Cobra cloths on watches? I have seen a couple other nanofiber cloths on ebay specifically designed or at least marketed primarily for watch use. Anybody used those?

Correct |>

I originally found out about Mothers on a gun forum. People polishing their SS pistols with Mothers and the results were stunning so I thought I would give it a whirl.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I have a friend who owns a dental lab, he has this pink clay substance that he holds onto a high speed rotating soft pad and it polishes anything. It will make brushed steel mirror-like if you want to spend the time. He's ordering me a stick of it to use with a dremel. I'll ask him what it's called when it comes in.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts