WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My name is Damian and this is my first post on the forum. I am a 35-year-old high school art teacher and a professional artist looking to purchase my first "legit" timepiece. My budget is around $2,500 max. I would like to buy something than can go equally well with khakis and a dress shirt during the week, or raw denim and a flannel shirt on the weekend. I love the classic looks, as well as the contrasting colors, of the Rolex GMT Master II Pepsi, the Zenith El Primero 36'000 VPH and the Tag Heuer Carrera Calibre 16 Model. Unfortunately, these watches are far beyond my reach. I also have a liking for some minimalist German watches - particularly the Stowa Fleiger without logo and the Junghans Max Bill Chronoscope. I have also dedicated much time to searching for vintage models of "reputable" brands online, but still haven't found much. Perhaps I need to narrow my search criteria.

Please let me know what you might do in my situation. Also, if you suggest that I go the vintage route, I would be grateful for advice on where (what sites) to search, along with a general ballpark of makers/models/years.

Any and all advice is much appreciated.

·
Registered
721 Posts
You are looking for your first real watch? I wasn't aware there were imaginary watch companies out there. Anyway, you can find good automatic watches from $70-$100 (Orient and Seiko) all the way up to obscene amounts of money.

For less than $2,500 and classically styled I recommend Nomos as another poster did. They are sweet watches. But if by classic you mean something with 60's and 70's vibes (ie. funky and fun) try Rado...specially the Rado D-Star 200. It is an excellent watch.

Here are artist pictures of the two watches in question. Let us know what you mean by classy (simple traditional or 60's & 70's fun.)

1) Nomos
nomostangomatdatef_1229_detail.jpg

2) Rado
Rado-D-Star-200-Dive-Watches-4.jpg

·
Registered
57 Posts
Interesting choices. The Rolex Pepsi really pops from the color on the bezel, but other than that, the GMT is a pretty subdued watch. The Tag is extremely equipped with complication and that racing background gives it an obvious moto feel. The Zenith is also packed with complications, but it's a bit more sleek and elegant than the others. It's a bit hard to narrow it down because the range of choices is pretty wide. Maybe you can narrow it down a little?

How about a slick, yet unique Oris chronograph? Here are some pics I think you may like:

6164942151_e34be0cf07.jpg
Oris Raid 2011 (Motor Sport)- The black dial with white center is pretty cool, plus the position of the complications. The red on the chronograph and hour pop as well.

581.7566.43.61.LS.jpg
Oris Big Crown Complication- nice looking moonphase on this guy, but everything else is rather understated. A quiet, more intimate pop of color.

You might also want to take a gander at the Artelier and the Oris Divers. Nomos seems like a good brand too. I can't vouch for it since I don't know anything about their watches.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
I think Nomos would be perfect.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Nomos is good. Also since you are an artist, you might enjoy hand wind watches since there is something very old school and romantic about winding your own watches and watching the mechanism tick.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I would have to agree with the other comments and recommend Nomos. In my opinion you cannot get a better new watch at this price point. Pictured is the Nomos Club Datum. $2370.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I, too, like the Stowa Flieger. What about a Timefactors precista dive watch? One of each will set you back about $1500.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Vintage Rolex or Omega gets my vote.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Nomos.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the helpful advice. I should preface this reply by first stating that, when referring to "real" watches, my vantage point may have been obscured by reading one too many posts by the Watch Snob.

It seems like most of you agree that a Nomos would be the best choice for me. I do like the look of them but, dare I say that they look a bit "cheap" considering their price point? Just my opinion. I also forgot to mention that I love the look of many of the Sinn models, especially the flieger chronographs. It seems like they get a lot of love on the forums as well, and seem to be a popular option for people wanting to buy a $1500-$2500 "real" watch. =) How would you say that Sinn watches, on the whole, rate vs. Nomos?

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Thanks for all the helpful advice. I should preface this reply by first stating that, when referring to "real" watches, my vantage point may have been obscured by reading one too many posts by the Watch Snob.

It seems like most of you agree that a Nomos would be the best choice for me. I do like the look of them but, dare I say that they look a bit "cheap" considering their price point? Just my opinion. I also forgot to mention that I love the look of many of the Sinn models, especially the flieger chronographs. It seems like they get a lot of love on the forums as well, and seem to be a popular option for people wanting to buy a $1500-$2500 "real" watch. =) How would you say that Sinn watches, on the whole, rate vs. Nomos?
No contest. Sinn all the way.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
3,523 Posts

I think Nomos is better, they get rave reviews and the price for an in-house movement is unbeatable.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
My dad has a LeCoultre from (I believe) the late 70's/early 80's that has a round gold case and a black square face. An interesting piece that I cannot seem to find any information on. Maybe one day...
JLC is a fantastic brand (I LOVE mine), but it will be difficult to find a modern one in this price range. You could check out a vintage LeCoultre, like the Memovox (very cool watch) which will be well within your budget.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts