WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am a complete newbie with regard to mechanical watches, and everything I think I know comes from this site.

This is my first post. I have two questions:

Is Ashford grey-market or not?

What is daily inaccuracy is considered defective for a watch like this new Hamilton Broadway Chrono (H43516171)?

It seems to be 20-30 seconds fast/day. This has been confirmed with beat counting phone apps, and actual measurement. Swatch service center says -10 to +15/day is within spec.

Background:
I recently purchased a Hamilton Broadway Chronograph like this, from Ashford for a really good price (1/3 retail).

It came with a blank international warranty card.

I thought Ashfored was grey-market, and therefore there is no manufacturer warranty.

However, As you can see in the link above. Ashford claims to be authorized dealer, and if you go to warranty pages, the explicitly states Hamilton has manufacturers warranty.

Not taking Ashfords word for this, I called Swatch service center, and they stated that Ashford is an authorized dealer, and that no warranty card is required, and that a receipt is all that is required.

FWIW, the local authorized Hamilton dealer said they could only come down 15% or 25% (I forgot which) from retail without suffering Hamiltons wrath. When I told them the price, they said there is no way that it is not grey-market and will be factory serviced under warranty. They also said the price was below cost, and advised me that because the price is so good, I may want to keep it, if it is real, and have it regulated/repaired, and not return it.

As a side note, I would not have been alerted to the inaccuracy if I had not bought a Tissot PRS516 powermatic 80 3 days earlier, that keeps time within -2-4 seconds/day under identical conditions. Yes, I went from no mechanical watches to 2 in 3 days.

·
Registered
7,472 Posts
I believe Ashford is actually an authorized dealer for Hamilton. But please double check before making your purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,505 Posts
At the time of your question, I personally could not give you a concrete answer about whether or not Ashford's is a grey market dealer and if they provide a factory warranty — because I have read mixed reviews concerning them.

So, I did some further digging and found an interesting article from Money Inc about 10 Things You Didn't Know About Ashford Watches that you may want to consider prior to purchasing through them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yes, as stated above, I called the Swatch service center, and they confirmed that Ashford is an authorized dealer. A receipt from Ashford is all that is required for warranty. Warranty card is not required.

Sorry that was not clear. Here is the TL;DR; version:
1. I bought a Hamilton Broadway Chrono from Ashford realizing it might be grey market from reading this site,
2. It is borderline defective running 30 sec fast/day,
3. I called Swatch, who confirmed that:
  • 30 seconds fast/day is defective (-10 to +15 is considered good),
  • Ashford is an authorized dealer and is therefore not greymaret in this case.
  • Signed warranty card is not required to get warranty service. Receipt is enough.
My conclusion is that I do not need to return for immediate refund or exchange because they watch is under 2 year factory warranty.

Also, I read the article linked above, and I could not determine what the controversy mentioned in the article was. The article appears to be a promotional article promoting Ashford.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
I'm missing the problem here.

Bought from a verified AD.

Authorized SC says it can be factory serviced under warranty with just a receipt from the seller. (Ashford)

So send it in for regulation under warranty.

Question: If you never would have noticed the inaccuracy had you not gotten the Tissot how did you determine the accuracy of the Tissot?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm missing the problem here.

Bought from a verified AD.

Authorized SC says it can be factory serviced under warranty with just a receipt from the seller. (Ashford)

So send it in for regulation under warranty.

Question: If you never would have noticed the inaccuracy had you not gotten the Tissot how did you determine the accuracy of the Tissot?
Sorry, I guess there is no real problem and I did not state a problem. I guess it was more of an observation that, contrary to apparent conventional wisdom, Ashford is not always grey market, and warranty cards are not always required for service.

Ashford accused of being grey market when it is not in many cases. Ashford claims factory service is provide for these brands:
Avi-8
Blancpain
Bomberg
CCCP
Calvin Klein
Girard Perragaux
Glashutte
Glycine
Hamilton
Invicta
Jacques Lemans
Jaquet Droz
Luminox
Rado
Spinnaker
Technomarine
Thomas Earnshaw
Tissot

It seems that the conventional wisdom on the internet (including this site, reddit, etc.) "Ashford is grey market", and "no signed warranty card means no warranty" is not always true.

With regard to the accuracy,. I used shortwave radio atomic clock, ran the watches for a few days, and then measured the error.

Since I am completely new to automatic watches, without the Tissot to compare to, I would have just assumed that 20-30 seconds fast is normal. The Tissot cost less than 1/3 the price of the Hamilton ($199), yet is much more accurate out of the box. I just thought that was interesting.

I also found it interesting what the accuracy specs were. I could not find any information on the internet stating what is considered acceptable accuracy for a new automatic watch.

Please excuse me, I am a newbie.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I first noticed Ashford's flying the "Authorized Dealer" banner for Hamilton and a few other brands a few months ago. It might have been there longer. That's good news if they have the model you're looking for, but their selection is a bit on the small side. If I were a regular AD, I wouldn't be happy about the situation, but that's between the regular AD's and Hamilton to hash out.

·
Premium Member
14,750 Posts
If you called the Swatch service center and they confirmed Ashford as a dealer, why are you asking if they are a dealer on here? Swatch is much more the authority than people on here

As for the watch, did you try to demagnetize it?

·
Premium Member
36,316 Posts
If you called the Swatch service center and they confirmed Ashford as a dealer, why are you asking if they are a dealer on here? Swatch is much more the authority than people on here

As for the watch, did you try to demagnetize it?

De magging it might help. Cheap and easy to do yourself.

As stated by Mediocre, I would take Swatch at it's word as well on AD's.

Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts